Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
In the end it is after all , a Phone, just how much innovation besides larger screen and features can they do?

I think we are past the "its just a phone" argument. This is like saying the computer your on is just word processor.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
No, springboard crash = reset counter. PLUS reset counter = manual reboot. If I manually reboot my android then uptime starts over. Thus I haven't manually rebooted my android device in 100+ days whereas I reboot my iOS device quite often....

Funny, I've never had that, and I don't see it in my logs.

You'll need to post screenshots. I could say that about my iPhone too, doesn't make it true. No offense intended but this is the Internet....

Post your actual crash logs on your Android phone, and then we'll talk about what's true and what isn't.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Isn't that a little obtuse? Apple's obviously the one who demanded it from the manufacturers, otherwise we would have seen it before Apple on other devices/manufacturers. Just because Apple isn't the company who made it doesn't mean that they're not the ones who came up with the idea.

I do think that iOS needs a bit of a refresh, hopefully they'll look to that with the next release. It's something they have to be careful with, though, because the 'easy to use' component is why so many people have flocked to the iPhone over the years. It's why it even became so popular in the first place. If they change things up too much then they risk alienating parts of their userbase.

Right. Because those who manufacture screens/displays aren't pushing themselves to make a better product, they wait for some request from some other company. If it worked like that, they'd be behind the game already.

Does Apple go to them and maybe say, 'hey, we're looking for a screen to meet X Y and Z specifications, what can you do?'? Yeah, most likely. But they're not sitting around waiting for Apple to demand something.

If anything is "obtuse", it's crediting Apple for "innovating" a high resolution screen.

*Full disclosure and on topic: iPhone 5 user and the screen is fantastic, though I'd prefer it to be a bit larger and I agree the OS is 'stale'...but very stable and (mostly) easy to use. The voice dictation is pretty dang good and Siri is useful for making reminders, setting alarms and handy for opening apps when I'm too lazy scroll around.

What I'd be very happy with is the ability to leave "blank" spots on the home screens, allowing users to actually arrange icons how they want. I'd really like to be able to "hide" my apps that are used sparsely, a la Android--where you have whatever on your HS and hit the 'app drawer' icon to bring up the rest. Widgets/quick toggles would be very welcomed too.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
If iOS7 doesn't have anything impressive then I'm getting the S4 this summer.

good luck
wave.gif

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
If iOS7 doesn't have anything impressive then I'm getting the S4 this summer.

Yeah see you later. I don't get it. Am I the only one who actually likes the current iOS I mean it works great and it's simple but if you want widgets and all that malware yeah go on and get a droid and have a fisher price style plastic phone.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Yeah see you later. I don't get it. Am I the only one who actually likes the current iOS I mean it works great and it's simple but if you want widgets and all that malware yeah go on and get a droid and have a fisher price style plastic phone.

Some Android phones are actually quite nice. And the malware issue has been overblown. But I agree with you on the current state of iOS- I don't see why it needs to change. If Apple comes up with new UI paradigms that work better, then by all means, I want them to implement them in iOS. But until then, iOS does everything I need it to do.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
If it happens that I buy a phone from another maker, I don't think about it as leaving Apple. Rather it's choosing a phone that's make by another company. I can't leave Apple because am not in a relationship with it.

It's like buying a car or a pack of gum. I don't leave a car company, nor do I leave a gum company.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I'm not looking for iOS to impress. I don't expect it to. It's just an operating system. It's nice when it gets some cool new features, but that's not what I'm necessarily looking for.

As long as I can run my software, I really don't care what's running underneath. Same with my desktop. I don't care if it's Apple or Microsoft or Linux. As long as I can run the software I want, to accomplish the tasks I want, it really doesn't matter to me what's under the hood. And that's coming from a computer programmer, not an "as long as I get email and Facebook I'm good" type of user.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I love my iPhone as I do the rest of my apple products. And I'm not jacking for some "cool new feature " or anything like that. All I want them to do is to make me feel like I'm hurting a new device when I buy a new device. The OS is just boring to me. I love the way everything works, but the tiled layout is starting to make me feel like I'm using an "easy to use" phone. If they don't freshens hinges up a bit I'll have to switch phones. I love my apple ecosystem and iCloud and how everything about iOS is so well laid out... But it's just getting so boring. I'd never thought I'd be saying any of this, especially this soon. Thank you for bumping up the specs, speed, camera,screen size, but just freshen the iOS up.

How?

The problem with bored people is they often lack creativity themselves so impressing them is all but hopeless.

People that get things done understand their pain points and what obstacles remain in their way from productivity bliss. This makes it easier for them to articulate their wants and needs.

My advice, which is worth what you paid for it, is that if you're bored try a new phone. Sometimes you just have to experience a new way of doing things.

If people ware waiting for iOS 7 to some how sprinkle pixie dust on them, enabling them to fly they may as well wake up. Nothing magical is coming.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Curious how stable iOS is too android.

Take a screen shot of your diag like this.

And your latest crash screen like this

Then compare to the uptime of your Android device

iPhone has been up 7-8 days without a required reboot. Android 108 days with reboot....maybe you have different results?

I'd like to tell you the last time springboard crashed (the phone) but its to unreliable to provide that data.

I dunno why you quoted me. It seems like you don't understand that security vs stability aren't the same thing. Let me refer you to dictionary.com.

There is also all kinds of fallacy comparing uptime to logs that detail such mundane things as garbage collection.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A

No, I don't want widgets and malware - I want something new and ease of use. I've been staring at the same icon squares on the tiny screen for years now. I'm not saying iOS isn't effective, but I'm just getting bored of it. And it's ridiculous that I need to jailbreak just to have quick access to Wifi, 3G and location toggles (sbsettings) or to have convenient gestures.

I was a fanboy once too but I can take a non-biased approach and realize that things have been looking stale.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
No, I don't want widgets and malware - I want something new and ease of use. I've been staring at the same icon squares on the tiny screen for years now. I'm not saying iOS isn't effective, but I'm just getting bored of it. And it's ridiculous that I need to jailbreak just to have quick access to Wifi, 3G and location toggles (sbsettings) or to have convenient gestures.

I was a fanboy once too but I can take a non-biased approach and realize that things have been looking stale.

I think apple just likes to implement new technology when it is fully usable and has a practical application.

They don't want their customers doing the beta testing like when LTE was having battery issues.

And they don't want to include technology that is just a gimmick and not many people will be using.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Now that Johnny is in charge of IOS perhaps we will see an evolutionary change in what it looks like. I can't see them revamping the whole IOS7 in time but they can implement some good UI changes and enhancements. Perhaps they can steal some more ideas from Android while they are at it.

Still I do hope for a fresher look something to draw me back to the next phone. 128GB of storage which would be great for me. Why should I have to rely on the cloud and crappy data plans. Make the phone a bit wider and allow for another icon to fit across the screen.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Common guys. Really? I've been using iOS primarily for 4 years and some of the stuff I'm reading is just pathetic. And I'm noticing a trend here where any feature apple doesn't have is a gimmick. A word tossed around way too much here. This denial isn't doing apple any good. Critisism is a good thing. iOS is entering its 6th year and I still can't change default apps? It's stuff like this that apple IS behind in. There's a reason 7 million devices have been jailbroken in the first 4 days. The biggest number ever.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Like many others in threads just like this one, I'm not leaving Apple. The iPhone does everything I need in a phone. I don't need a million bells and whistles to impress me. All I need is a phone that makes calls, sends texts and keeps my music synced when I but it on my computer or phone. There isn't another phone that can do what the iPhone does for me.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Done. I like the overall shape of the iphone and quality, but Ill come back when the iPhone is WIDER and the milking of the fanboys is over. (which I used to be)

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Like many others in threads just like this one, I'm not leaving Apple. The iPhone does everything I need in a phone. I don't need a million bells and whistles to impress me. All I need is a phone that makes calls, sends texts and keeps my music synced when I but it on my computer or phone. There isn't another phone that can do what the iPhone does for me.
So when I download a song in iTunes and it shows up instantly on my nexus 4, is that just pretend?

Itxdjx

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
R.I.
I have been bored..yes people do need to stop making excuses for apple guess what android CAlLS TEXT EMAIL AND SYNC just as we'll if not better. Apple def needs to step up the wow factor! If they put as much thought into the design as they did the os (form of function) they would be killing it I love the designs hands down the best LOOKING PHONE. And that's where it stops.

I use an iPhone 5 and Note 2 as my daily drivers. And my iPhone 5 battery last 3 days lets just put it that way...

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Started to read this thread then realized the summary of it all was:

If I don't get my way, I'm taking my ball and going home.

Itxdjx

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
R.I.

Lol is the the only thing people can say about android. There where more android phones with great build quality before the 4. Mind you the 3G and 3GS where plastic.....did you use one? If so you should retract your statement. And malware? Seriously!?

Do you like how easily the five chips and scuffs. I'll take plastic if it last longer!

----------

Oh there is!

Lightey

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
iOS is highly functional tool in which I heavily rely on. I'm in favor of incremental improvements over time rather than the next iteration being a dazzling display of fireworks.

Sounds like you just need new apps.

Sounds like you want to be controlled by the dictator known as Apple.

OP, yes. If iOS 7 is not up to my standards, I will go to Android. I'm sick of this ****.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.