Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walfrieda

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
does it finally fix the "spotlight keeps indexing" bug and the high power consumption (low battery life)???

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The only bug I care about is one that happens when I use Transmit and Textwrangler. If I open a file off an FTP server, edit it and save it, I have to quit Textwrangler before opening another file from Transmit. If I forget to quite Textwrangler, Transmit freezes. This is a bug that started happening when 10.8.2 was released.

Textwrangler has a builtin in FTP and SFTP functions, try using that. It has streamlined my work considerably.

----------

I hope that after they release 10.8.3, they release an update to Bootcamp so I can install Windows 8 (with full support).

10.8.3 beta already has support for Windows 8 in Bootcamp... doesn't it?

----------

I have the feeling that this long-awaited 10.8.3 is gonna cause MORE problems than what it purports to fix...

Based on what? A long beta period (with lots of iterations) like this is usually a good thing.

----------

clunkier Chrome as my browser of choice.

Clunkier? I guess that's why Safari, Firefox and IE have all completely ripped off the uncluttered and simplified Chrome UI then? :rolleyes:

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
The only bug I care about is one that happens when I use Transmit and Textwrangler. If I open a file off an FTP server, edit it and save it, I have to quit Textwrangler before opening another file from Transmit. If I forget to quite Textwrangler, Transmit freezes. This is a bug that started happening when 10.8.2 was released, and both Panic and Barebones have said it's up to Apple to fix it. It's made work much less efficient for me because if I want to edit a CSS file and multiple HTML files, I have to do work on one, save and close it, open the other, save and close it, and go back and forth. It's a horrible waste of time.
I have the same problem with Transmit + SubEthaEdit. I suspected it was an OS bug, but hadn't gotten around to confirming with the developers. Glad you did.

So, add me to the list of people hoping this is fixed in 10.8.3!

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
The only bug I care about is one that happens when I use Transmit and Textwrangler. If I open a file off an FTP server, edit it and save it, I have to quit Textwrangler before opening another file from Transmit. If I forget to quite Textwrangler, Transmit freezes. This is a bug that started happening when 10.8.2 was released, and both Panic and Barebones have said it's up to Apple to fix it. It's made work much less efficient for me because if I want to edit a CSS file and multiple HTML files, I have to do work on one, save and close it, open the other, save and close it, and go back and forth. It's a horrible waste of time.

Have you tried FileZilla instead of Transmit? I use TextWrangler and FileZilla all the time and they play well together.

-P

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Wonder If this will be the last 10.8 update till OSX 10.9 is released?
That's my guess. They want to get 10.8 as stable as they can before dedicating all their resources to 10.9.0.

Might see a minor 10.8.4 release after 10.9 is out though.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
this must be the last beta before release

Not necessarily. People have said that for the last three or four releases.

Wonder If this will be the last 10.8 update till OSX 10.9 is released?

In the past, the last update has been around the time of public release of the next major update. They haven't even announced 10.9 or started external betas, so assuming they do what they have done in the past, there should be at least one more. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up at 10.8.5 since we're months away from 10.9 release.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I don't know if this is common knowledge by now but this is basically what apple lists 10.8.3 will fix (when installing 12D65):

"The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:
• The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
• Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
• Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
• A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
• A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
• Includes Safari 6.0.3"

81Steven

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2011
I don't know if this is common knowledge by now but this is basically what apple lists 10.8.3 will fix (when installing 12D65):

"The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:
• The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
• Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
• Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive

• A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
• A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
• Includes Safari 6.0.3"
Are these mentioned only in the installer? there is a screenshot of these 2 features?

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Are these mentioned only in the installer? there is a screenshot of these 2 features?

I took a screenshot of the installer:

invpduJ.png

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
I hate to say it, but "this". Safari is a damn wreck. On the 4 rMBPs I've used, all four have the gif anomalie above, as well as wrecked CSS rendering on many websites, and going back a page yields a white screen. It's so bad that I use the slower, clunkier Chrome as my browser of choice. The thing is, internet browsing comprises the vast majority of people's computer usage, so why these problems still exist is beyond me. I have a hard time caring about slow boot times when I currently find web browsing to be more fun on my phone than on this $2k machine.

Don't even get me started on the CSS rendering in Safari. Things jumping around the page and disappearing as if a tiny poltergeist has climbed inside my computer and is having a fit. You think a program like Safari, which after a few hours of browsing takes up 2GB of RAM would at least be able to render the things I wish to look at correctly.

My main problem is that there is just no alternative that stacks up to Safari on a Mac. When I had a PC, I loved me some Opera, but not so much on the Mac. Now I have to just sit there and suffer random anomalies and page breaks.

Last edited:

walfrieda

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
could anyone comment on my question whether 10.8.3 fixes the "spotlight keeps indexing" bug and the high power consumption (low battery life)?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
could anyone comment on my question whether 10.8.3 fixes the "spotlight keeps indexing" bug and the high power consumption (low battery life)?

I haven't had either with any version of 10.8. Are you sure these are universal bugs?

walfrieda

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
I haven't had either with any version of 10.8. Are you sure these are universal bugs?

Yes, these are two of the most prominent "universal" bugs - the Apple forums are full of people having these issues. The high power consumption already started with 10.8.0 (I instantly "lost" two hours of battery life the very moment I installed 10.8.0), the spotlight indexing problem started with 10.8.2 and is caused by problems with sandboxing - which, by the way, causes many other problems that you can see in Console.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Based on what? A long beta period (with lots of iterations) like this is usually a good thing.

Your logic is perfectly right.

The problem I am predicting is as follows: with such a long beta period and a huge file, they will surely fix a LOT of previously-reported bugs. But also create a LOT of new, otherwise unknown ones...wait and see.

ghosthaunt11

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
I hope that after they release 10.8.3, they release an update to Bootcamp so I can install Windows 8 (with full support).

Why do you want to install Windows 8? It's as bad as Vista if not worse.

By the way, does anyone actually KNOW if this is the final beta before public release? I hope that this is the final beta because we've all had to wait a LOOOOONG time to update. As of now, we're still stuck with 10.8.2. At least that probably means that a whole bunch of bugs have been fixed and the OS will be a lot more stable (hopefully). We know that they fixed the "file" bug, which was critical. When I first heard of that bug, I tried it out on my MacBook Pro and sure enough, the app did crash. However, I don't care about that bug since I never need to type that. It is still a good idea to fix it, though.

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Nobody knows either way, although we're at a point where any of these builds could be the last one. Obviously they want to get it out as soon as they can, but the flip side is if they do more builds it should mean more bugs fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.