Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I find all the "give to the loyal customers" or "give raises to staff and retail" very funny.

They are hoarding Shareholders money not anyone else's. All they are really doing is giving the money back to the rightful owners.

actionjunky

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
No Dividend for Me, Please

Keep the 2.7% dividend. You are going to need the cash for future technology and legal battles ahead. Just grow the stock value by delivering products we don't know we want yet. If you do, and the stock price growth reflects it, I doubt anyone is going to miss the dividend.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Steve would never allow this. This is the difference between an owner and an employee who must show something in a short period of time. Apple doomed.

BZIG

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
Billions of dollars in cash and no SatIphone in sight.

I want my SATELLITE iPHONE NOW :D

Thanks AAPL

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Keep the 2.7% dividend. You are going to need the cash for future technology and legal battles ahead. Just grow the stock value by delivering products we don't know we want yet. If you do, and the stock price growth reflects it, I doubt anyone is going to miss the dividend.

I'm european so the dividend is taxed twice, i lose a total of 35% on tax. I hate that, a stock buyback would be better or just invest in a new daughter company to build a self sustained tech-city or something, its a crime not to do something bold with that kind of cash.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Doesn't anyone have issues with the way Wall Street can blackmail companies like this? Personally I think Apple should have used some of that cash to sue/harass Einhorn into the Stone Age.

SoApple

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Steve would never allow this. This is the difference between an owner and an employee who must show something in a short period of time. Apple doomed.

Really?

How do people come up with these comments?

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I have stopped paying attention to the stock because it seems like any good news about Apple makes the stock go down, but can someone explain to me why this statement made it shoot up 10 points? It's not like people didn't already know about this.

So all the hedge funds including Einhorn can minimize their losses

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
How does this impact existing Apple stock holders who can't afford to buy more stock?

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Doesn't anyone have issues with the way Wall Street can blackmail companies like this? Personally I think Apple should have used some of that cash to sue/harass Einhorn into the Stone Age.

It's not blackmail.

They are saying "give us our money (and it IS their money) or else do something better with it that will build value."

This is essentially Apple saying "we can't figure out anything better to do with it so here you go"

not rocket surgery here, brother

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
I have stopped paying attention to the stock because it seems like any good news about Apple makes the stock go down, but can someone explain to me why this statement made it shoot up 10 points? It's not like people didn't already know about this.

Wall St. is always the last to realize what's going on in technology, and that's combined with a huge blind spot regarding aapl. Next time you're watching some analyst talk about technology, ask yourself if you'd trust this person to install software for you. If the answer is 'no', you're probably more qualified to be a technology stock pundit. Apple is mopping the floor with the competition: they win almost all of the profit in this sector and their every move, since the introduction of the iPhone, has been blatantly copied by the typical selection of commodity junk tech companies who fight over scraps in the low end of the market.

Samsung is going blue in the face trying to convince the less endowed to make up for it with laughably huge screen sizes... Wow, it only fits in fat boy pants, it looks significantly cheaper and cluttered, it's fans are overly hung up on the needlessly stupid screen size, and it's running an OS that's always named according to various sugary junk foods. Oh wait... the other message is that it's cheaper, but just as 'cool' as those iPhones! It's really easy to see the demographic target... nothing quite says cheap, overweight, 1-inch wonder faster than Samsung!

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
It's not blackmail.

They are saying "give us our money (and it IS their money) or else do something better with it that will build value."

This is essentially Apple saying "we can't figure out anything better to do with it so here you go"

Actually it is blackmail. Look at how the stock price has been going down. It is just a part of the blackmail.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It's not blackmail.

Their initial investment is their money. Along with any profit or loss from their investment.

If they want "their money" back sell the stock.

Their money is only a portion of the money Apple has.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
Personally I don't see this as such a good thing. I know Wall Street generally likes it, but this is basically Apple admitting that they cannot get a better return investing that money in the business so they are giving it to the shareholders instead. My concern is they have either run out of ideas to use the money, the future tech is far too expensive to invest in, or some other unflattering reason that is masked by the news of a large dividend.

I wonder what their hurdle rate is. Didn't Microsoft do a one time dividend to give back some of their cash hoard at some point? I don't think it generally helps a stock long term but I could be wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.