Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I've had the Wii U since US launch but haven't really played it too much. The first time booting up mario bros U was a blast with friends though. I'm also really liking with what they did in ninja gaiden 3 razor's edge (seems like a sigma). I forgot my wii id since I left my wii u at my friends house but I'll try to post it later. I haven't touched nintendoland at all and currently trying to collect everything in ninja gaiden and mario bros. I'm just excited for all the games coming out later hehe

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Picked up Batman and it's err.. The same game I've played on PS3 and PC, but it's still undoubtably one of the best games out there.

Also picked up Rise of the Guardians... DO NOT BUY THIS!! It's TRIPE!! This will be traded in very shortly as it's just balls.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Batman

Batman is very good on the Wii U, (just as good as other versions) and I like the motion controls and Wii Gamepad integration. Also off-screen gameplay on just the Wii U gamepad, the game looks lovely on the screen.

I had read about frame-rate issues and texture load in problems in the reviews of the game and having played the game now for bout 4 hours I can safely say complaints were greatly exaggerated. Haven't had any frame-rate choppiness or judder at all (it actually seems smoother than PS3 version was for me).

If you were tempted to get the game and put off with the idea of it being a bad port, rest assured it is not.

My only gripe is that you can't wear any of the batman costumes in the main campaign (only in challenge mode).

Rise of the Guardians

Rarely does a game truly make me want to set the disc on fire, but this is one. An atrocious game with ZERO merit, horribly pixelated FMV leads to bland and drab level design and endless waves of crappy looking enemies wherein you simply press B, press B, press B, press B over and over and over with the occasional tap of X when living dangerously. It's just horrendous.

Also just finished COD : Black Ops 2 on Wii U. Whilst I wasn't wowed at any stage, the fact I was compelled to finish the single player campaign, a first of any of the COD games for me must have meant I got some enjoyment out of it. It was also anther game that actually looked better played on the Wii U gamepad screen than the TV.

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Finally got one...

Of course - got the Black unit (matches my TRON Legacy Console Stand).

It is a great system - looking forward to Aliens Colonial Marines as the touchscreen is used as the Alien Scanner/PDA... :)

Playing Nintendoland - is there a QUICK way of turning off WiFi? Internet players wandering into my Theme Park is kinda freaking me out... :eek:

This is system is gonna start selling well when Nintendo lowers the price of the basic unit to $249 (probably as the next systems from Sony and MS are announced).

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not sure if theres a quick way of turning of wifi Gkarris....

I picked up Darksiders II. (making it my 14th retail wii u purchase.. I know, i'm insane!)

Strangely the game has some screen tearing when played on the gamepad, but has NO screen tearing when played on TV with gamepad as map/inventory.

The PC version also suffered from hideous screen tearing until they patched the V-Sync in a later update.

Now I've actually finished this on PC and previously had it on PS3 too so I have spent a lot of time with it already and hence I like the game quite a lot, the Wii U is pretty much identical to PS3 and PC version and the frame-rate which I had read in reviews had issues, is actually no problem at all. (I seem to get lucky, epic Mickey 2 and Batman had no issues with framerate despite reviews and youtube videos seeminly indicating they did) but here the framerate seems locked at 30 here and after 5 hours I haven't experienced a dramatic dip at any stage. THe PS3 version had more erratic frame-rate.

Other than the few missing trees in initial open wasteland there is nothing missing, strangely the comparison sites all tried to make out this was because the wii U cant handle big open spaces, but since this game has plenty other big spaces with just as much detail as PC I fail to believe that is actually the case. The first area adjoining the wasteland area for example has a forrest and is just as big as the wasteland area, but full of trees and the Wii U version has slightly higher texture clarity in this area than the PS3 and 360 versions so it's cant be for that reason the few sparse trees from the open area were removed.

The game is great, probably one of the best action adventure RPG games in the last 12 months.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
LOVED both Darksiders games, really wish #3 was in the works, but with THQ announcing bankruptcy, I don't think so. :(

Hopefully someone picks up the licence. With two more horsemen to go, and then the obligatory quartet assembled there should be at least 3 more games there.

My biggest worry with THQ is that something might prevent South Park Stick of Truth being released....

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I got an Wii U for Christimas, and I was wondering if anyone else's gamepad has any light bleeding. I took a pic of the problem for those who don't know what I'm talking about. I heard that this is a common problem with LCD. It is easier to see it when the brightness is all the way up. I was wondering if anyone else notice this on their game pad. I was thinking about exchanging it, but first I wanted to see if anyone else was having this issue.

IMG_0466_zps961effa8.jpg

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I got an Wii U for Christimas, and I was wondering if anyone else's gamepad has any light bleeding. I took a pic of the problem for those who don't know what I'm talking about. I heard that this is a common problem with LCD. It is easier to see it when the brightness is all the way up. I was wondering if anyone else notice this on their game pad. I was thinking about exchanging it, but first I wanted to see if anyone else was having this issue.

IMG_0466_zps961effa8.jpg

I have not seen that at all on mine, and I do *not* think that is normal.

How much use as it seen (i.e., how many hours have you played total, or how many hours per week have you played on it?). Has it been dropped at all?

I'm thinking you will have to go for a warranty replacement of some sort...

Anybody else have any thoughts/ideas?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My biggest worry with THQ is that something might prevent South Park Stick of Truth being released....

All (experienced) publishing contracts include clauses for stuff like one of the involved companies closing down, or if the publisher runs out of money, or if they decide they don't want to publish. It's also very close to release.

Obsidian is an experienced studio. I wouldn't worry about it!

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I have not seen that at all on mine, and I do *not* think that is normal.

How much use as it seen (i.e., how many hours have you played total, or how many hours per week have you played on it?). Has it been dropped at all?

I'm thinking you will have to go for a warranty replacement of some sort...

Anybody else have any thoughts/ideas?

I looked at my Gamepad this morning and didn't see anything, just call Nintendo and get a replacement under warranty. If anything Nintendo has decent customer service.

Oh and there's really no need to post in this thread and make another thread for the same damn thing. :rolleyes:

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
My USB->ethernet adapter that i was using for my Wii U stopped working. It had worked fine for the last few weeks but suddenly stopped. It seems to be software related since the adapter still works when plugged into a computer. Was there any background software upgrade to the Wii U in the last week?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My USB->ethernet adapter that i was using for my Wii U stopped working. It had worked fine for the last few weeks but suddenly stopped. It seems to be software related since the adapter still works when plugged into a computer. Was there any background software upgrade to the Wii U in the last week?

Mine hasn't recieved one anyway.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Do you get paid to play and review games? If not, with the amount of games that you already play (and sometimes the same game on multiple systems), you really should... :confused:

I should start, it is ridiculous the amount of games I play.... :)

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I'm really quite disappointed by this decision. I'm not bothered if the game goes multi-platform, doesn't irk me in the slightest, but please don't delay the WiiU version because of this. As far as I was concerned a couple of hours ago, the March 1st date was set in stone.... leading me to believe the U version is complete and ready to ship.

The only things I've got to look forward to in the foreseeable future now are Aliens, only if it's really good though, and Lego City: Undercover which is supposed to be a kids' game!

Looks like the WiiU is destined to be the dedicated Skylanders and Disney Infinity box.....

:apple:

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
That's the thing - it could have remained as a timed exclusive, with the six months between March and September acting as a boost to WiiU sales...but no. Really shows Ubisoft don't have much confidence in the system, and would rather push out to the established user bases en-masse.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I am so so so so so pissed off with Rayman's delay. As you guys say don't care a hoot it's going multi platform, but to push back it's release by a further 6 months...

So I've lost Scribblenauts and Rayman in less than a week :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really it's exasperating and it makes you think that Nintendo arent bothering their arses trying to encourage the likes of Ubisoft to at least make the game a timed exclusive.

Oh and we lost Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3 and the 360 / PS3 versions will have more content than the wii U ???

I swear to god if Nintendo's Wii U is a failure its because of Nintendo's lack of ability to sure up confifdence in 3rd party developers.

It's beginning to feel like the Wii and it's only been a few months :(:(:(:(

----------

Looks like the WiiU is destined to be the dedicated Skylanders and Disney Infinity box.....

:apple:

Yep... Lets just pray E3 brings some relief :eek:

Last edited:

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
I just got my wii u a month ago now. I think its amazing. the game pad is just perfect pairing to the tv. great way to play games.

Mario is a blast. Looks great, plays like you would think. lots of content and getting all the star coins is crazy fun...and frustrating.

Zombie U is amazing. I don't see why critics bashed it. I think they missed the point of the game. It really is survival horror.

Nintendoland is pretty lame after a hour. just bla

Cant wait to see what comes next. I'm really afraid wii u will get no third party support once the next gen consoles come out since those consoles are going to be so much more powerful.

The delay of rayman and knowing its going multiplatform really isnt a great sign. Hopefully Alien and walking dead will be great!

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Being a VERY long-time Nintendo fan (NES, Game Boy, SNES, Game Boy Color, Gamecube, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Micro, Wii, and DS), I avoided the Wii U for my suspicions about the system, that seem to be increasingly voiced in forums like this one. Primarily, it was the bizzarely weak launch lineup. No Zelda? No Smash Brothers? No Metroid? No sale.

Last edited:

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I am so so so so so pissed off with Rayman's delay. As you guys say don't care a hoot it's going multi platform, but to push back it's release by a further 6 months...

So I've lost Scribblenauts and Rayman in less than a week :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really it's exasperating and it makes you think that Nintendo arent bothering their arses trying to encourage the likes of Ubisoft to at least make the game a timed exclusive.

Oh and we lost Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3 and the 360 / PS3 versions will have more content than the wii U ???

I swear to god if Nintendo's Wii U is a failure its because of Nintendo's lack of ability to sure up confifdence in 3rd party developers.

It's beginning to feel like the Wii and it's only been a few months :(:(:(:

That's exactly it. I feel Nintendo are selling the WiiU on first party titles alone - both released and promised. They seem to think that if they trickle-feed some Zelda and Mario everybody will jump on board and buy.

Sorry, but you need the third party developers to make a console fly. Nintendo have clearly alienated two of the biggest players, EA and Ubisoft, and that's just a bad move to pull.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Being a VERY long-time Nintendo fan (NES, Game Boy, SNES, Game Boy Color, Gamecube, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Micro, Wii, and DS), I avoided the Wii U for my suspicions about the system, that seem to be increasingly voiced in forums like this one. Primarily, it was the bizzarely weak launch lineup. No Zelda? No Smash Brothers? No Metroid? No sale.

I'd rather wait for a great game, than get a garbage one right away.

AFA Rayman, seems like 3rd parties are looking for DRM enabled games, which is rumored for the next gen of Sony and MS.

I think the Wii U will win out if the others come in at around $400 launch and be download or DRM only...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.