Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I'm not a troll. I own a MacBook Pro, an iMac, an iPhone 5 and an iPod Nano, I could make a photograph if I actually cared if you believed me or not. And owning all of them this is the exact reason why I'm sad, watching my favorite electronics manufacturer wither and die is not something I enjoy daily.

However you still havent explained why you beleive that they are following samsung?

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Nothing wrong with Play Store. In fact it's seeing a faster increase in revenue than the App store now. The App store is still leading by far, but if that trend continues, the App store could loose it's crown.

Don't hate on that. It works great on my Mac running Snow Leopard.

Not really. It's not perfect, but certainly not bad and cluttered. Then again that's your opinion.

What's hard about updates? That's why you go the Nexus route. Updates straight from the source. Just like with the iPhone and iOS.

JB doesn't support flash. At least not by default.

Not sure what people expect from a cell phone. Yea tech will get better, but for don't expect Panavision quality.

No glitches that I can see. Everything works smoothly.

Iam going to have to agree, i went from iphone 4s to S3 have find it a great phone and the os is no worse than IOS, for those of us that like to tinker under the bonnet(Hood) i think its a much better OS.
As for updates they are always being sent out, clutter of the screen thats tosh you can set the screen to have nothing more that the dock it's about personal taste.

----------

I'm excited to see what the Galaxy S4 brings... probably another 0.1" added to the screen and some more S-Things.

But Apple will still have amazing phones as well.

The screen will be the same size i think, Octo core CPU and much faster GPU will be the best bet, oh and 128gb internal and also microsd card slot for that extra 128gb

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
lol the 3.5 screen looks so stupid at this point. going back to my old 4S now feels like playing with a tamagochi toy. how i never noticed how tiny the screen used to be i dont know

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
The Note II is 1280x720... which is 16:9

In order to make an iPhone the same width as the Note II... and keep the current iPhone 16:9 aspect ratio... you have to increase the height as well.

That would be a 5.5" iPhone!

(BTW... I know what you're saying... but Apple just now got to 16:9.... they won't be changing it again anytime soon)

So, you think they'll bring out a 5" iPhone same width?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I can see why they might do this for market share, but do find the larger phones pointless - you do have to use 2 hands and they are not pocket friendly at all.

The only good thing of course is the battery can be massive.

I used a friend's 4.8" Galaxy SIII and it felt great in the hand. It doesn't have as much top/bottom bezel as the iPhone so the body isn't radically larger.

My pockets could hold it... and look at the size of the screen! Typing with the on-screen keyboard was a great experience too.

I use my iPhone as more of a pocket computer than a telephone. The whole "one-handed" idea is lost on me... I find it easier to use two hands for most things anyway.

Sign me up for a larger iPhone!

NDTxBoh.jpg

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
I used a friend's 4.8" Galaxy SIII and it felt great in the hand. It doesn't have as much top/bottom bezel as the iPhone so the body isn't radically larger.

My pockets could hold it... and look at the size of the screen! Typing with the on-screen keyboard was a great experience too.

I use my iPhone as more of a pocket computer than a telephone. The whole "one-handed" idea is lost on me... I find it easier to use two hands for most things anyway.

Have a look on the photo Macrumors is providing at this article. The (rumoured) iPhone 6 maintains the bezels on top and bottom and it is excessively larger than the iPhone5...

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Have a look on the photo Macrumors is providing at this article. The new 5inch iPhone maintain the bezels on top and bottom and it is excessively larger than the samsung one...

Hopefully Apple won't do that... too much wasted space!

Samsung was able to squeeze in a much bigger screen without making an excessively large body.

I think it's time for Apple to make a new iconic design :)

mouser45

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2013
Apple's been behind in hardware for a long time now; nothing new there.

Where Apple is really losing their edge is iOS. So stale....

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
So, you think they'll bring out a 5" iPhone same width?

No. Going forward all iPhones will be 16:9 which means a larger screen will be an increase in both width and height.

The iPhone had a 3:2 aspect ratio for the first five years.

The recent increase in screen height was to finally bring it to 16:9

Apple didn't make a "taller" iPhone for the hell of it...

Parky

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Too big for me, I prefer the size of the current iPhone 5.
Not a problem with Apple making more sizes though, what ever people want it is OK with me.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I forsee that a bigger iphone is coming.

The ratio will be based on a 5x7 grid of icons for sure! I hope ios 7 brings homescreen widgets or live icons that update like weather etc.

Can anyone do the math and calculate what resolution it would be based on a 5x7 grid of icons at the current pixel mapping?

wolfie

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2008
This is what I propose. The iPhone 6 is likley to be real as a large screen at this point and may or may not be released this year.

Apple can slide around the whole marketing gimmick of the 4inch being right for one hand use * IN THE CURRENT IOS STATE*

Im suggesting the iPhone 6 will complement a redesigned iOS where the most common uses for a phone are * still within one hand reach * and the outskirts of the phone are used for other iOS features * say widgets*

A 5 inch iPhone while ill enjoy the screen estate is not really designed for the current IOS as it will look crowded with all these tiny icons and may need two hands to reach apps in the corner of the screen. It just looks ugly. 5 inch Iphone is real…. but the human interface and ease of use will be designed with the hopefully ground up, new future iOS design. Of course this hypothetical redesigned iOS will just be shrunken down on the smaller screen.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
That would be awesome. A 4" and 5" iPhone is exactly what Apple (and the market) needs! It will give iPhone sales an enormous boost if the price weren't that much higher than the current iPhone 5.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
If they do a 5" phone I sure hope it doesn't have that stupid 16:9 aspect ratio. I still think the perfect phone size is between 4 to 4.5 inches with a 3:2 aspect ratio or whatever the old iPhone was.

You only say that because Apple doesn't offer a 5" display on an iPhone. I've had no trouble adapting whatsoever to my GSIII, and Nexus 4. I'm not claiming that EVERYONE wants a 5" screen, but clearly enough people do. :cool:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
why would apple make 264ppi phone where the elements would be bigger on the 5" phone just to keep the same resolution.

personally as a developer, I don't mind in adding a new screen resolution as long as it is set for the next 3-4 years.

think about it, the phone size would stop at 5 or maybe 6 inches and after that
probably the screen resolution that would increase. why not make a 1080p 5inch display that would be set for another 3-4 years.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London

Each to there own of course. But.....

I am not blind.. I don't need a bigger screen - the res is incredible at a normal distance.

I don't have fat fingers. iOS keyboard is fine - I'd just prefer more custom keyboards... i.e twitter should have @ and # as standard etc.

My suit pocket does look bulged with an S3. iPhone does not.

Then again my fav phone size was the nokia 8310.

Bring on the Contact lens screen and brain microphones is what I say.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Cant the fanboys crawl back under their mom's skirts and let us have this? What are they afraid of, that the big bad ol' Tim will take away their iPhone 5 (4" of which they deemed too big just a year ago) and force them to carry around a football field sized phone (haha) in their purses?

You're a fool if you think Apple won't also keep the regular phone. It would be suicide to do anything else.

I'll buy an 4.8-5" iPhone the second it comes out. This is a huge opportunity for Apple to get out of it's stock slump and a huge untapped segment of the market for them.

I would only say they have to lose the square/brick shape they have now because all those hard edges just won't fly on a phone that big.

I also agree they should dump the 16:9 aspect ratio. Makes the phone too damn skinny and tall and what they need is more width.

I pray to Jeebus there's some truth in this rumor.

woodbine

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
This is how I see it. In the months up to SJ's death, I imagine it would be difficult for Apple to make many long term strategic decisions. Following his death would be another period of instability within the management (look at all the mis-hires, departures etc).

From all accounts SJ had a real anathema towards 'large' phones, it could have been difficult to turn that strategy around quickly. So in the meantime, it's possible that Samsung etc, decided to try out big phones and get a jump on innovation whilst Apple seemed still a bit mired in the SJ legacy.

I'm sure if SJ was still alive and healthy, Aple would have a whole line of different sized phones by now and all the criticism wouldn't be happening.

So maybe Apple is playing some catch-up here, let's hope they don't stumble....

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
I'd love a 5" iPhone, but seriously, if their product lines start looking this excessive, then: A.) Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave and B.) Tim Cook will need to come up with better PR phrases than, "Apple needs to stay LASER FOCUSED!" because I don't believe him.

This is not laser focused. You can't just keep introducing new products on top of new products on top of new products. Something needs to get eliminated. Trim the fat. Drop the 16gb models on everything and offer 32/64/128gb models. Stop selling iPhone 3GS/4/4S, stop making non-retina notebooks, and just rename iPad Mini to iPad, offering two different screen sizes for customers when they check out (similar to when you buy an iMac).

I also feel that Apple needs to stop flirting with the idea that they're good at doing Internet services. While iCloud/maps/iTunes Match all work sorta kinda alright, I don't think anyone will tell you with a straight face that they're truly amazing or even up to what you would expect from an Apple product or service. They need to start collaborating with companies who know what they're doing in the realm.

Apple's product line used to be as simple and elegant as the product's themselves, which was Steve's idea when he returned to the company, and was a big reason why they made such a big comeback when they were near bankruptcy. I'm all for giving the customer choices, but at the same time, too many choices can generate confusion for the average consumer.

TLDR version: STOP RELEASING SO MUCH STUFF, APPLE!!!

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
This is how I see it. In the months up to SJ's death, I imagine it would be difficult for Apple to make many long term strategic decisions. Following his death would be another period of instability within the management (look at all the mis-hires, departures etc).

From all accounts SJ had a real anathema towards 'large' phones, it could have been difficult to turn that strategy around quickly. So in the meantime, it's possible that Samsung etc, decided to try out big phones and get a jump on innovation whilst Apple seemed still a bit mired in the SJ legacy.

I'm sure if SJ was still alive and healthy, Aple would have a whole line of different sized phones by now and all the criticism wouldn't be happening.

So maybe Apple is playing some catch-up here, let's hope they don't stumble....
Of course Apple is playing catch-up. The market is filled with 5" screens, people love big screens and Apple should have understood that long ago. Plain and simple.

Now, there's nothing wrong with playing catch-up if you do it right. I'm pretty sure Apple will nail it when they come with a 5" device.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I'd love a 5" iPhone, but seriously, if their product lines start looking this excessive, then: A.) Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave and B.) Tim Cook will need to come up with better PR phrases than, "Apple needs to stay LASER FOCUSED!" because I don't believe him.

This is not laser focused. You can't just keep introducing new products on top of new products on top of new products. Something needs to get eliminated. Trim the fat. Drop the 16gb models on everything and offer 32/64/128gb models. Stop selling iPhone 3GS/4/4S, stop making non-retina notebooks, and just rename iPad Mini to iPad, offering two different screen sizes for customers when they check out (similar to when you buy an iMac).

I also feel that Apple needs to stop flirting with the idea that they're good at doing Internet services. While iCloud/maps/iTunes Match all work sorta kinda alright, I don't think anyone will tell you with a straight face that they're truly amazing or even up to what you would expect from an Apple product or service. They need to start collaborating with companies who know what they're doing in the realm.

Apple's product line used to be as simple and elegant as the product's themselves, which was Steve's idea when he returned to the company, and was a big reason why they made such a big comeback when they were near bankruptcy. I'm all for giving the customer choices, but at the same time, too many choices can generate confusion for the average consumer.

TLDR version: STOP RELEASING SO MUCH STUFF, APPLE!!!
You're so wrong. Apple has multiple size in EVERY product line: iPod, iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, hell, even routers come in two sizes. The only exception to the rule is the iPhone, and why? Because Apple declared one-handed use as the holy grail. They were wrong, because people love big screens more than they love one-handed use. Ask Samsung, HTC or Sony what they think is the sweet spot.

It's plain and simple, the vision of Steve Jobs ('3,5" is the sweet spot') doesn't fully apply anymore. So, Apple needs to adjust and they will. Just like Steve has done multiple times as CEO.

----------

why would apple make 264ppi phone where the elements would be bigger on the 5" phone just to keep the same resolution.

personally as a developer, I don't mind in adding a new screen resolution as long as it is set for the next 3-4 years.

think about it, the phone size would stop at 5 or maybe 6 inches and after that
probably the screen resolution that would increase. why not make a 1080p 5inch display that would be set for another 3-4 years.
I think developers need to stop bitching about resolutions. Of course, Apple shouldn't change every year, but if they do, you'll have to live with that. See it as a fact of life: screens change, so your apps have to change as well. 'Laziness' of developers should never hold back innovation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.