Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusjc

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Can you see the time capsule and airport express on the iMac?

Try unplugging the time capsule for 30-60 seconds and plug it back in. Give it time to boot up.

When the drive in my time capsule failed it did some wonky things before refusing to boot back up from power cycling it.

I can't, they appear as missing (with the little yellow triangle next to them).
Tried power cycling but, as I said before, they appear for maybe 30 seconds and then disappear again.

Not sure what's going on, it worked perfectly right until I updated.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I can't, they appear as missing (with the little yellow triangle next to them).
Tried power cycling but, as I said before, they appear for maybe 30 seconds and then disappear again.

Not sure what's going on, it worked perfectly right until I updated.

It could be the other airport devices had a firmware update but you didn't update the firmware.

gusjc

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
It could be the other airport devices had a firmware update but you didn't update the firmware.

I updated the firmware in both the Airport Express and the Time Capsule and it all worked fine for maybe one or two minutes and then this happened.

Is there anything I could do?

bmoorhouse

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Houston
I have an earlier version of the 802.11n Extreme that does not have a guest network feature. Does this firmware add it?

gusjc

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Did you have your network extended with the other Airports ?

The Time Capsule was the Base Station and the Airport Express extended the network.
Thing is the Time Capsule appears missing even on a wired connection… :confused:

Macs In LA

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Automatic on/off for guest network

Does anyone know yet if there is a way to add a timer for the guest network ONLY?

The last update allows for the wireless to be turned on and off at certain times or certain days, but it was for ALL wireless access and not just a guest access.

I have a few cafes and it would be great to automatically cut off the guest network at certain times to prevent people camping out in the cafe all day or during busy hours.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I wish they'd return some of the functionality that existed in Airport Utility 5. (It's still what they distribute to Windows). I run Airport Utility 5 alongside 6, but so far 5 does more than even 6.2!

Agree. I'm really disappointed that functionality from the 5.6 version still hasn't been ported over to version 6.2.

zoswizard

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Lost my IPv4-->v6 Tunnel

Once I updated my Airport Extreme (4th Generation) to 7.6.3 my IPv6 tunnel failed.

Double checked everything and it's all correct, and it did work with 7.6.1.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
The iOS app update adds the ability to add/edit/delete Timed Access entries and the DHCP reserved IP list :)

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I love Airport Express/Extreme. Someone finally made a wireless router the right way. The update support is great.

RoarinRow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Once I updated my Airport Extreme (4th Generation) to 7.6.3 my IPv6 tunnel failed.

Double checked everything and it's all correct, and it did work with 7.6.1.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

I have the same exact problem. I double checked my settings over at tunnelbroker.net and entered all the info again. I keep getting a tunnel error message.

I tried various settings in Extreme and on my Macbook Pro. No go.

I tried configuring my Extreme using my iPad and same results.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I use the Extreme solely as a wireless access point - it's routing sucks IMO (its inability to passthrough PPTP is crazy!).

However, this update seems to have drastically increased wireless throughput. Sitting in this chair I used to get about 60Mbps (third gen AEBS). Now I'm getting 85.

Pleepleus

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Absolutely agree. I do the same thing, because without it you can't see network logs, such as wifi clients and DHCP clients. Please Apple, at least make this version of AU as functional as it was before.

You may want to check out the Wi-Fi diagnostics utility. Check the view menu after running it.

justinLONG

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I use the Extreme solely as a wireless access point - it's routing sucks IMO (its inability to passthrough PPTP is crazy!).

However, this update seems to have drastically increased wireless throughput. Sitting in this chair I used to get about 60Mbps (third gen AEBS). Now I'm getting 85.

i too was getting 60Mbps on my 4S. now it's down to 6 (5th gen extreme)

Robbie L

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Having similar issues

Have a APExpress that extends my network. As soon as I turn it on, the wireless network disappears. Working fine prior to the update. Hopefully we hear something soon.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I know. I keep a copy of 5.x because it gives more options.

The worst part? The version they ship on Windows has all of the full functionality still. They ship a better version of Airport utility on Windows! The new UI is nice, but I have to say I don't understand the 'benefit' from REMOVING features!

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Just buy a Mikrotik product and you'll see what an actually capable wireless router can be capable of. They even offer you a scriptable CLI which even Cisco IOS lacks.

APE is just a dumbed down toy.

Explorz

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Music Now Cutting Out

DO NOT UPDATE to 7.6.3

Freakin' brilliant Apple!

After the updates my music played through airplay to an airport express cuts out continuously.

Airplay is now useless.

Replacing a "hosed" updated AE with one without the firmware update eliminates the music cutting out issue.

Thanks Apple for another brilliant FAIL!

Last edited:

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Oh man, 5 Ghz is now all over the place. My MBA is a few cm away from my TC and rate (from 300 to 180) and signal (from -25 to -51) drop quite a lot, not much, but it was completely stable before the update. Also I have more noise on 2.4 GHz now (-80 instead of -88), what the heck.

Attachments

• TC.jpg
    TC.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
I wish they'd return some of the functionality that existed in Airport Utility 5. (It's still what they distribute to Windows). I run Airport Utility 5 alongside 6, but so far 5 does more than even 6.2!

I know. I keep a copy of 5.x because it gives more options.

Agree. I'm really disappointed that functionality from the 5.6 version still hasn't been ported over to version 6.2.

I just cannot comprehend why Apple would "dumb down" Airport Utility the way they have since v. 6. I also keep V. 5 on my new iMac for the options it affords one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.