Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inaka

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
Great looking bag! Let us know how it is when it arrives.

I picked up this guy for myself.

http://goincase.com/products/detail/nylon-sling-sleeve-cl60034
I just got the STM Bags Alley Air Small for 11" and 13" MacBook Air from eBags. Got the bag today, and wow, it actually exceeds my expectations.
It fits the 13" MacBook Air like a glove.

Here are some pics with the 13" MBA to show the size, fit, etc.

It's literally a perfect fit, with an dual interior pocket that protects the MBA from surrounding space, etc.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 151

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
I also just got the STM Bags Alley Air Small. I carry an 11" air and an iPad in it. The bag has a divided compartment for the air and for the iPad and another compartment that will hold a small amount of files, etc. And of course a few pockets, some zipped, some not, for pens, cell phone, chargers, etc. Also a key holder. One drawback is the ripping sound of the velcro. Inexpensive and works fairly well for my needs. Of course, my wife wonders why I need to keep getting various types of bags and cases!

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I hope that this isn't too off topic.

I'm thinking about getting a macbook air (either 2012 or waiting for 2013 model)

I have a 13-inch macbook pro now that I carry in a women's laptop bag. It has a padded section for the laptop (rather large actually) and space for all my other crap so I can use it as my main work purse. I use it to transport my laptop to and from work everyday (10 min walk + 15 bus ride).

Do you think this regular laptop bag will be sufficient protection for an air? I guess my main concern is accidentally bending the air because it is so thin. I am interested in the 13-inch air btw. I often need to carry a lot of other stuff in my bag so I'm not sure if just the padded sleeve section is enough although I've never had an issue with the mbp.

Also are there any light sleeves that are hard? I'm not really interested in a hard case that is permanently attached to the computer but I assume I would need something rigid to protect against bending? Or am I over thinking things?

Thanks in advance!

Handyman1

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Do you think this regular laptop bag will be sufficient protection for an air? I guess my main concern is accidentally bending the air because it is so thin. I am interested in the 13-inch air btw. I often need to carry a lot of other stuff in my bag so I'm not sure if just the padded sleeve section is enough although I've never had an issue with the mbp.

As long as you don't sit on the laptop, I don't think you need to worry about bending a Macbook Air. They are thin, but very rigid.

As to size, the Air should fit well into a bag that fit a Macbook Pro 13" If the Macbook Pro 13 was very loose-fitting in the bag, the Air will be too. You could put the Air in a sleeve I suppose, but its not particularly necessary. The sleeve will protect the Air from other items in the bag, if any.

raftr

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Ireland
As long as you don't sit on the laptop, I don't think you need to worry about bending a Macbook Air. They are thin, but very rigid.

One thing to be careful about: it is very easy to get keyboard and trackpad edge marks etched in the screen when the Air is in transport. A thin microfibre cloth (like those often added to glasses) placed on the centre of your keyboard and top edge of the trackpad will protect the screen from those.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Booq Mamba Courier 11

Just picked up one of these:

41ZM0AIk1LL._SS400_.jpg

http://www.booqbags.com/us/shoulder-bags/mamba-courier/MCR11-SND

In "Sand" on Amazon. I hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread, I have seen zero reviews (other than for its bigger brothers) so I took the plunge.

Looks like an excellent bag for the price, perfect fit for my 11". It's so incredibly hard to find a bag that isn't a Muzetto (which frankly, is getting really played out at this point) for the 11s.

I'll have it in my hands Saturday (Love you, Amazon Prime!!) and report back with all the nitty gritty details and pictures.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
i just ordered at be.ez sleeve for my macbook air 2013 13"
http://www.be-ez.com/la-robe-air-black-addict.en.html
i went with black wasabi

then i bought a translucent clear case also
http://www.moshimonde.com/product/iglaze-air.aspx

the above case was a bit expensive, cost me $64, and the be.ez la robe air sleeve was about $23. as soon as i get both of them next week, i will post pictures.

as far as bag goes, i have my small deuter backpack daybag or use the the north face recon backpack.

I have the moshi shell and think it is fantastic...wise choice...

Joel

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012

In "Sand" on Amazon. I hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread, I have seen zero reviews (other than for its bigger brothers) so I took the plunge.

Looks like an excellent bag for the price, perfect fit for my 11". It's so incredibly hard to find a bag that isn't a Muzetto (which frankly, is getting really played out at this point) for the 11s.

I'll have it in my hands Saturday (Love you, Amazon Prime!!) and report back with all the nitty gritty details and pictures.

Let me know how you like it. I've been interested in a similiar bag on etsy for some time but may get this instead.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/114280895/wool-felt-casual-bag-shoulder-bag?ref=sr_gallery_1&sref=sr_319f092f8c6f44efe985fca4fa268c355b049c70a0c0e9317864db1e6511b48e_1356348483_14478142_messenger_bag&ga_search_query=Wool+messenger+bag&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Here's my crumpler sleeve for my 13", I'm a fan of their products especially their camera bags for my business...

20110915009.jpg

20110915004.jpg

20110915003.jpg

This just made my day. I'm looking for a sleeve for my macbook air that adds minimal bulk because it's just going to be in my bag anyway.

Does anyone else have experience with this sleeve? Is it easy to put the MBA in and get it out? I currently have an Acme sleeve that I picked up from the apple store which is ok but a bit bulky (yes I really want as thin as possible) and difficult to pull the laptop out of...

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
I have the moshi shell and think it is fantastic...wise choice...

Joel

I'll 2nd (3rd, 4th...whatever) that! Just picked up a Moshi Shell and a Moshi keyboard protector and I'm in Moshiheaven. :)

Great products, highly recommended!!

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I'll 2nd (3rd, 4th...whatever) that! Just picked up a Moshi Shell and a Moshi keyboard protector and I'm in Moshiheaven. :)

Great products, highly recommended!!

I too have the keyboard protector which does a great job of protecting the keys though it does get cloudy / murky after a bit from the oil in one's hands...I will try cleaning it later in the week per the instructions on the Moshi site -- water and dish soap -- and see what happens.

Overall I am very happy with the Moshi products.

Joel

mfa39

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
Ended up buying a Herschel Heritage sleeve instead of the Simplism one I asked about so I'm sure it's worth the money.

Is anyone here using their macbook air ~naked? Or has used it naked for quite a while? Wondering if I'm going to need a hard case or not. Does the Air get scratched up?

Last edited:

Donia330i

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013

has this bag ever arrived? If so can you please post some pics and a review. Thanks!

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I'm looking for a HARD shell for my son's 13" Macbook Air. He wants to take it to school every day in his bulging with text books backpack. So for my quest aesthetics and weight don't matter. I'm after the equivalent of a small steel shoebox with padding on the inside, not a hard case that covers the MBA and is attached to it. Any suggestions?

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
i really love my moshi iglaze macbook air 13" case. i can't even tell its there. and the outer material is made of something that is scratch resistant.

i paired it wih the be.ez macbook air sleeve. it's a bit tight, but i feel it's one of the best sleeves out there.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Ended up buying a Herschel Heritage sleeve instead of the Simplism one I asked about so I'm sure it's worth the money.

Is anyone here using their macbook air ~naked? Or has used it naked for quite a while? Wondering if I'm going to need a hard case or not. Does the Air get scratched up?

I've been using my 2010 MBA nekkid since the day I received it. And yes it gets a few dings and scratches. Mine still looks very nice, and has had several collisions with Cisco switches I was configuring. Very durable machine. I imagine if you arent a field technician, and if you take care of it with a sleeve/occasional cleaning, it will stay pretty well pristine. And don't dump liquids into it.

FYI as a product pitch, I use a Waterfield Designs Laptop Sleeve. It has been a great product and their support is wonderful.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I think it is what most users do. I only use a bag to transport the notebook (and some other items I require). I've done this with all my notebooks so far and I don't feel any need to change it. The MBA as well as the MBP handles scratches fine. Just use them what they are for and you won't have any problems with scratching. Just don't use them as a tray though :)

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
Does anyone have the SFBags Cityslicker for the 13" MBA? I have one form my 15" rMBP that I sold and use for my air, but it is so big for the air. I am not sure if I should sell it and get the one for the air or not. Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to use it for the air since it is a different overall size than the 15" one.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam

I've got my 11" MBA since it was introduced, It's getting a bit slow, but it looks almost like new, new scratches whatsoever, the only thing where you can see that it's used is the rubber feet :)

I never used the ugly hard cases, I used to use foofbag sleeves, but with the MBA I switched to really beautiful leather sleeves from Joli originals. I'm also a big fan of Crumpler bags to carry the laptop around in, but since I also have a 15" and crumpler doesn't make nice big backpacks anymore I switched to a Chromebag backpack. I can highly recommend both the Chromebag as the Joli originals products! :)

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
MacBook Air 11" Purse

I'd like to buy my wife a purse, not a messenger bag, for her MacBook Air 11". I read the "Bags, Sleeves & Cases" thread and searched the site, but didn't find any purses, and the ones I've found online are too expensive for us.

Is there a purse you would recommend that:

• Has a compartment for the MacBook Air 11"
  • Has a main compartment for a wallet, lotion, makeup, etc.
  • Has a front pocket for receipts, passes, etc.
  • Costs $100 or less
Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.