Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
I got my late 2012 27" iMac with 8GB RAM. I purchased 16GB of the recommended Crucial RAM (using the Crucial configurator). After installing the RAM with the Apple RAM, 24GB appeared in system information. However, after shutting down and restarting from a cold boot, it only reported 16GB. After playing around with the slots a bit, I could get it to recognize any 2 RAM chips, but never all 4.

So I figured the brands weren't getting along. Ordered 16GB more of the Crucial RAM and same thing is happening. It won't recognize more than 2 RAM chips. The weird thing is that it is not isolated to one slot. Each slot seems capable of recognizing the RAM, but once more than 2 are populated, only 2 are recognized and the other 2 are reporting empty. I have repeatedly tried to make sure they are seated right, and am now running out of ideas other than I may have a hardware issue. The only thing that is keeping me very slightly optimistic is that each port seems to be functional, just not all at the same time. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

The Crucial RAM is model # CT2C8G3S160BM

The iMac is a 3.4 GHz i7.

Last edited:

larabrynn

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
That seems odd. I bought the same 16gigs of RAM and installed it with the factory 8 and have not had a single issue. I swapped locations of the factory RAM so the crucial sticks are first. Did you make sure all the sticks are seated firmly? I seem to remember that it took some effort to push them into their seat. I also did notice that the pairings are staggered, so check to see if you have matched pairs in "About This Mac" It'll show you clearly how the sticks are installed. I have read that these computers are not happy with unmatched pairs of RAM sticks. If everything looks happy, you might have some hardware issues, and despite having aftermarket RAM, Apple should take care of it.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
I agree it's really odd. I'm going to try to seat them once again as I know that is really the most common problem. Any tricks? These seem a little finicky about seating (i.e., they seem to be in but maybe aren't). Sometimes I don't hear an audible "cick," they just sort of slide in, but seem to be trued up. Very frustrating.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Well, simplest first. I've tried enough reseating etc. for now. Always possible I got bad RAM so I ordered another 16GB kit. We'll see. But I also tried putting the original 4GB chips back in with the Crucial RAM and they weren't recognized.

Not fun.

BigMac25

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2009
Ordered crucial 32gb of ram from newegg, no problems installing and recognizing all the ram. I would have apple check it out.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Ordered crucial 32gb of ram from newegg, no problems installing and recognizing all the ram. I would have apple check it out.

My guess is you're right. Such a PITA, but first world problems and such...

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Yes, thanks, both. But I'm going to try again today. It's weird; almost as if whatever the BIOS equivalent is is limiting total RAM to 16GB. Of course, it could very easily just be hardware failure.

Is there any way to find out if the max RAM has somehow been limited?

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
How did you come up with that RAM model? When I check Crucial's configurator for a 2 x 8GB (16GB) kit for the late 2012 27" iMac, I get part # CT3650282. In fact, Crucial didn't recognize the part number you quoted when I did a search on their site.

This is the page that shows the compatible memory:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...z Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (27-inch, Late 2012)

Are both sets of Crucial RAM producing the same effect when installed with the original Apple RAM? In System profiler, do the same sockets always show as filled and empty, or does that change each time you swap the DIMMs?

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
How did you come up with that RAM model? When I check Crucial's configurator for a 2 x 8GB (16GB) kit for the late 2012 27" iMac, I get part # CT3650282. In fact, Crucial didn't recognize the part number you quoted when I did a search on their site.

This is the page that shows the compatible memory:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...z Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (27-inch, Late 2012)

Are both sets of Crucial RAM producing the same effect when installed with the original Apple RAM? In System profiler, do the same sockets always show as filled and empty, or does that change each time you swap the DIMMs?

The Crucial model numbering system is a mess. I believe the part # you show is actually the same part, but Crucial uses certain of its part #s to link to certain machine usage for problem tracking etc. This is what I've gleaned from the Crucial website. But it is certainly far from clear and easy. Regardless, I used Crucial to configure the chips and the part number I gave above is the one that I received. I then ordered the exact same from Amazon. I just did it again through Crucial, and the part # was the one you showed above.

And I can find no consistency with respect to the problem. When all are filled, it appears that DIMM0 is always shown empty. But if I just fill those, leaving the others truly empty, then everything works fine. I need to make a more organized sheet of my trial and error, though. Maybe some pattern will emerge.

And both sets of RAM appear to be producing the same effect, but I will confirm that again just to be certain.

EDIT: For those interested, here's a thread over at Crucial's forums that explains the reason for different part #s for the same memory: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Apple-Mac-Memory/16gb-Mac-Mini-Ram-Upgrade-choices/td-p/111512

Last edited:

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Hopefully you are not that far from an Apple store. If so, I would perform the SMC reset and flush the PRAM, maybe more than once.

Place the factory RAM into the iMac, check that it is in the original slots 0, 2.

Take the unit to the Genius Bar and have them install the 32GB of memory and witness this issue. I think that there is a failed part in your iMac.

If you're not close to a B&M store, I'm afraid that you're looking at a return/exchange.:eek:

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Thanks for the advice. I'm afraid you're right. The thing to do is bring it in. I'm in NYC, so it's not a big deal, though inconvenient.

On a side note, if you purchased a unit at an Apple store, can you exchange it at a different Apple store?

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
The memory controller is in the CPU chip. There are no active components between the RAM sockets and CPU, only the circuit traces. The fact that all four sockets work in pairs indicates there are no physical connection issues between the sockets and the memory controller logic for each socket.

It looks to me that that the memory controller is having an issue with that particular Crucial RAM. It could be a problem with the internal organization of the chips on each module, i.e., two physical DIMMs can look like four modules. It could also be an issue with the memory loading, and the memory controller not being able to handle four DIMMs, which would indicate a defective CPU. A quick look at the Intel communities indicates that the 3770 CPU memory controller can have issues with particular memory modules and memory socket configurations. The 3770 can handle both 1.35v and 1.50v RAM.

If you could get a couple of Apple DDR3 SODIMMs to install with the original ones, even from an MBP, it would settle the loading question.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Just an update. Got 2 new sticks from Crucial. Same problem. Time to go to the Store I guess.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Just an update. Got 2 new sticks from Crucial. Same problem. Time to go to the Store I guess.

Yup - how old is the machine (Within the 14 day exchange period?)? They'll run the AHT, and see what's wrong. I hope you get a replacement on the spot; and TBH, you should be pushing for one. 32GB is supported.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Took delivery about a month ago.

----------

I guess my other question here is do I call AppleCare first or just bring it to the store? I have the big SSD so I doubt they'll just be able to do a swap.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Took delivery about a month ago.

----------

I guess my other question here is do I call AppleCare first or just bring it to the store? I have the big SSD so I doubt they'll just be able to do a swap.

Oh it's a CTO? You should make a genius appointment for an exact time, take it in, then yes they can't replace CTO right there and then. Given the supply constraints, you'd have to wait however long the wait time is (few weeks?)

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Just an update. Went to the Genius bar and replicated the problem. But of course they had no Apple-certified RAM in house so we reached an impasse as to whether it was the Crucial memory or the logic board or something else. So I bought some more Apple RAM, popped it in, same problem. I'm going to call AppleCare and try to get them to replace the machine.

This stinks.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Thanks for the link. Will run it tonight and report back. It passed using Apple RAM only (and only in 2 slots) at the Apple Store and ran into a problem running (I think) when loaded up with the Crucial RAM, but this of course gets back to the third party out for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.