Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

airport_utility_icon-250x250.jpg
Apple has released an updated version of its AirPort Utility wireless network manager, bringing it to version 6.2.

The update contains the usual improvements and bug fixes, but Apple mentions three specific changes:
- The ability to extend the Guest Wi-Fi network on a network that is configured with multiple AirPort Base Stations

- The ability to add a WPS-capable Wi-Fi printer

- Improved international support
The update weighs in at 20.64MB and is available through Apple's software update website.

Update: Apple has also released AirPort Base Station and Time Capsule Firmware Update 7.6.3 for updating the units themselves.

Finally, the AirPort Utility app for iOS has also been updated to add the new functionality.

Article Link: Apple Releases Airport Utility 6.2 with Guest Wi-Fi and Printer Improvements

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I wonder if this update hints at impending AC routers soon...

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Already updated. Minor fixes that I do notice. Overall, nothing special. The extended Guest Wi-Fi is minimally impressive and should've been done since the first time Guest was included.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I wish they'd return some of the functionality that existed in Airport Utility 5. (It's still what they distribute to Windows). I run Airport Utility 5 alongside 6, but so far 5 does more than even 6.2!

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
After installing I now have updates showing up for my Airport's and Time Capsules.

Same here, TC firmware update to 7.6.3 I think. Don't know if this is because I've been negligent in updating my TC, or if this is a new firmware to coincide with the Airport Utility. Also not sure if the badge on the Airport Utility advising of available firmware update is new or not, but it helped.

squirrelist

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Same here, TC firmware update to 6.0.3 I think. Don't know if this is because I've been negligent in updating my TC, or if this is a new firmware to coincide with the Airport Utility. Also not sure if the badge on the Airport Utility advising of available firmware update is new or not, but it helped.

The firmware is new. And the badge has been a feature for a while. Apparently you're not as negligent as you thought :)

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
I wish they'd return some of the functionality that existed in Airport Utility 5. (It's still what they distribute to Windows). I run Airport Utility 5 alongside 6, but so far 5 does more than even 6.2!

I know. I keep a copy of 5.x because it gives more options.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has released an updated version of its AirPort Utility wireless network manager, bringing it to version 6.2.

The update contains the usual improvements and bug fixes, but Apple mentions three specific changes:
The update weighs in at 20.64MB and is available through Apple's software update website.

Article Link: Apple Releases Airport Utility 6.2 with Guest Wi-Fi and Printer Improvements

This article is slightly misleading. There's two different downloads... The specific firmware for the 802.11n compatible devices (v.7.6.3), AND the Airport Utility (v.6.2). The firmware download page for the base stations is here (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1617)

EDIT:
Looks like Icaras got it before me, by the way. :cool:

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

Absolutely agree. I do the same thing, because without it you can't see network logs, such as wifi clients and DHCP clients. Please Apple, at least make this version of AU as functional as it was before.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
No prob Icaras. This comes for me just in time because I got an Airport Express to extend my network last week.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Not seeing any update showing in Airport Utility on my older 802.11n Airport Extreme even though it claims this update is for all 802.11n routers. Currently it's running 7.6.1

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
As Apple does not mention it in its press release: I assume 6.2 has not reimplemented the 5.x feature that allows you to backup a Time Capsule to an external USB drive?

gusjc

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
This update broke my network.

I still have internet on my iMac (through Ethernet) but can't connect to my Wi-Fi network on my MacBook/iPad/iPhone, even though I can see it. Also, my Time Capsule and Airport Express appear as missing in the Airport Utility.
Tried resetting my Time Capsule but it does nothing (it's "stuck" with a green light). Tried unplugging and plugging back in, the Airport Utility recognizes it for a little while, and then it goes missing again.

Ideas?
Anyone else experiencing this?

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
This update broke my network.

I still have internet on my iMac (through Ethernet) but can't connect to my Wi-Fi network on my MacBook/iPad/iPhone, even though I can see it. Also, my Time Capsule and Airport Express appear as missing in the Airport Utility.
Tried resetting my Time Capsule but it does nothing (it's "stuck" with a green light). Tried unplugging and plugging back in, the Airport Utility recognizes it for a little while, and then it goes missing again.

Ideas?
Anyone else experiencing this?

Can you see the time capsule and airport express on the iMac?

Try unplugging the time capsule for 30-60 seconds and plug it back in. Give it time to boot up.

When the drive in my time capsule failed it did some wonky things before refusing to boot back up from power cycling it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.