Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
When I look at this picture, I have to laugh... :DD I mean look at the size of this moster on the right side... it's preposterous. It's like a parody, but I'm afraid somebody meant this pretty serious. If this is what the next iPhone will offer then thanks, but no thanks. :rolleyes:

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I'm all for options. A giant iPhone would be an excellent choice for people who want it. I'm probably fine with the smaller ones, but having bigger handsets wouldn't do Apple any harm. For some users a bigger screen could make usability much greater.

Exactly. Want a big phone? Buy a big phone. Want a small phone? Buy a small phone.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I want to be able to comfortably carry my phone in my pocket. At 16:9 and 5 inches it will be too long for that. Easier to fit a bit more width then height. Also I really think you need to try using a larger 3:2 phone for awhile before you can really make a comparison. I currently have a Galaxy S3 which I believe is 3:2 if not close enough. The extra width doesn't bother me or hinder me at all its reaching for the height. Thus a 16:9 5" phone would be far too much of a stretch even for people with large hands.

I highly doubt the rumour of a 5" iPhone anyway. It took forever for apple to take the leap to a 4"

The whole "screen is too tall" thing has always been hilarious to me. As if Apple has created some previously unheard of ratio/awkward screen size.

The GS3 has a 16:9 aspect ratio FYI, as do most modern smartphones. The 4" Droid razr has almost identical dimensions to the iPhone 5.

----------

What do you guys think of this post, it includes a video as well, on the iPhone 6 Concept.

iPhone 6 Design Concept

That. Is. Awful.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hey apple, the 6" phone screen market is free for the taking.

Screw that, they should just put a phone in the iPad Mini. Bigger is better after all (just ask any guy)

----------

Well they best stop ****ing about and either confirm or bring the 6 out soon, as come March I'm swapping my 4S for a new Galaxy. Lack of innovation and always late to the party .... that's apple these days!!

That has been Apple for ages and its been rather obvious, so you might as well jump ship already.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Apple has been doomed since the time it started following market trends, not setting them, and even worse, following Samsung. Oblivion is all they deserve.

Even when Steve Jobs was still heading Apple, the company would still occasionally follow market trends. When laptops were hot, Apple switched to intel (like everyone else was using) and supported dual boot functionality so that Windows could be loaded onto them. Remember all the naysaying on these boards then? I do. After that, it was an arms race between Apple and Dell trying to best each other with one following the other on occasion.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
wait and see

I'm not upgrading until next year - IF I do upgrade.

For me the iPad cannibalized the iPhone, so if I do get another iPad, I may not upgrade my iPhone. 98% of what I do on the phone I can do on the iPad anyway so...

I don't know how I feel about the bigger iPhone though. While my eyes might appreciate it, I'm not doing much reading/writing it these days.

Wait and see for me.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Even when Steve Jobs was still heading Apple, the company would still occasionally follow market trends. When laptops were hot, Apple switched to intel (like everyone else was using) and supported dual boot functionality so that Windows could be loaded onto them. Remember all the naysaying on these boards then? I do. After that, it was an arms race between Apple and Dell trying to best each other with one following the other on occasion.

Apple switching to Intel was not due to following market trends. Unless you think obeying "reality" is following trends.

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
diversify - it's inevitable

why all this - "apple will never do this!"?

they have two ipad size's

they have two iphone size's

there is a HUGE demand for bigger phones. why not target it?

no smoke without fire.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Nothing wrong with Play Store. In fact it's seeing a faster increase in revenue than the App store now. The App store is still leading by far, but if that trend continues, the App store could loose it's crown.

Google's Play Store may be seeing a faster *percentage* increase in revenue than the App Store, but by the last set of numbers I've seen, Apple's App Store is seeing a faster *absolute* increase in revenue. So, if those trends continue, the Google Play Store will never catch up with Apple's App Store.

It's easy to have a huge percentage increase in something small. It's much harder to have a huge percentage increase in something large.

A has 5 of something, and gets 10 more, A's holdings increased 200%.
B has 1000 of something, and gets 100 more, B's holdings increased by 10%.
B's holdings have increased by 1000% more than A's holdings.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
That is what this rumor is for. To make people stop buying iPhones.

I think this 5" iPhone will never happen, but then they launched the iPad mini. I hope Apple is not following Samsung, it would be really sad.

5" iPhone 6? I would definitely wait and buy that.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
If the 5 inch iphone is as thin or thinner than my note 2 then I'll be definitely be picking up an iphone

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012
Prediction.

I didn't read all the previous 250 comments, so I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this. I am confident in this:

The new "cheap" iPhone and the 5" "iPhone Math" that have been rumored are the same thing.

I think apple launches a bigger iPhone that it will offer in the $300-350 range WITHOUT CONTRACT. They can make an iPad mini in this range, so I think it's doable.

I've had an iPhone since launch day in '07 and always thought those bigger phones were silly but the iPhone 5 has made me a believer. I don't see any reason not to go bigger, ESP if apple makes the software adjustments I expect to still tout "one handed operation".

I bet the new phone comes in the summer.

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Have fun backpedaling on all the "this screen is the best size" marketing.

I'm pretty sure that all marketing of all products for the past 60 years has had no trouble whatsoever in simply ignoring the past in order to sell the latest AS greatest.

Advertising has exactly 0% historical, reflective sense otherwise it would disappear up it's own arse into a singularity.

Which it frequently does...

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Will be interesting what Apple does, a 5S model may nit do anything to help their sales, they need a model boost IP6 then just a bump in specs

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
The iphone with a 5" screen is even lighter than the 5? That would be awesome. I would buy it.

It's also bigger inside than the outside.

It will be so light that it flies away if you don't hold it in the well known death grip.

I believe it all when we see the first blurred potato shot of the home button.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Cant the fanboys crawl back under their mom's skirts and let us have this? What are they afraid of, that the big bad ol' Tim will take away their iPhone 5 (4" of which they deemed too big just a year ago) and force them to carry around a football field sized phone (haha) in their purses?

You're a fool if you think Apple won't also keep the regular phone. It would be suicide to do anything else.

I'll buy an 4.8-5" iPhone the second it comes out. This is a huge opportunity for Apple to get out of it's stock slump and a huge untapped segment of the market for them.

I would only say they have to lose the square/brick shape they have now because all those hard edges just won't fly on a phone that big.

I also agree they should dump the 16:9 aspect ratio. Makes the phone too damn skinny and tall and what they need is more width.

I pray to Jeebus there's some truth in this rumor.

The S3 is 16:9

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Great, if that happens then I'm sure Samsung will sue Apple for copying their size profile :p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.