Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Rather like you, I'm relatively new to Android.
  1. Nova Launcher
  2. HD Widgets
  3. SwiftKey
  4. Barclays Banking
  5. uTorrent
At the top of my wish list would be TweetBot for Android, and I've just started using EverNote. Debating apps to lockdown the phone in terms of security and could do with a decent podcast app to automatically download new editions of certain shows.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Thank you. I believe it's called "DarkLudi" for those who have Beautiful Widgets.

So I downloaded the beautiful widgets app but every time I search for the dark ludi widget/skin it tells me no results found. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
So I downloaded the beautiful widgets app but every time I search for the dark ludi widget/skin it tells me no results found. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

It's definitely called "DarkLudi". It's one word.

Try looking for "Glossy Stickers HD" cause they look almost exactly the same.

Hope that helps.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
It's definitely called "DarkLudi". It's one word.

Try looking for "Glossy Stickers HD" cause they look almost exactly the same.

Hope that helps.

I found it thanks for the help!

Edit: Sorry to keep bothering you but how did you get it to look like that?
Screenshot_2013-02-06-22-56-48.png
Thats the best I can do atm

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
My new Nexus 4 arrived today and being a diehard iOS user, I'm not sure where to begin. If anyone has their top 5 android apps they'd recommend I'd love to check them out!

I am also an iPhone convert. Went from a 4S to a Nexus 4 and it has been pretty great. Here are some apps I find myself using quite often:

K9 email client (not as user friendly as iOS, but it is very customizable)
Chrome (already mentioned by someone else)
Astrid tasks (I was in love with reminders, and this is the closest thing you will get)
Cerberus (Find my iPhone on steroids, although it takes some time to set up properly)
Team Viewer (for VNC purposes)
Slice (I order a lot of stuff online, and this is great for keeping all my orders organized with ZERO user input outside of initial setup. After that, it monitors your email)
Dropbox (for obvious reasons)
Plex (only if you have Plex Media Server on your computer)
MoboPlayer (great media player for Android. If you go to the homescreen while playing a video, it will make a popup and give you TRUE multitasking)
SetCPU (if you are rooted. Can help save battery)
Google Music (love having all my playlists up to date)
Google Wallet (don't use too often, but I have a couple times)
Power Toggles (I don't use the widget for it, I use it to always show controls in my notifications area and also use it do show my battery percentage. If you ever used SBSettings on iOS jailbroken, this is way better.)

I don't really use widgets, so I can't give too much advice there.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I don't see it mentioned here but if you want a really fast browser try Dolphin Jetpack. It also gives you a full-screen browsing experience that Chrome cannot yet offer.

Takes a little while to get used to it, but once you do it really flies. I still use Chrome as my main browser but will usually open links in Dolphin for its speed.

Michael

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This is what I have so far - its always evolving, but I think I finally have it somewhat set.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-07-11-52-35.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-07-11-52-35.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 95

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
ES File Explorer is great and if you have root you can access your root files. It is an open source app. Allows you to access google drive, dropbox etc.

GMD Gesure control - free version allows for some cool gestures, turning off screen is one option.

Amazon AppStore (through the Amazon site) - One free app a day. Usually nothing spectacular, but once in a while, there's a gem.

No Lock - allows you to turn off your lock screen when you feel you don't need it (when you're at home, for example). I love this.

How do I install the amazon app through the amazon site? Is it available in the UK?

I tried NO LOCK but don't like the way that it works. It doesn't actually unlock the phone but interupts the phone on screen wake.

What I mean is if you restart your phone it doesn't work. I use a gesture to turn my screen off with GMD gestures and even if my screen unlock is enabled it still requires a password.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
By far my favourite file manager is Solid Explorer. I've tried most of them and it has all the features of ES but with a much better interface with much smoother scrolling and does 2 panes in landscape. It does cost a couple of dollars but well worth it.

My other favourite apps:

Airdroid
Evernote
Falcon Pro - twitter
Flixster
IMDB
IMO messenger
MX Player Pro and VLC - the two best video players
Poweramp - THE best music player by a long way.
Tapatalk - forums
TED
tTorrent
Series Guide
Tasker
Snapseed - awesome free image editor
FB Contact-Sync
CSipSimple - by far the best SIP client
Netflix
Pandora/Spotify

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.