Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Okay, tell me I'm not crazy

All I did was search for Angry Birds

igkpqw.jpg

There is like 1,000 + results. How in the world am I going to browse through all of those results? That would take 1,000 swipes and my fingers are tired just after 50 swipes.

I don't think this is fair for the developers who make their own iOS apps because the farther down you search, the most physically demanding it becomes to browse. And that really worries me because there might be some good apps all the way back there.

In fact, I think that there's been some stagnation in iOS app discovery because of this method. I don't browse the App Store like I used to. 50 is as far as I can go.

Why does it stop for every app? Why can't it just slide like a carousel?

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Are you implying that I have a weaker than average finger strength?

I just think it's poor app design. I was told there was an easier way. But I have yet to find it.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
You may want to leave feedback www.apple.com/feedback who makes they may bring your idea to ios7

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
This really sparks the discussion that there is a real lack of good games for iOS. It's also like developers have stopped developing for the platform.

I mean, I've been playing the same thing for almost a year.

Are you implying that I have a weaker than average finger strength?

I just think it's poor app design. I was told there was an easier way. But I have yet to find it.

Jokes aside, I think the new tiled or pinboard design gives a better preview of apps without having to tap to open them. I personally think this saves me time and speeds up finding apps as it allows me to skip over apps that look terribly designed.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
It's like Bricks/Mortals again. They purposely make u wander the whole store in the hope that u pick up more than just the one item ur looking for. :(

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

All I did was search for Angry Birds

There is like 1,000 + results. How in the world am I going to browse through all of those results? That would take 1,000 swipes and my fingers are tired just after 50 swipes.

I don't think this is fair for the developers who make their own iOS apps because the farther down you search, the most physically demanding it becomes to browse. And that really worries me because there might be some good apps all the way back there.

In fact, I think that there's been some stagnation in iOS app discovery because of this method. I don't browse the App Store like I used to. 50 is as far as I can go.

Why does it stop for every app? Why can't it just slide like a carousel?

For starters, why did you search for Angry Birds if you weren't looking for Angry Birds? If you're looking for other games, don't use a known game as a search term.

I don't like the way the iOS app store is laid out either. But for real searching I just my computer if I don't know specifically what I want, I just know what genre of app I'm looking for.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
For starters, why did you search for Angry Birds if you weren't looking for Angry Birds? If you're looking for other games, don't use a known game as a search term.

I don't like the way the iOS app store is laid out either. But for real searching I just my computer if I don't know specifically what I want, I just know what genre of app I'm looking for.

I was looking for Angry Birds. But then I found other apps, I would've liked to see all 1,000 apps because I feel like the App Store is lacking new games, I found, The Sheeps, and a Pinball game, and also Bad Piggies.

But I could never get to 1,000 because its exhausting.

But the question is, how does a game like Angry Birds even bring about these other kinds of apps???

Pardon me, but this App Store needs a complete reworking. What even makes these search terms relevant?

It's a real mystery.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I agree. Scrolling through apps in the app store is a pain. I'm not going to pretend it's better because apple designed it or said it's better. It just plain sucks. I feel for the devs who's apps won't get discovered. Hopefully apple fixes this with iOS 7.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I was looking for Angry Birds. But then I found other apps, I would've liked to see all 1,000 apps because I feel like the App Store is lacking new games, I found, The Sheeps, and a Pinball game, and also Bad Piggies.

But I could never get to 1,000 because its exhausting.

But the question is, how does a game like Angry Birds even bring about these other kinds of apps???

Pardon me, but this App Store needs a complete reworking. What even makes these search terms relevant?

It's a real mystery.

Agreed with both of you guys there. I want more refined searches. I want categories with categories. Go to games, select from a variety of different categories (action/adventure/shooter/puzzle/RPG/etc) I could have sworn they use to have this feature. If they still have in iOS 6 then I'm not doing something right. I don't care what's hot right now or what the best sellers are. I want to see what games/apps I personally might enjoy.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Click on categories. :) @ op, I too hate the new App Store.

Oh what the heck. I was trying it during the last post and when I hit categories it only had one blank box on the left and the carrot facing the right on the right side. Now it's doing what you showed. What the heck did I do before?

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
?

You are not crazy. I also find the new design fairly annoying. It is fine if you know exactly what you want, but not so much to browse

My view is:
- it is a maginal improvement if you already know what you want and you are searching for the exact app name - as it will directly display more details instead of a list.
- if you don't have an app name but just want to look for 'currency converter' or something like that, it is pretty annoying as you can't see all the currency converters at a glance (and usually just based on the app names and prices in the list you could probably have discarded 80% of them, wherase now you have to go through all of them).

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
It's like looking through a clearance bin for iPhone cases, you can see a ton of the crappy ones, but you have to look at then one by one.

I don't mind the card view, if only they just made it scroll loosely so I can slide past the ones I've already seen.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
It's like looking through a clearance bin for iPhone cases, you can see a ton of the crappy ones, but you have to look at then one by one.

I don't mind the card view, if only they just made it scroll loosely so I can slide past the ones I've already seen.

It's called "Shopping" you may have encountered similar experiences when looking in a store... This additionally largely ignores the fact that you can view the store through iTunes or online on your computer.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Why is scrolling so rough on the iPhone anyway?

I remember you used to be able to zip through lists.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Why is scrolling so rough on the iPhone anyway?

I remember you used to be able to zip through lists.

If you mean the horizontal scrolling of the AppStore search, it's intended to be like that.

As for the vertical scrolling, it's been like that since iOS 6 beta 1.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
If you mean the horizontal scrolling of the AppStore search, it's intended to be like that.

As for the vertical scrolling, it's been like that since iOS 6 beta 1.

Oh so you remember scrolling being more fluid before iOS6?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 6.1 improved the vertical scrolling in the App Store app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.