Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chezdor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
A few months ago I bought a fake second iPhone 5 charging cable from a market stall (since due to short battery life, the one I bought originally wasn't enough to last me all day at work, I needed to purchase an extra for the office). This all worked absolutely fine until I recently upgraded the phone's iOS to 6.1.

Now the phone won't recognise it unless I wiggle it about and end up contorting myself to hold it at a certain angle. I know for certain this is due to the iOS upgrade rather than a hardware issue, water damage etc. I have read up online but can't seem to find a workable solution. Even when the phone does recognise it, it seems to take forever to charge or sometimes actively drains the battery? All of this contortion has eventually taken its toll and the charging cable socket has now broken off inside the iPhone socket and seems to be stuck.

I totally get that I should only use genuine Apple accessories etc and I should probably just cut my losses and go buy another one, but it really bugs me that the charger is (or was until I just broke it) physically capable of charging my phone but the new iOS clearly has some software code built in causing it to be rejected.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
It was a defective off market cable you bought that doesn't conform to apple standards. Wiggling wouldn't solve a software issue.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
A few months ago I bought a fake second iPhone 5 charging cable from a market stall (since due to short battery life, the one I bought originally wasn't enough to last me all day at work, I needed to purchase an extra for the office). This all worked absolutely fine until I recently upgraded the phone's iOS to 6.1.

Now the phone won't recognise it unless I wiggle it about and end up contorting myself to hold it at a certain angle. I know for certain this is due to the iOS upgrade rather than a hardware issue, water damage etc. I have read up online but can't seem to find a workable solution. Even when the phone does recognise it, it seems to take forever to charge or sometimes actively drains the battery? All of this contortion has eventually taken its toll and the charging cable socket has now broken off inside the iPhone socket and seems to be stuck.

I totally get that I should only use genuine Apple accessories etc and I should probably just cut my losses and go buy another one, but it really bugs me that the charger is (or was until I just broke it) physically capable of charging my phone but the new iOS clearly has some software code built in causing it to be rejected.

This is crystal clear evidence of a hardware failure, cable fatigue.

Buy another crap knock off fake cable, and go for another few months with it, until it breaks off and ruins your phone as well. Yay for saving $10 only to ruin a $700 handset.

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
i've got fakes in my car, sometimes with my ip4 it moans its not supported, it gets worse and worse then doesn't work at all, i replace it and all is good, cheap cables wear out....

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA

So you have a broken piece of the phony cable stuck inside of the iPhone? :eek: I hope that I've misunderstood this one.

jackwills

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
I bought one fake lightening cable too from eBay for 5 bucks, didnt last long too, lasted like a month it just broke recently but not because of the 6.1 though :eek: I think its cause of the cheap quality
Thinking wether buy one from apple store for $19 or not

watson10

macrumors member
May 7, 2010
What's a "market stall"? Is that like a fruit stand?

If this is a serious question, it's a temporary structure where vendors sell their products. Usually lesser quality goods than at brick and mortar shops. And they do sell fruit.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
If this is a serious question, it's a temporary structure where vendors sell their products. Usually lesser quality goods than at brick and mortar shops. And they do sell fruit.

I can't imagine why I wouldn't buy all my high tech devices from a fruit stand.

Currently I go to the dollar store for my low quality probably toxic crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.