Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I never hear any problems with Microsoft Silverlight. Is it extremely secure or just nobody uses it or cares?
Security hasn't been a big issue. It has had problems where certain versions didn't work properly, although the last year or so have been ok.
it has it's own problems but the fact that few people have it installed has made it a less visible target. Ask yourself this: Do you really need Silverlight? The answer is extremely rarely yes so why augment the ways you can be remotely hacked.
It runs Netflix on a computer. So, anyone running Netflix uses it. I've not heard of it being used anywhere else. I'm sure MS has some pages with demos or something.

pmhparis

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
devinez...
This. Although I wasn't working, I did find it annoying that a lot of the websites I visited that needed the adobe plug-in where completely useless because of this block.

If it is so necessary to you, why were you unable to discover that Chrome includes it's own version of flash? Is your google-foo that poor?

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I'm not where I can test this right now. But I'm assuming the block only affects Safari, and local Flash projects, right?
If that's the case then that would mean Chrome would still work fine, right?
(since Flash is sort of baked into Chrome)

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Any exploits in the wild for this, or is this just a security "hole" that is being closed? Basically, does anyone need to worried that they have been compromised?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Flash isn't supported by iOS, Android since 4.1, or Windows Phone 8. It's ridiculous that web designers still use the technology.

Not only that but it's ridiculous that a website would still require Flash or Java to function properly. A proper website should still be readable and navigable with javascript disabled.

cntwtfrmynwmbp

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
The last Google Chrome version is 24.0.1312.57 which was released in late January.

So does this mean that the Flash plugin in Chrome is vulnerable until they release an update?

Edit: Flash version is 11.5.31.139 listed under plug-ins in Chrome.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
I think you (Mac users) should be thankful for Apple giving a **** and blocking these things.
Even that it is important, some users could be affected (I don't really know, but I believe Apple knows that better than any of us), so they block the whole thing to protect the customer who doesn't go to forums. That's cool.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
If it is so necessary to you, why were you unable to discover that Chrome includes it's own version of flash? Is your google-foo that poor?

I find Safari to be better built for gesture based browsing since I use a trackpad. While Chrome does have some of those gesture, they're pretty clunky sometimes. I do prefer Chrome when I'm using my Windows PC at home or work. :p

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
It runs Netflix on a computer. So, anyone running Netflix uses it. I've not heard of it being used anywhere else. I'm sure MS has some pages with demos or something.

Anyone using Netflix on Mac or Windows needs Silverlight. There's no Silverlight on :apple:TV, iOS devices, Nintendo devices, Android devices, etc.

pmhparis

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
devinez...

I don't live in the US so no netflix... I do know a few devs that were sucked into the Silverlight tarbaby & are now attempting to extricate themselves but around here it's rare that people need it.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
when you mean game sites do you mean Farmville ? LoL I only game on my xbox 360 I tried gaming on keyboards very weird especially when trying to play sports game

No, I mean sites like God of War, Any EA and Diablo.
I'm a hard core gamer. I wish they would stop using Flash but it's not happening. I use my ipad 99.9% of the time but get frustrated because I want to visit those sites. Farmville is not a game. And I hate sports.
I didn’t mean playing games. I meant going to the console games websites.
Sorry I didn't say that clearly.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Apple needs to stop blocking software. If they want to display a warning, fine. But for people who rely on their computers to do actual work, it isn't acceptable for them to keep disabling software that many people use and need on a daily basis. Inform people of the vulnerability and give them the option of disabling it.

This is already better than the JAVA incident. At least they tell you now.

Guaranteed if we check the EULA, they can do this as we do not own the OS, just license it.

Not a big deal for many users, who won't even know about this issue.

If you need flash you can use Firefox or Chrome.

nilka

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
I cant really say I enjoy Apple blocking all these plugins. I am not sure I agree with it at all, what I however have noticed is that the people behind the plugin work a heck of a lot faster fixing the problem whenever Apple blocks their plugins.
Before apple started this it could go more than a month until they fixed it, now they often have an update the day after or even within hours.

Again I dont like Apple blocking this stuff but it is facinating how muc quicker these plugin companys can fix the issues when under pressure.

pmhparis

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
devinez...
I find Safari to be better built for gesture based browsing since I use a trackpad. While Chrome does have some of those gesture, they're pretty clunky sometimes. I do prefer Chrome when I'm using my Windows PC at home or work. :p

Then instead of complaining when Apple blocks vulnerable versions of flash from Safari, I suggest that you update your flash or switch to Chrome/Mac so that this is not an issue. Those of us who are more concerned with being safe than sorry are thankful the Apple has become this proactive and reserve Chrome/Mac for the cases where flash is unavoidable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.