Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
And what great knowledge has be granted to you that allows you to know that this market trend is Apple's aim? What if they have something to offer they we don't know about that designates the use of a 5 inch phone?

5 inch phones are Samsung's domain. Entering it means following in Samsung's footsteps. Especially if the iphone 5is just the same phone but with a larger screen, that will be gross.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Well I am on contract so i will get mine in 2014 with a redesigned iPhone 7 however there is one problem with upping the display of a Iphone the apps. Most apps i use still have not been updated to iPhone 5 res and some i guess have been sadly forgotten.

A jump to a larger display will only create a greater pain for developers to upscale their apps once again, I cannot see this happening this year,besides Apple wants the iPhone to be comfortable in our hands.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Sure they could cover every measurement in a linear fashion from new ipod nano up to ipad full size. Yeah I guess changing the size of some existing thing is kind of innovative.

Or they could just make one device that stretches and shrinks to all sizes, depending on your required task. Now THAT would be innovation.

----------

Apple has been doomed since the time it started following market trends, not setting them, and even worse, following Samsung. Oblivion is all they deserve.

I wish I could click like on your post more than once

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
When did Apple ever market that? Only users, especially "fanboys", did. IMO the perfect screen size is the iPhone 5 except slightly wider but with an aspect ratio greater than the iPhone 4.

I think Apple did when it was released - they had that same picture of a thumb and slid the iphone 5 into it showing you could still use it 1 handed. I think it was an important part of the marketing. And I agree with it, i like the size of iphone 5, and dislike those bigger ones.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I would buy the 5" one if it had something as powerful as a i5 processor :p

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
That would still fit into some pockets which is obviously too small for a phone! Something the size of an iPad might do...

... for a while...

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Most video cameras disagree, and remember that 5" with that boxy aspect ratio will be hard to grip. The smart thing about Apple only increasing the length of the iPhone is that it's still the same width and is therefore held in the same way, but the screen is bigger. Because I have somewhat large hands, I think it could be just a little wider to be comfortable for me personally.

Subjectively, I like the iPhone 5 screen better than the iPhone 4 screen, and I'm not saying that just because I have it... because I don't. I have an iPhone 4.

I want to be able to comfortably carry my phone in my pocket. At 16:9 and 5 inches it will be too long for that. Easier to fit a bit more width then height. Also I really think you need to try using a larger 3:2 phone for awhile before you can really make a comparison. I currently have a Galaxy S3 which I believe is 3:2 if not close enough. The extra width doesn't bother me or hinder me at all its reaching for the height. Thus a 16:9 5" phone would be far too much of a stretch even for people with large hands.

I highly doubt the rumour of a 5" iPhone anyway. It took forever for apple to take the leap to a 4"

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not a troll. I own a MacBook Pro, an iMac, an iPhone 5 and an iPod Nano, I could make a photograph if I actually cared if you believed me or not. And owning all of them this is the exact reason why I'm sad, watching my favorite electronics manufacturer wither and die is not something I enjoy daily.

Firstly, it's a rumour. And secondly, if this gossip piece is in fact the real deal, then so what?! Making a slightly bigger iPhone is not copying Samdung. And if you're upset about Apple's direction and ultimate demise, recommend you sell your hardware quickly while it's still worth something! No point hanging onto technology which won't be supported in the short term!! ;)

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
If Apple retains the same aspect ratio that they use on iPhone 5, increasing the size further, will suffer the same sad outcome. "Think Different" is no longer serving Apple well.

But hey! If they bless it, the public will follow.

Even if only marginally better. That Apple logo alone will sell them.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I think Apple did when it was released - they had that same picture of a thumb and slid the iphone 5 into it showing you could still use it 1 handed. I think it was an important part of the marketing. And I agree with it, i like the size of iphone 5, and dislike those bigger ones.

They did market it a bit as an optimum size for the average person. The site also says that the 4" screen is "just right" and "It’s bigger, but it’s the same width as iPhone 4S. So everything you’ve always done with one hand — typing on the keyboard, for instance — you can still do with one hand."

This can be interpreted in slightly different ways. Even though hand size varies a lot, Apple can safely say that anyone who can use an iPhone 4S with one hand can use an iPhone 5 with one hand. I think it's the best size for the average person, but there's no perfect size for everyone.

willywonkapple

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
I have had every major iPhone release... I don't really care what they do with hardware at this point. It's always beautiful, always feels great and is the best available when it's released..

I care about the tired OS. I'm really bored with it at this point... I bought an iPhone 5 in the fall and I'm thinking of giving it to my wife and jumping ship after all these years... It sucks because I'm so deep in the apple ecosystem... I have iPads iMacs MacBooks POWERBOOKS Apple TV's iPods and iPhones... but this will most likely be my last...

It's not that iOS isn't great- it is... But I'm bored with it. It looks the same as it always has and I'm ready for a change.....I think..

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
5 inch phones are Samsung's domain. Entering it means following in Samsung's footsteps. Especially if the iphone 5is just the same phone but with a larger screen, that will be gross.

Maybe. It could be Apple following or Apple deciding on its own to make a 5" iPhone. You can't really tell unless it's something a company does a lot. Google and Amazon clearly emulated Apple's moves in iTunes and the iPhone in many ways, for example. Microsoft followed Google when making Bing. You can say that Google didn't invent the web search and that MS is therefore not copying them, but they're still following.

TheNextBigThing

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
Who didn't expect a 5-inch iPhone from Apple???
It's a MUST for them to release a GS4-sized iPhone for them to COMPETE AGGRESSIVELY.
Most of the flagship smartphones nowadays are around 5-inch in screen size.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I'm not a troll. I own a MacBook Pro, an iMac, an iPhone 5 and an iPod Nano, I could make a photograph if I actually cared if you believed me or not. And owning all of them this is the exact reason why I'm sad, watching my favorite electronics manufacturer wither and die is not something I enjoy daily.

Just saying, there have been trolls in the past who have claimed that they use Macs and have sent screenshots. I'm not calling you a troll, but you don't have any proof.

Also, Apple does follow the market whenever they update the Macs with newer processors ;)

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I have the iPhone 5 and if the screen of the next iPhone is not both wider and taller, at least like the Samsung Galaxy S III, then I'm getting me the Galaxy Note 2 or Possibly the Galaxy S IV which is said to be announced next month.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Who didn't expect a 5-inch iPhone from Apple???
It's a MUST for them to release a GS4-sized iPhone for them to COMPETE AGGRESSIVELY.
Most of the flagship smartphones nowadays are around 5-inch in screen size.

Following Samsung is not how Apple does or should compete. Otherwise, the iPhone would just be a 'Droid.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
I think I would at least seriously consider a 5" iPhone. It's certainly not going to hurt my feelings if Apple decides to release one. The 4" felt nice for awhile, but I'm so used to it now, and it doesn't feel much bigger.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Hopefully the huge phone will also have a keyboard cover that snaps on with a 'click'. That would make for great advertising..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.