Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
It's funny how the iPhone has been out years before the iPad but yet going with model numbers, there's just as many as the iPhone now.

Because the iPad hasn't had the "S" sub upgrades every other year. I suppose the current 4th Gen is the first one that could really be called the iPad 3S as it was a relatively minor tweak going to new dock connector and speedier processor, with everything else (size, screen, weight, basic design) being relatively the same. But it came on more a 6 month refresh cycle rather than the full year that has gone between iPhone upgrades.

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
The larger screen means nothing if the resolution is the same.

Believe me ... I'm with you in saying that I'd rather get an iPad Mini than an iPad if they have the same exact resolution. But, a larger screen makes things bigger on screen, even though you might not see more. So it does mean something, at the very least.

But to add to my example, there are 13" and 15" laptops that have 1080p screens. Both sell, regardless.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
So sexy. I wish I could have one on android.

I wonder if anyone's been able to hack it in there, or is working on it.

A boot camp iPad would rock. Hard.

As far as hardware goes, I feel Apple is always steps ahead everyone else.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Completely agree. I was exaggerating on Apple's claim to iOS 6 having 200 new features. Agreed it wasn't fonts but iOS 6 doesn't feel like it has 200 new features to me to consider it a X.0 release. On a positive note I think we're in for a nice surprise with iOS now that Johnny Ive has taken over as its head of design. I'm not sure if we will see some of his work in iOS 7 or if we will have to wait for iOS 8 for that.

I don't know how long do they normally work on a new OS and how long before releasing it they start! I would guess that some sort of work for iOS 7 would have started before Eve took over. Maybe we will see Eves influence on iOS this year. Either way, i don't think they can afford another disappointment.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Or maybe they happen to like it? Not everyone is in love with big a** phones.
The iPhone 5 isn't a big phone.

Nor would it be if Apple simply increased the width a mere 8mm to allow more room for typing in the landscape mode.

But then again, change is feared by those who believe only Apple knows what's best for them.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
This again feels like evolution, not revolution.
Is a new product category what Apple is supposed to come up with each time? If evolution is so disappointing, stick with the iPad 1, or buy another company's products which you feel are more innovative.

Curious if you feel the same way about cars.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Seeing that Jonny got his new title of Human Interface Design late last year, I'm going to say iOS 8. It's too soon to see his influence, in my opinion, in iOS 7.

Perhaps, but we don't know if Apple wasn't already planning some UI changes in iOS 7 even before Ive got the software job, and we don't know if some of Ives ideas had already been prototyped and hashed out before he got the job as well.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
When the iPad was first released, I absolutely hated it.
Now, it's grown on me.
By the time the iPad 10 is released, I'll probably love it.
By the time the iPad 15 is released, I'll be advocating for the right to marry the damn thing.
For my sake, let's hope Apple doesn't take it that far.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
When the iPad was first released, I absolutely hated it.
Now, it's grown on me.
By the time the iPad 10 is released, I'll probably love it.
By the time the iPad 15 is released, I'll be advocating for the right to marry the damn thing.
For my sake, let's hope Apple doesn't take it that far.

Siri will be self aware by then and you could legally marry her.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I was hoping they would go with the thinner bezel for the iPad 5 but a larger screen as well. Instead of 9.7 inch diagonally it could be 10.5 or something.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
They could. All you need the too bezel for is the camera and light sensor. Those aren't that big. The bottom needs space for the home button but they could always make it smaller or even move the button to the side either as its own button or as functions in the existing ones. Well the ones that can't be replaced by a gesture. Already they have replaced returning to home and the task bar with swipes. How about a five finger double tap to get out of screen 'edit' mode. Siri could be by depressing both volume buttons at the same time. Screenshots could that and the sleep button as it basically is now (with holding them down doing the restart etc). Sure they might have to redo the volume buttons on some models to make it work but it could be feasible, should they not want to add another button or switch to a lozenge style.
The home button should be put on the back

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
That's a good point. I think in terms of adding features that would improve the overall user experience to get things done quicker would be ideal. Adding toggle like widgets for disabling and enabling wifi, sync, gps and etc with a slide down bar or something would be handy to have. I also think multitasking between various apps could also be improved upon too.

Not me. I really don't care about a fresh new GUI for iOS. I want stability in the device, in my data connections and perhaps more APIs for developers. I am fine with the basic UI for the OS because I'm generally in apps so that is what needs to improve.

I don't need to be able to hang icons off the grid or have them spin and flip. Or a moving wallpaper. Or most of the things that folks add when they jailbreak. I'm to really bothered by the burying of wifi etc in the settings enough to mess with my stuff but if Apple gave us the option to have them in the task bar I would turn it down. I don't care about a universal and accessible file system like the Finder outside of perhaps having a single bucket for common file types like PDFs. Or even just a bucket that we can't see directly so that we can cut the headaches of switching apps or file sharing project files etc (which right now require sharing from the app bucket to the iTunes file sharing bucket). I would also love to see iOS and iTunes get it together on backups so that it detects things like you aren't syncing contacts OTA to anything or to iTunes and warns you, backs up app data and texts separately so if you delete an app by accident you can restore just that data without wiping the whole thing or just texts and no other data etc.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Is now the time to sell my iPad 4?

Yes, because as soon as they release the new ipad, yours will be outdated and virtually useless. If you sell it now, at least you will get something for it. If you wait no one will want an obsolete ipad.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Actually i kind of like windows 8 look on a phone. Different.

I tried it on a demo and it sucked. But I do give them props for trying to make something totally different

----------

I know they are 'addressing' the thumb on screen issue with such a small bezel... but how does this affect gaming?

Is all in the programming. When you create an app you set the sensitive zone for use/play. Smart developers don't pull that area all the way out to avoid such issues.

----------

I disagree. I still think this is an evolution. Clearly Apple have looked into what made the iPad great and what can be removed. Trimming off the fat. Definitely an evolution.

In a way it is both. Choosing to make small changes using established and presumably stable tech rather than tossing in something new and untested just to spec whore is a revolutionary way of thinking.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The iPad 5 will likely require an IGZO display as a thinner, lighter device means a smaller battery and thinner display while still keeping the same high-res screen....

Or the IGZO display will be a step in keeping the same relative thickness while giving more space for a bigger battery, chipsets to support all forms of cell data in one unit, better camera, more storage, or a combo.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Or the IGZO display will be a step in keeping the same relative thickness while giving more space for a bigger battery, chipsets to support all forms of cell data in one unit, better camera, more storage, or a combo.

Either/or - still doesn't negate the fact that advancements/innovations are happening, they just aren't as immediately visible to the average consumer and therefore spawn this whole "Apple is stale and doomed" mentality.

ledocol

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
New York
And then touch the screen with your thumbs all the time. I also think it's not that good looking. But that's just me.

I don't like the skinnier look either. I wish they'd keep the thumb area unchanged. iPhone 5 lost in appearance as, as it got thinner.

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Want to spark a real debate? What's the correct way of pronouncing "chamfer?"

"Cham-fur" "Sham-fur" "Cahm-fer" or (if you've got a Boston accent) "Kaaaam-fah'd"

spotlight07

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2007
How soon before they eliminate the bezel and do edge-to-edge screen?

I think the finger detection software works pretty good for me. Let's get rid of the bezel, use home button gesture (remove home button), and move camera behind the display. Edge-to-edge display.

Then, can I have an iPad Mini that folds in half and has phone call capabilities? That way I can fit it into my pocket, have a huge screen, and not have to carry my iPhone (two devices) around with me.

I have never met a more perfect device than the iPad Mini (except maybe the Newton, for its time).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.