Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
I'm more about functionality and usability than glitz and glam. I like the iPhone. Simple to use, straight forward. But at the same time, it's still looks pretty decent. I can see your point that you get used to the OS, that it starts to become bland. I don't mind it. My beef with Apple, is that they concentrate to much on glitz and glam, and not enough on stability and consistency. Whenever they introduce a new iOS, they say it can do this and that, this is new. But issues that have been plaguing the iOS aren't addressed, or a slowly being addressed. Not to mention, that it never fails for some people. That after an update, their phones start glitching. Making them have to wipe it clean and restore or reinstall everything from scratch or backup. For some the issues are so bad, they have no choice but to replace the phone. When it was working just fine before the update.

Apple is getting better, and slowly improving the functionality and usability, but not soon enough, and not consistently enough. You can always JB your phone, to get more cool features for the iOS. But to answer your question about leaving. Unless the competition puts out a phone that will suit my needs as well or better than the iPhone, I'm staying. Also taking into consideration that my Android friends have their own gripes about their phones as well.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
In the end it is after all , a Phone, just how much innovation besides larger screen and features can they do?

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
I think iOS 7 will be fresh departure from iOS 6.

For one, Scott Forstall is no longer at Apple. His responsibilities are now handled by Eddy Cue, Jony Ives, and Craig Federighi - three very talented people.

That is what I'm hoping for and looking forward to. I'm just hoping that they concentrate more on fixing long time occurring issues, before trying to make the iOS look funky. Glitz and glam are nice and all, but not at the sacrifice of usability and functionality. What I really would like, is for Apple to look at the Fleksy keyboard technology. They could learn a thing or two from Syntellia. I'm a texter, and tweet and blog enough through my iPhone to be frustrated with Apple's keyboard. If Apple can incorporate Fleksy technology in their iOS, it would definitely set them apart from the competition.

I play around with the free version of Fleksy, and I'm always blown away on how accurate it is. Even if your not looking at the keyboard. There is a paid version, but because it's not incorporated into the iOS, you have to do a lot copy and pasting, or extra steps to get your message out. Check it out here
Code:
http://fleksy.com/

----------

OP download a few new apps and get yourself a new case and you will feel better.

Maybe even change his wallpaper. Add some color and dynamics. Or like most, jailbreak.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
Will never leave unless the device that Apple makes doesn't work well. Right now, I am happy. Don't understand why people want the design to change when it's great right now. Want a bigger screen, go get an android. Want a widget, go get an android. Want customization, get an android or jailbreak. For me, iOS is fine as it is.

People complain about apple not innovating but I don't consider what Android has been doing as innovating as well. NFC is not innovation. Packing in bigger battery to last all day isn't innovation. Innovation is starting something new and creating a whole new category. NFC wasn't what an iPod was for the music industry. Until NFC is accepted all over the world, it isn't innovation.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Will never leave unless the device that Apple makes doesn't work well. Right now, I am happy. Don't understand why people want the design to change when it's great right now. Want a bigger screen, go get an android. Want a widget, go get an android. Want customization, get an android or jailbreak. For me, iOS is fine as it is.

People complain about apple not innovating but I don't consider what Android has been doing as innovating as well. NFC is not innovation. Packing in bigger battery to last all day isn't innovation. Innovation is starting something new and creating a whole new category. NFC wasn't what an iPod was for the music industry. Until NFC is accepted all over the world, it isn't innovation.

I agree. We will see if there is a killer new feature on the S4.

I really like Apple products but ultimately I will go to who the best device is. I notice the Android OS has a much slower OS than iOS (frame rate is much more choppy navigating the interface). I will have to see if this has changed on the S4 before even considering.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Not me. I'm quite ingrained in the Apple ecosystem as it is. Plus, I'm extremely happy with my iPhone anyway. Although BB10 makes me curious to want to try it out. Not enough to leave my iPhone though.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
When I had ICS for a few days, I first felt liberated by its easy to change interface. Then I realized all I actually wanted was icons on the front screen (btw, the worst part about touchwiz is it is one row short on the SGSIII). Then I realized I was never using the widgets and none of them were remotely useful. Then I realized I hated touchwiz and switched to Novalauncher. Then I realized that the best widget (touchwiz weather widget) was not available in Novalauncher. Soon there were icons on my screen I didn't put there through the free version of Novalauncher so I switched back to touchwiz.

In the end, I couldn't get used to the SGSIII and I felt that I missed the iPhone interface. As a result I went back to the iPhone 5. I don't care what new things it does, I like iOS for what it is even if it isn't the next big thing. After all, OS X hasn't really been the "next big thing" ever while windows has released three iterations since OS X's official launch.

Why not just put a row of icons on your Android device?

No widget was remotely useful but novalauncher didn't support your favorite? :confused:

----------

I like iOS as it is versus Android. There are a lot of restrictions I don't particularly care for but the over all simplicity is my attraction too it. Until I need to be able to do more then I can do now I'll be content.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Listen here Apple... if you don't change your phone to my liking I'm gonna leave! Don't try me! I swear I'll go!

*Crickets*

Oh yeah?! Well what if I tell all my friends on the internet how mad I am?

*Crickets*

So you're saying you don't care what one small segment of people think is "innovative" or "cool" so long as you sell millions of phones to everyone ELSE?

What are you Apple, some kind of business or something???

*Crickets*

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
OP, if you're hoping to rally the troops, there have already been infinitely more Apple defectors than will ever read your little post. Apple has had more people leave the iPhone because of "boredom" than most companies have total customers. So, don't bother. If you want to leave, leave. No one cares, the least of which, Apple.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I believe that is just because you have used it for a long time, if you used android I bet it would be the same thing after a while, Android is unstable, boring, stale and cheap looking. If you get a new phone I would get a Blackberry Z10. It's strong, stable, nice looking and it's high quality. Windows phone is not that bad, but it doesn't have enough apps, plus I don't buy anything microsoft.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Apple is impressive as long as they provide timely security updates (and feature) to their customers. Giving the finger to the old consortium of carrier sand manufacturers who say 'screw you no updates'.

Moto, LG, HTC, Sammy, etc aren't even an option until then.

I realize that's a really, really low bar for expectation. But oddly many are struggling with it.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Why not just put a row of icons on your Android device?

No widget was remotely useful but novalauncher didn't support your favorite? :confused:

The iPhone just seems to set up the homescreen better. In touchwiz the screen, despite being so large, isn't well divided out. Each screen by default can only hold 16 non-dock icons. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's actually a huge waste of real estate when you consider the iPhone 5 has a significantly smaller screen which holds 25% more icons.

The only widget I enjoyed was the Samsung default "Super clock" which was only available on touchwiz. That was the ONLY ONE. If I had to go to another screen to use a widget it would be almost faster just to launch the application directly. To each his own, but the iPhone 5 was the right choice for me.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yeah, Blackberry is a great phone, I use all Apple and I want a Z10 :)

I'm definitely intrigued like I was with Android. I just have a really hard time justifying breaking the Apple ecosystem after my android experience.

----------

Dumping an entire "ecosystem" (to reuse a tired word)?
It would take a LOT to make me start over.

"Ecosystem" isn't a tired word. To use it in your context is to use it well.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Apple is impressive as long as they provide timely security updates (and feature) to their customers. Giving the finger to the old consortium of carrier sand manufacturers who say 'screw you no updates'.

Moto, LG, HTC, Sammy, etc aren't even an option until then.

I realize that's a really, really low bar for expectation. But oddly many are struggling with it.

Curious how stable iOS is too android.

Take a screen shot of your diag like this.

dy9amazu.jpg

And your latest crash screen like this

6e2a6uze.jpg

Then compare to the uptime of your Android device

uga7e8ag.jpg

iPhone has been up 7-8 days without a required reboot. Android 108 days with reboot....maybe you have different results?

I'd like to tell you the last time springboard crashed (the phone) but its to unreliable to provide that data.

maby2e8a.jpg

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
The only reason I stayed with the iPhone 5 was because the screen on the S3 was too dark and I didn't care for the oversaturation. I still think the iPad is ahead of other tablets but I can't say that about the iPhone. If the iPhone 5S comes out with the same screen I will give the S4 a shot and see if I can get used to android. I already tried with the HTC One X but I had some issues with the it like 16gb not being enough storage and no SD card slot. I do love the syncing of my iPhone and iPad but I think the S4 should be good enough to at least give it a shot. Worst case scenario I return it and stay with Apple.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Take a screen shot of your diag like this.

And your latest crash screen like this

Then compare to the uptime of your Android device

iPhone has been up 7-8 days without a required reboot. Android 108 days with reboot....maybe you have different results?

Actually, you're comparing Apples to Oranges (pardon the pun). The iOS diagnostic logs you're screen-capping capture all kinds of information, from low memory to app crashes. Not just critical, whole-phone-crashing OS level events.

And you're comparing that to the uptime on your Android phone, which does not account for any individual app crashes or non-OS-critical system events. It just counts how many days since you've rebooted the whole phone.

That said, I regularly go without ever having to reset my iPhone or iPad unless I do an update. My current uptime on my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 is 10 days, but only because 10 days ago, iOS 6.1 came out.

If crash logs are what you want to compare, then you should run an app like aLogcat on your Android device and compare its output to the iOS diagnostic data. I think you'll be surprised at what you find.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada

I had to reboot my Mom's android phone twice a day. I have never had to restart my iPod touch 5, so I compare actual performance, not logs, plus those logs show everything such as battery low, memory low, or even a simple App crash. BTW the reason it shows no recent springboard crashes is because the springboard hasn't crashed yet.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Actually, you're comparing Apples to Oranges (pardon the pun). The iOS diagnostic logs you're screen-capping capture all kinds of information, from low memory to app crashes. Not just critical, whole-phone-crashing OS level events.

And you're comparing that to the uptime on your Android phone, which does not account for any individual app crashes or non-OS-critical system events. It just counts how many days since you've rebooted the whole phone.

That said, I regularly go without ever having to reset my iPhone or iPad unless I do an update. My current uptime on my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 is 10 days, but only because 10 days ago, iOS 6.1 came out.

If crash logs are what you want to compare, then you should run an app like aLogcat and compare its output to the iOS diagnostic data. I think you'll be surprised at what you find.

No, springboard crash = reset counter. PLUS reset counter = manual reboot. If I manually reboot my android then uptime starts over. Thus I haven't manually rebooted my android device in 100+ days whereas I reboot my iOS device quite often....

----------

I had to reboot my Mom's android phone twice a day. I have never had to restart my iPod touch 5, so I compare actual performance, not logs, plus those logs show everything such as battery low, memory low, or even a simple App crash. BTW the reason it shows no recent springboard crashes is because the springboard hasn't crashed yet.

You'll need to post screenshots. I could say that about my iPhone too, doesn't make it true. No offense intended but this is the Internet....

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Btw I'm not hating on iOS devices! I actually prefer them but I don't find them particularly problem free especially compared to android now a days.

This is a problem I'm currently dealing with. If I add up my apps using the space on my iPhone its half of what it's using, less then half. The file system is junk is my only conclusion,,,

neqajy4u.jpg

I'm currently running a program (as I speak) on my computer called phoneclean to try to get that space back. I've had to pay apple storage space for more room because it can't clean itself properly.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I love my iPhone as I do the rest of my apple products. And I'm not jacking for some "cool new feature " or anything like that. All I want them to do is to make me feel like I'm hurting a new device when I buy a new device. The OS is just boring to me. I love the way everything works, but the tiled layout is starting to make me feel like I'm using an "easy to use" phone. If they don't freshens hinges up a bit I'll have to switch phones. I love my apple ecosystem and iCloud and how everything about iOS is so well laid out... But it's just getting so boring. I'd never thought I'd be saying any of this, especially this soon. Thank you for bumping up the specs, speed, camera,screen size, but just freshen the iOS up.
If you're not impressed by most modern day smart phones u just have a lack of respect for technology and the people create these devices. At the end of the day it's a phone. Boring! you might be spending too much time with your electronics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.