Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j1787

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Shut up!

And a cold welcome to the trolls. Copying Samsung? Where to begin highlighting the inaccuracies with this rant.

How is he trolling and how is he inaccurate?

Samsung and other Android devices have changed the market and that's a fact. Apple must make changes for a number of reasons to keep market share.

I would welcome a 5inch iPhone. I also love the iPad Mini. It may not be for everyone, but it gives you a choice.

When you walk into an apple store do you really want your only choice to be this years model or last years model? Oh and do you want in black or white? Get real, this benefits everyone who loves Apple products.

The days of 1 year cycles and one model choice are over. The iPad 3/4 and mini is prime example. That's technology and that's the market today.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Choice is never a bad thing. I'm fine with a 4" option and a 5" option. Just because "you" don't want a 5" screen or a smaller one doesn't mean millions of other people don't. Please step out of your box/cave/basement and enjoy the choices companies offer.

Sorry to the iSheep but Apple lost a very important part of their "visionary approach" in SJ. They have to do business differently because SJ is gone. Period. Tim Cook is not, and will never be Steve. That doesn't mean they are doomed, it means the era of radical new products may not happen as often or at all without the one man that changed the face of mobile technology.

VladM

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
Lol. So Apple is gonna eat their words on this, just like they did with the iPad Mini.

Just lol.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
However you still havent explained why you beleive that they are following samsung?

Samsung had been the first to release a shovelphone before Apple even introduced the 4" version (remember the 3.5" is ideal for everyone gospel), now when Apple gadgets are "cool" no more among teens and Samsung is the new king of the hill, Apple is planning to release a 5" phone to try to stave off the extinction of their brand and to save its coolness factor which direction and composition now Samsung dictates at their will.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Ew, 5" screen?? If they actually release this, which I doubt they will, I just hope they'll still have the 4" version. Why anyone wants 5" is beyond me, but it's only a personal preference.

+1, never understood why people need such a huge phone... iphone for me personaly is the maximum size of a phone. Anything bigger than that is just "pain in the pocket"

haha i love the term "shovelphone"

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
If true then Steve Jobs has really left the building

This, to me, is a sure sign that Steve Jobs and the legacy he tried to leave behind is now fully gone from Apple.

Apple should not be in a position to try and compete against all competitor form factors and I am pretty sure that Jobs would never have allowed Apple to create 3 form factors for the iPhone.

Last year Apple made a big stink about how they spent significant time evaluating all screen sizes and determined that the reason they chose a taller screen for iPhone 5 (instead of fatter one) was because most content was still easy to access by a thumb while holding the iPhone. They also made a huge stink about how much design work went into the iPad Mini and how their screen size was so much more considerate then other 7" competitor's tablets.

Yes, those statements are in keeping with Apple being an arrogant company, but it was that arrogance that got them to $700 a share stock value for better or for worse.

Well, I guess those kinds of considerations are being thrown out the window if Apple is just going to release a fat iPhone with a 5" screen just to jump into the Galaxy Note market. I almost guess they will release an iStylus with it too. If Apple is feeling so insecure as to feel the need to jump into every screen size their competitors are creating then I think it speaks, again, very poorly of Apple's current leadership under Tim Cook. Reactive, not innovative.

It is very sad to see how in such a short amount of time it took for Steve Jobs' vision for his company to be destroyed. Apple is quickly slipping into becoming a generic company, beholden to investors, caving to consumer demands, and reacting to competition rather then leading the way with innovative new products. Apple is becoming an also-ran company again.

I may not have liked the overt arrogance of Steve Jobs while running Apple, but I admire someone with a solid, unwavering conviction to create a strategy that is measured in decades, not something that changes month to month like with Tim Cook. You can clearly see the evolution of the original iPod released in 2001 to the iPhone and iPad's of today. It is very obvious that whatever projects Steve Jobs was overseeing before he passed have either been terminated or are already released, meaning the best days of Apple are over.

Apple is now pandering to consumers and investors, I am fairly certain that if ghosts did exist Steve would be haunting the halls of Apple and reeking revenge on the people that so quickly turned their back on his philosophies.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Why is it when people copy Apple it's a "natural progression" of tech and when Apple "copies" by making a larger version of something they pretty much created, they deserve "oblivion"?

If Apple wanted to release a larger phone, why did they even make that ad talking about one-handed use? Its not like they would change their minds in a few months after doing usability studies and releasing another size. If they wanted two sizes, they would have kept the 3.5 and then a larger version methinks.

Apple aren't heading towards oblivion, but they are losing their lead and with that profits will drop.

The problem with what Apple may be doing here is that they, and a number of their fans, have spent quite a while explaining how bad a big screen is, and now they they may release a phone with a bigger screen.
Consistency is an issue.

And I can't remember any big company saying that smart phones were stupid and then starting to make them after Apple's success.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Total nonsense. Apple needs and has needed a range of iPhones since the first iPhine came out. This is not a one size fits all world.

The problem here is not the one size fits all sentiment, but with Apple now copying Samsung. If only they had released a 5" iPhone BEFORE Samsung's shovels saw the light of the day , that would be their saving grace.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
And is there a reason that 5" phones can't become Apple's "domain"?

Sure they can, but now it's Samsung who are leading Apple, and not vice versa.

----------

Regardless of what you own (or at least claim to), crying doom and stupidity over a baseless and likely false rumor is the height of trolling. Wait until Apple announces this before you call them morons, that way you don't look like the stupid one

No need to be rude. Were there ever a rumor about Apple which didn't come true?

----------

This, to me <SNIP>

What he said.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
+1, never understood why people need such a huge phone... iphone for me personaly is the maximum size of a phone. Anything bigger than that is just "pain in the pocket"

haha i love the term "shovelphone"

-1 I never understood why people want to squint at a small screen. :eek:

Its kind of silly to argue about someone personal preference. (not directed at you or your comment, just in general)

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
I have had every major iPhone release... I don't really care what they do with hardware at this point. It's always beautiful, always feels great and is the best available when it's released..

I care about the tired OS. I'm really bored with it at this point... I bought an iPhone 5 in the fall and I'm thinking of giving it to my wife and jumping ship after all these years... It sucks because I'm so deep in the apple ecosystem... I have iPads iMacs MacBooks POWERBOOKS Apple TV's iPods and iPhones... but this will most likely be my last...

It's not that iOS isn't great- it is... But I'm bored with it. It looks the same as it always has and I'm ready for a change.....I think..

I highly recommend that you try jailbreaking. I've never jailbroken since my first iPhone 3GS in 2009, but with iOS 6 feeling stale I've jailbroke my iPhone 4 recently and it's like a new lease of life.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
I have had every major iPhone release... I don't really care what they do with hardware at this point. It's always beautiful, always feels great and is the best available when it's released..

I care about the tired OS. I'm really bored with it at this point... I bought an iPhone 5 in the fall and I'm thinking of giving it to my wife and jumping ship after all these years... It sucks because I'm so deep in the apple ecosystem... I have iPads iMacs MacBooks POWERBOOKS Apple TV's iPods and iPhones... but this will most likely be my last...

It's not that iOS isn't great- it is... But I'm bored with it. It looks the same as it always has and I'm ready for a change.....I think..

I highly recommend that you try jailbreaking. I've never jailbroken since my first iPhone 3GS in 2009, but with iOS 6 feeling stale I've jailbroke my iPhone 4 recently and it's like a new lease of life.

A JB for him may not make a difference. If he is bored with iOS. Granted the JB make make a difference in some ways. But its still the same old iOS. The JB is like they say...putting lipstick on a pig

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
My first Mac was a 17 in PoweBook 1Ghz. I loved that thing. After that, my next laptop was the 13in MBP. Great little computer, but too small for me. Moved to a 15in., and again, great, but once the 17 was released, I went back to it. It was just a better fit for me. Then Apple kills it.:mad:

With regards to phone sizes (as well as tablets), Apple is at a crossroads. They need to really look at what people are doing with their devices. A larger screen is easier to see. Period. A small screen with high resolution does not trump a larger screen with the same resolution.

Why is it wrong for Apple to apply the same logic they use for every other device they make (with a screen) to the iphone?

Making a bigger iPhone simply makes sense, as long as they do not remove the choice of a smaller iPhone too. Three phone sizes, three very different type of users, market dominated.

Apple would not be following Android trends, Apple ceded the market to Android by limiting the choices available. They had this, and they blew it. First with the single carrier thing, then with the single tablet size, and now with the (current) single-size iPhone. They've stuck to their guns too long with this mentality, and it's cost them market share they already had. As soon as Android alternatives appeared that provided more choices, Apple's market share started to decline. What happened when Apple finally changed their minds about the single carrier thing? Sales exploded. What happenned when they changed their mind about the single tablet size? Yet ANOTHER record quarter.

Apple is still impossibly successful, mind you, and I believe they always will be. But they are not as successful as they could have been if they just provided more choice in sizes with their cash cows.

This issue is not the same as the netbook market trend. People really are buying the crap out of larger phones. They are choosing them. The market demand is, and always has been, there. From a money standpoint, Apple doesn't need to do anything. They are very well off obviously. But from a business (and consumer) standpoint, they should get in there and play. People want what Apple is refusing to give them. Just freaking do it, Apple!!!

isopepper

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
Nintendo XL Series

Friends with fighter pilot vision and/or tiny fingers are more than content with 'one hand width' phones. A larger screen at higher res would accommodate those of use with older eyes and fatter fingers (legibility and bigger targets).

Make the resolution on a 5" screen the same as on a 4" and I'll buy it. Apple has been my weapon of choice since 1985, but I've been looking at these 'phablets' in my colleagues hands to see if I can find one that will give me what my older eyes need.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Apple has been doomed since the time it started following market trends, not setting them, and even worse, following Samsung. Oblivion is all they deserve.

lol, ridiculous. im assuming your just an average apple user, there is no "winning" or "oblivion", android and ios are both going to stay, people that are saying one side is gonna win have no idea what they're talking about.

thats like saying windows is going to win over the mac OS or the mac computer are going take PCs out of business. lmfao.

ios and android is too different. the operating system for the apple which iOS is much more stable and superior to the android operating system. and you can just tell by their development programs eclipse to xcode.

so no apple is not going to oblivion, and besides tech junkies and android lovers (which there isnt as many as apple groupies) a lot of android users would rather have the iphone but they simply cannot afford it, especially in 2nd and 3rd world countries, but would they rather have an iPhone? yes because its basically jewelry in a sense.

not to also mention that app downloads is almost doubled compared to android. so we came out with iOS apps first and android 2nd and the windows 8 mobile is a last 3rd.

and apple does need to come out with bigger screens, WHY? because all those consumer that want a BIGGER screens, would get the bigger iphone, given that they dont use some capabilities in the android OS that isn't available in iOS.

and why should apple make a cheaper version? (and not just getting the old ones for cheap) to get that market as well. they need to do this to compete at a fair level.

if they dont they'll lose that extra business and these marketing tactics with a bigger screen and/or a cheaper version. how do i know this? because this is what people say and/cant afford the phone service and phone.

android OS is literally a cheapier, crappier, copied version of OS (which is true, as the guy that basically started it was a top apple executive that switched sides to google)

but i do see the need for the iOS to be more flexible like the android OS, but without the expense of performance.

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Would it make sense to have a 5" iPhone with a resolution if 1024x768 ??? Thus enabling it to at least run the near 300 000 iPad apps at launch. Or would would that make no sense in terms of button sizes for the apps, as this is something iAm not too clued up on

wimdows

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
To all the naysayers...

To everyone saying this is the end of Apple if they make a 5-incher: you'll be the first 'benders' in line come launch day.

Phones are so much more than just phones these days. Samsung's success shows that people want bigger displays on their phones.

This has sod all to do with following, but all to do with ever changing and fluid consumer requirements. It just makes complete and utter sense for Apple to do this.

I have a 4S, I don't see the point in upgrading to an iPhone 5 or an iPhone 5S. A 4.8-5 inch iPhone however? I'm there. Regardless of whether I'm still in contract or not.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
-1 I never understood why people want to squint at a small screen. :eek:

Its kind of silly to argue about someone personal preference. (not directed at you or your comment, just in general)

what IS silly is a 5 inch PHONE

watching movies?? imac

reading books?? ipad

making phone calls and messaging, occasional surfing?? iphone

when apple starts making compromises, it will become samsung, and i will be forced to have iphone 5 for the next 5 years

when will people understand that the ONLY reason for this huge screen trend is samsung, etc. inability to compete with apple hardware-wise??

i mean come on, koreans making 5 inch phones?? its like they're making xxl condoms or ceilings 4 meters high like in europe - overkill, they are small people. they arent making it because they like it, but because its the only way for them to compete. they cant afford to release a slower device than an iphone, but they would have no option in 4 inch screen confinement. please, look at the size 'evolution' in galaxy s series.

SPECIALIZATION is the best feat of apple. you cant make a device thats good for everything. choose a few things it can do great.
phones arent designed for watching movies...

im sick of geek asian commuters setting the 'trends'

s3 popularity?
look at it this way, either you buy an iphone, or a 5 inch brick. there's simply no other option if you want to buy high end device. this so-called huge screen trend is ********. people dont want huge screens, they want high-end devices, and if you dont like apple, ****, youre out of luck.

and apple knows that.

and why is everyone talking about apple losing market share? they are gaining it, in us and world-wide

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
IF this happens, fragmentation here we come!

I'm sorry, but fragmentation isn't an issue.

Has anything ever been as fragmented as the IBM PC? And yet it's been so successful.

People are running a number of different Windows OS' on a huge number of different hardware platforms. Different CPUs, different motherboards, different amounts of ram, different graphics cards, different screen sizes, etc.

And yet Apple and OSX, with a limited amount of options never really dented the IBM PC/Windows dominance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.