Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
DON'T EVEN BOTHER READING THIS POST... JUST SKIP DOWN TO THE PICS IN THE POST BELOW

Hi Everyone,

I just received a replacement device for a yellow screen (the yellow screen phone was a replacement for a broken sleep/wake button :( ). I've made two observations about this phone that I would like to get some input on:

1. I noticed that the camera lens (inside) looks a bit "off center". I did a search online and found ONE picture that looks similar to what I'm seeing on this device:

iphone-5-camera-640x469.jpg

It's a *tad* more off-center than in this picture but this is a good representation of what I'm seeing. It's almost as if it's not really off center but the little black surround is a little off. The camera seems to function OK however.

2. It rattles. Now now, hear me out. I'm familiar with the sleep/wake button being loose and having a slight rattle and the camera lens rattle. I'm actually very familiar with the lens rattle cause it was one of the first things I noticed about my first phone (but disregarded as normal after some web searches) however this rattle is present even if I lightly touch all buttons and put pressure on the lens iteslf. It still sounds like a lens rattle or perhaps the vibrator motor has a little more play. It's much more pronounced when it vibrates versus the one I'm sending back. It almost "buzzes".

So I'm asking the iphone enthusiast community if these "observations" are any cause for concern. My first iPhone 5 was perfect in every way and the screen was awesome. The sleep/wake button broke :( The replacement they sent me was NOTICABLY more yellow tinted than my orignal. I read a lot at night while laying in bed and the yellow (more yellow along the top) was distracting so I asked for a different one. These observations are from my 3rd (and last) iPhone. As an aside, this one also has a slight yellow tint to it and isn't a lot better (but still somewhat) than the 2nd one so I'm just going to deal with it.

I'm just concerned with the extensive rattle that is certainly not a loose button, AND the slightly "off" camera.

I would prefer constructive input/opinions but if you think I'm just being overly picky or "OCD", I'm OK with that as input as well. I appreciate getting the opinions of others who are as big of iphone fans as me!

:D

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I just received a replacement device for a yellow screen (the yellow screen phone was a replacement for a broken sleep/wake button :( ). I've made two observations about this phone that I would like to get some input on:

1. I noticed that the camera lens (inside) looks a bit "off center". I did a search online and found ONE picture that looks similar to what I'm seeing on this device:

It's a *tad* more off-center than in this picture but this is a good representation of what I'm seeing. It's almost as if it's not really off center but the little black surround is a little off. The camera seems to function OK however.

2. It rattles. Now now, hear me out. I'm familiar with the sleep/wake button being loose and having a slight rattle and the camera lens rattle. I'm actually very familiar with the lens rattle cause it was one of the first things I noticed about my first phone (but disregarded as normal after some web searches) however this rattle is present even if I lightly touch all buttons and put pressure on the lens iteslf. It still sounds like a lens rattle or perhaps the vibrator motor has a little more play. It's much more pronounced when it vibrates versus the one I'm sending back. It almost "buzzes".

So I'm asking the iphone enthusiast community if these "observations" are any cause for concern. My first iPhone 5 was perfect in every way and the screen was awesome. The sleep/wake button broke :( The replacement they sent me was NOTICABLY more yellow tinted than my orignal. I read a lot at night while laying in bed and the yellow (more yellow along the top) was distracting so I asked for a different one. These observations are from my 3rd (and last) iPhone. As an aside, this one also has a slight yellow tint to it and really, it's not *that* much better than the 2nd one so I'm just going to deal with it.

I'm just concerned with the extensive rattle that is certainly not a loose button, AND the slightly "off" camera.

I would prefer constructive input/opinions but if you think I'm just being overly picky or "OCD", I'm OK with that as input as well. I appreciate getting the opinions of others who are as big of iphone fans as me!

:D

They all rattle to varying degrees, and the lens being slightly off centre won't affect the camera at all.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
They all rattle to varying degrees, and the lens being slightly off centre won't affect the camera at all.

Wow Brian, that was a quick reply! I appreciate your input and thanks for not just flaming and calling me "OCD" (even though that's what my wife basically tells me in a nice way)

:apple:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
i would return it because it would bug the crap outa me... this is when my OCD kicks in about apple products. this is the way i look at it, it's worth the shot if they give you another one. it's not like it's free, you paid premium for it and you should expect nothing less.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
i would return it because it would bug the crap outa me... this is when my OCD kicks in about apple products. this is the way i look at it, it's worth the shot if they give you another one. it's not like it's free, you paid premium for it and you should expect nothing less.

Thanks for the reply!

I agree, paid a premium for it (I have the 64-gig too!). Part of me is really anal about this kinda stuff when I pay so much for it. But to be honest, I don't really want to have the hastle of returning it over and over again for what may not be real issues in the long run which is why I'm asking for opinions on here. I'll do it again if someone offers up their similar experience that became more of an issue down the line.

At this point, I've had $932.63 "on hold" now for nearly two weeks (that's how Apple does advance replacements). I don't think getting a new one from Apple would be a problem, it's just somewhat of a hastle to have that much $$ tied up and to keep backing up, restoring, putting on screen protectors/skins etc.

Again, I'd go through the hastle if deemed worthwhile from experience or majority opinion! :)

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
depends on how ur tolerance level is... if it's cool u get it. i suggest before u go thru the whole process of restoring, screen protector, case etc. make sure ur completely satisfied with the phone that ur keeping it. btw, 64GB ftw

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
OK guys,

After doing some more looking and actually snapping several pics, I've determined that the camera is crooked. Check these out. I just snapped them. Pay specific attention to the backsplash on the counter. I drew a straight line on a piece of paper and taped it to my counter (counter is level).

I lined up phone 1 on the paper, even with the straight line I drew and took this:

photostraight.jpg

I did the exact same with phone 2 (remember, the paper is taped to the counter so it certainly didn't move):

photocrooked.jpg

Which do you think is the phone in question?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Deal with it. It's a phone.

A camera taking crooked pictures is not something he should have to deal with, especially when the camera is regarded so highly as a primary feature of the phone.

Me personally OP, I know you already said you're on the phone with Tech Support, but I would get it changed out. I couldn't stand having my photo's turn out crooked like that.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
Your phone just has the import ricer mode installed... takes crooked photos

ha, that could be!

I should go take some pictures of my Honda Civic.

Deal with it. It's a phone.

It's actually a Phone, a camera, and an iPod with the ability to receive emails, send texts and watch movies on (though not sure why you'd want to). It's a very versitle and expensive device. I'm sure if tomorrow your emails stopped coming through you would NOT "just deal with it".

I have a 2 year old daughter and I like to document her growing up using pictures and video. Rather than buy a point-and-shoot camera to carry around, I bought a phone with an amazing camera capability. For that functionality to not work properly negates a large portion of why I bought the phone to begin with. Your comment is quite ignorant to this fact.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
What did they say?

Well, the CSR told me he was going to plug me thru to a SR tech person but he couldn't cause the system was down or something so they set up for a call back in like 30-45 min. They called me back and but it was just a regular tier 1 support person who put me on hold but did get in touch with a sr. tech.

The Sr. tech worked on mapping out what happened and when since their system wasnt keeping it all linked like it should (?). I'm sending the latest phone back that has a bad camera and keeping the one with the yellow screen for now. Once my $1000 gets taken off of hold, I can call the Sr. tech guy back and he'll arrange for yet another replacement.

I didn't say anthing to him yet cause I had to get back to work but I may be done with the whole deal for now. We're trying to do some renovation to our house and tying up $1000 at a time for advance replacements is impeding progress. I was hoping this would be quick and easy (and by all accounts it should have been).

I'm disappointed because I moved away from Android becuase of the horrible software (at the time it was 2.1 on a Samsung Fascinate -- YIKES!). Apple has it going on in terms of software but these hardware issues are frustrating.

Doing some research online it appears that the screen tint issue could have been adjusted if Apple incorporated a calibration of sorts into the OS. I know I've used built-in calibration on my computer monitors at work before so it doesn't seem like it would be out of the realm of possibility to implement such a thing.

Oh well, for now, I'm tired of mulling it over. I'm going to package the latest, bad camera phone back up and send it back, recoup my $$ that's on hold and discuss with the Sr. tech how to proceed.

Thanks for your interest in my story :)

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Well, the CSR told me he was going to plug me thru to a SR tech person but he couldn't cause the system was down or something so they set up for a call back in like 30-45 min. They called me back and but it was just a regular tier 1 support person who put me on hold but did get in touch with a sr. tech.

The Sr. tech worked on mapping out what happened and when since their system wasnt keeping it all linked like it should (?). I'm sending the latest phone back that has a bad camera and keeping the one with the yellow screen for now. Once my $1000 gets taken off of hold, I can call the Sr. tech guy back and he'll arrange for yet another replacement.

I didn't say anthing to him yet cause I had to get back to work but I may be done with the whole deal for now. We're trying to do some renovation to our house and tying up $1000 at a time for advance replacements is impeding progress. I was hoping this would be quick and easy (and by all accounts it should have been).

I'm disappointed because I moved away from Android becuase of the horrible software (at the time it was 2.1 on a Samsung Fascinate -- YIKES!). Apple has it going on in terms of software but these hardware issues are frustrating.

Doing some research online it appears that the screen tint issue could have been adjusted if Apple incorporated a calibration of sorts into the OS. I know I've used built-in calibration on my computer monitors at work before so it doesn't seem like it would be out of the realm of possibility to implement such a thing.

Oh well, for now, I'm tired of mulling it over. I'm going to package the latest, bad camera phone back up and send it back, recoup my $$ that's on hold and discuss with the Sr. tech how to proceed.

Thanks for your interest in my story :)
Is there an Apple store close to you? Good point about calibration, wonder if Apple blocks apps that could do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.