Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Is there any approximate timeline, however, for the release of v4 on the MAS? I really want to buy it but I need iCloud sync.

Nope, not really. We told users at Macworld that public beta within a couple of months and release sometime after that. Depending on the type of feedback we receive in terms of bugs.

I already had the non MAS version but I got this in the sale for the v4 upgrade.

Congrats!

Confused...I have the non-MAS version and pressed 1Password | Check for Updates and was told that I am running the latest version (i.e. 3.8.2)...perhaps there is a difference between the MAS and non-MAS versions.

I purchased the non-MAS version a week or two ago after I saw the posting on their website that such purchases would receive a free upgrade to V4.

Joel

3.8.20 is the latest on the website. It is effectively the same as 3.9.6 which is on the Mac App Store. The different versions (3.8 vs 3.9) indicate the difference for us in tech support to be able to tell the difference. Under the hood things are different on the Mac App Store right now because we had to make some bigger changes to get into the Mac App Store.

In terms of features, there's nothing major, and a few different settings (renamed mostly) to better work with the MAS rules.

Glad I noticed this. I have 3.8 on my Macs but really want the iCloud sync that will be in 4. There may be another sale when 4 is released--or maybe not. Doubt it will be better than 50 percent off--so I went and got it now. My understanding is that Apple will not allow iCloud sync unless the app is purchased through their store, so the Agile website version will never be able to support iCloud sync--so this for me seems the time to buy. Developer feedback is that upgrade from 3.9 to 4 will be free.

All Mac App Store purchases will get version 4 for free. We promised this when we first released it on the MAS, but we didn't anticipate it taking this long to get it released.

iCloud is pretty much only guaranteed on the Mac App Store. We can't promise anything with the website version. We'll announce more about iCloud support in the future.

With version 4 WiFi syncing went away and is no longer supported and v3.8 Mac doesn't support via iCloud....so the only way to sync a v3.8 Mac and v4 iOS is Dropbox or use iTunes sync. Because of the sensitive nature of my content, I am not allowed to have any of that data stored on any public servers such as DropBox (nor iCloud when that is avail).

To Agile's credit they are revisiting the issue and are beta testing a USB tethered syncing option that is fast, secure and appropriate for the sensitive data regulations I must abide by... But for now, syncing is doable but very tedious and completely my fault as I should not have upgraded my iOS version until the Mac version is up to par as well.

Wifi syncing was extremely problematic. As I explained to a few users at Macworld. When one of their last support techs between the users and the developers (me and maybe 2 other guys) cannot get wifi syncing to work for a user after 90 minutes of time dedicated to that user... that's a problem. It isn't in our code either, that works fine. It's system setup and network configuration.

Yes, users have had great experiences with it and it worked fine. But this was not the majority and we had to remove it.

USB sync will probably be public beta soon.

So are you guys sure that if you purchase it now through the MAS for 50% off you will be able to upgrade for free to v4 when it is released?

Yes. And any purchases from our website during this sale will include version 4 as well. From this point forward all purchases will get version 4.

Just bought it too :D
Now, is there another way to add the data that's on my iPhone into the Mac version of 1Password without using Dropbox? Or am I just going to have to wait until v4 is released so I can sync with iCloud?

Dropbox is the best way to sync right now if you have a Mac involved.

iCloud requires version 4 for the Mac.

USB sync will be coming soon and is an alternative to both Dropbox and iCloud but requires tethering your device to the computer while syncing with a USB cable.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Guess it's not on sale anymore. $17.99 for IOS app, $25 for Mac app, a lot of money there.........guess I will wait for another sale. Can't justify almost 50 bucks spent

varxx

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Thread title says until 2/3/2013...yesterday was 2/7/2013....why would you think it would still be on sale?
It reverted to the regular price for several days, then went back on sale on 7 Feb.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Guess it's not on sale anymore. $17.99 for IOS app, $25 for Mac app, a lot of money there.........guess I will wait for another sale. Can't justify almost 50 bucks spent

It is on sale again--but $25 IS the sale price--regular price for the Mac app is $50.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Yes, it looks like it went on sale again for Apple's "get stuff done" (week #3) sale. I don't know when each week changes, so I'm not sure when this sale will end.

Either way, it's 50% off again, and it looks like the discount also applies if you buy it through their website. As Kyle stated earlier, all purchases made now - whether through the Mac App Store or the website - will get an upgrade to version 4 for free when it's released. He's just not sure at the moment where version 4 purchased on the website will support iCloud (but the Mac App Store version will).

It looks like the 50% sale only applies to the Mac OS X version of 1Password this time. The iOS version is back to its normal price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.