Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
For a while now (few months), my Bluetooth Magic Mouse has been disconnecting and reconnecting from my Imac.

It is running on fresh batteries, so power is not the problem.

Any thoughts why this might be happening and how to fix it?

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
It is possible that there is something near your iMac that could be causing interference to the Bluetooth connection, perhaps another Bluetooth device. I also assume that the mouse is only paired with the iMac and no other machine.

However, the first thing you should try, if you haven't done so already, is remove the mouse from the list of Bluetooth devices on your iMac (you may need to rustle up a corded mouse temporarily after severing the connection if you don't have "Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if no mouse or trackpad is detected" under the Advanced menu). Then re-pair the mouse with the computer. You should also delete any other devices that your iMac doesn't use.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make, but under the settings menu, which is just to the right of the add/remove buttons on the Bluetooth menu, you can add the mouse to your favorites list, as well as update service. Doing so shouldn't hurt anything and can only help matters.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Excellent advice.

I will try all of it and report back.

It is possible that there is something near your iMac that could be causing interference to the Bluetooth connection, perhaps another Bluetooth device. I also assume that the mouse is only paired with the iMac and no other machine.

However, the first thing you should try, if you haven't done so already, is remove the mouse from the list of Bluetooth devices on your iMac (you may need to rustle up a corded mouse temporarily after severing the connection if you don't have "Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if no mouse or trackpad is detected" under the Advanced menu). Then re-pair the mouse with the computer. You should also delete any other devices that your iMac doesn't use.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make, but under the settings menu, which is just to the right of the add/remove buttons on the Bluetooth menu, you can add the mouse to your favorites list, as well as update service. Doing so shouldn't hurt anything and can only help matters.

Hungry&Foolish

Suspended
Mar 29, 2012
Sad to say that it did not work.
Removed and added fresh to my Bluetooth and the Magic Mouse is still disconnecting.

From the drop down menu, Add to favorites.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-07 at 4.46.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-07 at 4.46.02 PM.png
    526.7 KB · Views: 3,136

Hungry&Foolish

Suspended
Mar 29, 2012
It is in my Favorites already and still drops in and out
Trash the Bluetooth prefs and reset the PRAM.or have you tried the "piece of paper" solution? My Magic Mouse developed this problem about a year into its life and I tried the various suggestions, including cleaning the contacts. What solved the problem for me (said problem has never returned) was cutting one piece of note paper (3.5" x 1.75") and folding it to fit. After folding, I ended up with four thicknesses of paper between the two batteries and two thicknesses of paper between the batteries and the cover.

Reactions: anism

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I never heard of the Piece of Paper solution.

Are you suggesting that the batteries may be losing contact inside the Mouse?

Trash the Bluetooth prefs and reset the PRAM.or have you tried the "piece of paper" solution? My Magic Mouse developed this problem about a year into its life and I tried the various suggestions, including cleaning the contacts. What solved the problem for me (said problem has never returned) was cutting one piece of note paper (3.5" x 1.75") and folding it to fit. After folding, I ended up with four thicknesses of paper between the two batteries and two thicknesses of paper between the batteries and the cover.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City

Did that same fix myself. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why my MM kept disconnecting. Finally tried that trick and it worked.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
but it does not interference with the keyboard that i assume that wireless too?

kwnz

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
For a while now (few months), my Bluetooth Magic Mouse has been disconnecting and reconnecting from my Imac.

It is running on fresh batteries, so power is not the problem.

Any thoughts why this might be happening and how to fix it?

Possible solution.
I too struggled with this disconnecting problem for many weeks trying every solution I could find including upgrading to "El Capitan". I gave up in the end and reverted to using my "Targus Bluetooth Laser mouse" Then an idea came to me.

Previously when using the Targus mouse all other bluetooth mice (I also have a "Mighty Mouse") have been turned off. So I thought why not try the Targus and Magic mouse at the same time. Here is the sequence.

Turn OFF Magic Mouse

Turn on and connect Targus mouse

Turn ON Magic Mouse

Leave Targus on while testing the Magic for maybe a few hours (whatever you feel happy with)

When satisfied all is well turn the Targus OFF.

For me now all is perfect with the Magic so after a few more hours I decided to RESTART my Mac, (Leave Magic turned on and other mice off)

Magic started straight away on restart and has stayed working perfectly for 5 days now. I did intend to test this routine with the Mighty Mouse but as all is happy I did not want to push my luck but I feel that if you have or have access to any other bluetooth mouse then this should work.

I really hope this works for you...

Last edited:

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
My experience with a rMBP is this - assuming you try to use 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and the Bluetooth mouse at the same time - they will disturb each other. The only solution (provided you still need the BT mouse) - switch your network to cable (ie. Wireless off) or to a 5GHz wireless only and ditch the 2.4GHz band.

basher999

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2016
The same problem has been driving me nuts too and then, as if by magic, as soon as I switched off my bluetooth trackpad, I am miraculously cured (or rather my Mac is). So I guess it must be caused by bluetooth interference (maybe the problem will re-occur when I switch on my tablet.........)

JChrisSF

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2017
Bracing the batteries with a piece of folded paper WORKED!! Amazing - all these complicated technical instructions and the problem is hardware design. My Panasonic rechargeable batteries had just a little to much play. I have had not one disconnection since bracing the batteries. Blessings on those who figured this out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.