Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Edit: I guess it's not a big deal that it's Mac-only in this case, since it's kinda a specialized tool, not really a primary communication platform (IIRC).

Me and my wife use nothing but Macs (and both have iPhones), but the fact that this is Mac-only greatly diminishes it's value. Hopefully that is temporary. For a communication/sharing tool, I'd like to be able to communicate with the widest number of people.

Messages and Facetime, for example, work well, but it's a shame they are Apple-only because I'd love to communicate with non-Apple users with these products. Apple even said they were going to make Facetime an open protocol but then never followed through with that.

cebritt

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Austin, TX
Multi-user video chat

If you just want to do multi-user video chat, try oovoo.com. It runs on Mac and Windows and it's free.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
So essentially a video sharing and chat service no one will use. Brilliant!

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Well I am not a teenager so I will give this one a miss ;)

My thoughts exactly.

----------

This is the kind of crap that makes me go over to 9to5mac. I get that you have to pay your bills, but given that you own TouchArcade and AppShopper I'm pretty sure you dont need to stoop to creating such poor quality adverts and shoving them on the front page.

To be fair, 9to5mac also made a post about this.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
How much money did you (MacRumors) get to promote this? ;)

Hi MR,

Thanks for posting this ad as an article.

Seconded. This made my stomach churn.

This is totally unworthy of a post. A closed beta for a product of questionable worth? You should have to notify us when you're just posting something because they paid you.

This is the kind of crap that makes me go over to 9to5mac. I get that you have to pay your bills, but given that you own TouchArcade and AppShopper I'm pretty sure you dont need to stoop to creating such poor quality adverts and shoving them on the front page.

It's really very simple: We don't do sponsored posts.

Once in a while we participate in a bundle promotion in which we disclose that we receive a cut of the proceeds. We also use affiliate links at times. But that's the extent of it...if we're writing about an app or other product, it's because we think it's interesting and worth sharing.

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
No, it isn't redundant at all. When I went to college, that meant that all of my high school friends became long distance friends for the most part. We always watched some shows together beforehand, and we still do; the only difference is we have to use skype group calls. Do you realize how annoying and unintuitive it is to all load up the show/movie on hulu/netflix, wait for it to load, then countdown the play button and hope we're all synced up? It's too much hassle.

Honestly, this is the service I have always dreamed of having. The only downside is you have to have the camera on, which is a bit dumb, as we usually just voice chat; but that won't be a problem a simple ripped sticky note cant solve :p

Needless to say, I'm excited for this app!

----------

It opened just fine for me without any issues on my ML MBP 2011.

only in Indiana...

atsang

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
At work we have more than 10 people that video conference in from many locations for sprint planning and other misc *must attend* type meetings.

Skype has a 10 person limit. Webex is 7. Google+ is 10. We use Oovoo, but that's only 12.

This being unlimited is a good thing. I kind of doubt how high the video quality and qulaity of the connection will be (especially to India).

However, the fact this is mac only, and not multiplatform INCLUDING android and iOS is a huge fail.

Last edited:

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I never liked the circles in Lion, but at least this keeps it consistent.

----------

Redundant in my eyes.

You already have a lot of more mature services like Facetime, Skype etc. on OS X.

Yeah really, why are they making a startup that does this? It's like how there are so many startups that provide website statistics to companies.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
So... It's basically iChat that doesn't work with anything but a Mac running Lion or later. Not only is it exclusive to Macs (no iOS version), but it excludes many Mac users because it "requires OS X 10.7 or higher". I can't use 10.7, so forget that.

Who funded this thing?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I thought there was already something like this called FaceTime...

Oh? Your FaceTime allows multiple people to join in? Wowza.

Still not liking the UI and if aimed at teens I'm say no thanks; I'm too old.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm amazed by the swarm of negative comments and closed-minded arguments against this app. This is a fresh take on video chatting and is actually quite cool. I'm very impressed. And what people need to remember is that the R&D that went into developing this app/service will contribute to future services. Be thankful that the envelope continues to be pushed, don't complain.

----------

So... It's basically iChat that doesn't work with anything but a Mac running Lion or later. Not only is it exclusive to Macs (no iOS version), but it excludes many Mac users because it "requires OS X 10.7 or higher". I can't use 10.7, so forget that.

Who funded this thing?

It's a start.... first version... and it probably requires technology that is only available in 10.7 and later. If you want to use it, upgrade. Simple.

edfore

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
I'm amazed by the swarm of negative comments and closed-minded arguments against this app. This is a fresh take on video chatting and is actually quite cool. I'm very impressed. And what people need to remember is that the R&D that went into developing this app/service will contribute to future services. Be thankful that the envelope continues to be pushed, don't complain.

----------

It's a start.... first version... and it probably requires technology that is only available in 10.7 and later. If you want to use it, upgrade. Simple.

Well said.

smashing

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
One to watch

I too am surprised at some of the negativity. The marketing is a little cheesy perhaps, but I've seen the app in operation and for a beta it's very cool. I recommend trying it.

hitman0304

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008
I too am surprised at some of the negativity. The marketing is a little cheesy perhaps, but I've seen the app in operation and for a beta it's very cool. I recommend trying it.

I'd like to try this with my girlfriend. Could i snag an invite? Or does anyone here have one?

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013

But I can't upgrade. No kind of video chat technology NEEDS 10.7 or later. I used iChat in Panther back in the day and did video conferences on it. A startup actually has to bring something new to the table besides ridiculous system requirements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.