Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bk800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Chicago
I need some suggestions I recently got an ATV for my main TV, but became disappointed with the lack of content, I replaced the ATV with the Roku and moved the ATV to my iMac, only to discover that the regular HDMI cable will not fit the iMac, my question what kind of HDIM cable will fit the ATV and the iMac?
Thanks for your help

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I need some suggestions I recently got an ATV for my main TV, but became disappointed with the lack of content, I replaced the ATV with the Roku and moved the ATV to my iMac, only to discover that the regular HDMI cable will not fit the iMac, my question what kind of HDIM cable will fit the ATV and the iMac?
Thanks for your help

As far as I am aware no iMacs have ever had HDMI ports. They have Mini displayports on the 2009 and 2010 and Thunderbolt ports on the 2011 and 2012....

Sorry, I don't think you can do what you want to do unless you can find some converter (and most likely will be very expensive).

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for your help
Yeah, not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish. The aTV does not feed the iMac. The iMac (iTunes) feeds the aTV.

Bk800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Chicago
HDMI cable foe ATV

Hi all, thanks for all the information, I just had a quick conversation with an Apple representative and they confirmed that the ATV can't be used on my iMac, it's use is only for a TV, so now I need to decide on keeping it or selling it, the thought did hit me on hooking it up on another TV, but I am so impressed with the Roku, that I was thinking about getting one for the other TV as well O well, again thanks for the information

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Hi all, thanks for all the information, I just had a quick conversation with an Apple representative and they confirmed that the ATV can't be used on my iMac, it's use is only for a TV, so now I need to decide on keeping it or selling it, the thought did hit me on hooking it up on another TV, but I am so impressed with the Roku, that I was thinking about getting one for the other TV as well O well, again thanks for the information

if u have a 2011+ 27" i heard you can connect to any device via Mini Displayport>hdmi adapter

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
He's trying to go the other way, I gather. He wants to display ATV output on the iMac.

You can do that. You don't need a cable. Update to the latest firmware, and if you have Mountain Lion, you can Airplay from the ATV to your iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.