Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
What are the main reasons why apple sticks to white or black iPhones. Would you prefer a multiple color choice of phones?

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
I am fine with my black one, for the sake of change I'd get a white one the next generation but black will not display dirt as good as a white would ( Atleast, I think )
It's either black or white, if a blue or green one was available I would be able to consider another color.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
What are the main reasons why apple sticks to white or black iPhones. Would you prefer a multiple color choice of phones?

There are 16GB, 32GB and 64GB iPhones, built for three different vendors, all of which come in two colors. That is 18 SKUs of inventory to manage, right there.

If you want a colorful phone, buy a colorful case.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

I think some additional colors might be nice. I'm not a huge fan of some of the neon colors I've seen on other phones though.

I think that jazzing about iOS would go a lot farther.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
More colors would mean additional cost and would not boost sales. Why do it?

More colors would not boost sales? What makes you say that? Course it will boost sales. Consumers will have more choice. Also people wouldn't have to buy cases to add bulk to the phones just to have another color.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
More colors would mean additional cost and would not boost sales. Why do it?

Oh really then why do they offer more colors for the iPod touch? Iphone are not that much more to make than the iPod.

----------

There are 16GB, 32GB and 64GB iPhones, built for three different vendors, all of which come in two colors. That is 18 SKUs of inventory to manage, right there.

If you want a colorful phone, buy a colorful case.

This gets said all the time. It get real old " apple has 18 models of the iphone what more could you want". Come on now there is only two models white and black and 3 choices of GB. I think Apple fans like to say this to make it sound like Apple give people choices or something, but really it is the one phone with different amount of memory. They don't make different phones for the different sizes. I am not sure what Apple fans are trying to say by bragging about this.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Oh really then why do they offer more colors for the iPod touch? Iphone are not that much more to make than the iPod.

----------

This gets said all the time. It get real old " apple has 18 models of the iphone what more could you want". Come on now there is only two models white and black and 3 choices of GB. I think Apple fans like to say this to make it sound like Apple give people choices or something, but really it is the one phone with different amount of memory. They don't make different phones for the different sizes. I am not sure what Apple fans are trying to say by bragging about this.

There is only one iPod touch of each color and each size. Pretty simple. For the iPhone there is the added complication of different carriers all over the world. Not as simple.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
There is only one iPod touch of each color and each size. Pretty simple. For the iPhone there is the added complication of different carriers all over the world. Not as simple.

Yes but I said before you are not making a completely different phone you are just changing the internals. That really is not that hard nor that much more money. I just think Apple is doing the same thing it has done the whole life of the iphone. They are adding features slowly cause well let's face it do they really have many ideas to add, so they are taking it slow. There is no reason they could not add a few more colors.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Yes but I said before you are not making a completely different phone you are just changing the internals. That really is not that hard nor that much more money. I just think Apple is doing the same thing it has done the whole life of the iphone. They are adding features slowly cause well let's face it do they really have many ideas to add, so they are taking it slow. There is no reason they could not add a few more colors.

why make things more complicated when you do not have to.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
It really would not add that much complication, and why would they not have to or want to. People love choices, and it would open up the market even more.

Look at it from apple's point of view. It's an extra step they don't need.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

"Brag?" WTF?

It is, in fact, 18 iPhone SKUs that Apple has to currently to manage inventory for. If there were six colors, like the iPod Touch, then Apple would have 54 SKUs to manage. That's not me being an "Apple fan", that's just how Apple does business. You don't see 50 varieties of iMacs in stock, do you?

If (and that's a big "if") there was a single universal LTE/CDMA/GSM chip that world work on AT&T/Verizon/Sprint in the US and all the carriers in Canada and Europe and Asia, then you might see additional colors.

Until then, Apple isn't really interested in having to keep stock of nine pink iPhone SKUs (AT&T/16GB, AT&T/32GB, AT&T/64GB, Verizon/16GB, Verizon/32GB, Verizon/64GB, Sprint/16GB, Sprint/32GB, Sprint/64GB) along with all the other colors of the rainbow. Especially when black and white meet the needs of the vast majority of iPhone users, and the people who want pretty pink phones can simply buy one of hundreds of case designs already on the market.

You may not understand inventory management, but you can be damned sure that Tim Cook does.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
"Brag?" WTF?

It is, in fact, 18 iPhone SKUs that Apple has to currently to manage inventory for. If there were six colors, like the iPod Touch, then Apple would have 54 SKUs to manage. That's not me being an "Apple fan", that's just how Apple does business. You don't see 50 varieties of iMacs in stock, do you?

If (and that's a big "if") there was a single universal LTE/CDMA/GSM chip that world work on AT&T/Verizon/Sprint in the US and all the carriers in Canada and Europe and Asia, then you might see additional colors.

Until then, Apple isn't really interested in having to keep stock of nine pink iPhone SKUs (AT&T/16GB, AT&T/32GB, AT&T/64GB, Verizon/16GB, Verizon/32GB, Verizon/64GB, Sprint/16GB, Sprint/32GB, Sprint/64GB) along with all the other colors of the rainbow. Especially when black and white meet the needs of the vast majority of iPhone users, and the people who want pretty pink phones can simply buy one of hundreds of case designs already on the market.

You may not understand inventory management, but you can be damned sure that Tim Cook does.

Well said.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
"Brag?" WTF?

Ok. They have one phone 2 colors and some different internals they can put in the phone. Sure they have to keep with different SKUs, but don't kid yourself all they have to have is stocks of iPhones. You really only need a wide range of internals which they already have to do.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
AT&T store only had black 4S. My salesgirl took it from a UPS box that arrived moments before I ported my number over. IMHO, the white was too "girly" for me.

Spidder

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Choosing between black and white iDevices is torture. I choose black and never look back. NEVER - its too much pain!

So no more colors! It just leads to more pain!

Last edited:

Devlin234

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Well I personally think multiple colors kinda makes it feel cheap. Like black or white is more sophisticated then blue or green. I'm not saying that's why there's only black and white iPhones. That's just how I feel about it.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's all about money. Apple doesn't feel that the extra costs associated with building and maintaining inventory of multiple colors would generate enough sales to justify it.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I am fine with my black one, for the sake of change I'd get a white one the next generation but black will not display dirt as good as a white would ( Atleast, I think )
It's either black or white, if a blue or green one was available I would be able to consider another color.

false, it smudges about the same.. if anything black shows smudges more.

as for me, i don't mind if they release the colors. apple has always been a traditionalist. whatever works works... notice how it took them a while to get the white iphone?

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
because they'd have to manufacture more items and colours and they can probably see from the ipod lineup that people don't really care about colours too much. IMO, black and white is enough. choosing the right colour can be difficult for a mainstream product. look how long it took them to get white released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.