Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
My new iMac arrived this past Sunday! It's replacing a five year old iMac, so the changes in technology really stand out. I have the 27" with fusion drive. I also got the trackpad and I really like it! A bit of getting use to, but much more control than a mouse. The other thing worth mentioning is I used my Time Machine backup for data migration and that process couldn't have been simpler or gone any smoother. I don't see a single problem with my new iMac, but I'm also not going to put it under a microscope.

At some point I'll purchase some memory and do an upgrade, but after using it this past week I don't feel like there's a hurry. However, I did buy a four pack of Eneloop rechargeable batteries from Amazon.

Just thought I'd put my first week impressions out there as I've seen so many negative postings.

I hope you all love your new iMacs as much as I do!! :D

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
The only thing I've found is that the Magic Trackpad uses a hell of a lot more power than the keyboard. After 3 weeks, trackpad is at 59% versus keyboard at 100%.

MyNameIsDave

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
Blighty
Congrats on a new nice machine.

I'm interested in what you think about the trackpad. I can see that it gives you more control because of gestures etc. How does it feel for more accurate work though?

I'm considering getting a trackpad, but am a bit on the fence at the moment as I've been a mouse user for so long.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The only thing I've found is that the Magic Trackpad uses a hell of a lot more power than the keyboard. After 3 weeks, trackpad is at 59% versus keyboard at 100%.
I use a Mobee Power Bar, which powers the Trackpad via USB.
http://www.mobeetechnology.com/the-power-bar.html

The constant changing and charging of batteries used to drive me silly.

The trackpad as an input device is fantastic -- loads of gestures and excellent control. I wouldn't go back to a mouse. (And I suspect that Apple will phase out the mouse in due course, favouring touch surfaces.)

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL

I'm interested in what you think about the trackpad. I can see that it gives you more control because of gestures etc. How does it feel for more accurate work though?

I'm considering getting a trackpad, but am a bit on the fence at the moment as I've been a mouse user for so long.

I've always been a mouse user myself, so it does take some time to master it. However, I love the swiping to go back on a web page as opposed to hitting the arrow, and expanding web pages as if you were on an iPad. I'm really happy I went with the trackpad. As for battery life, if it goes through batteries fast, that's OK as I have my rechargeable batteries ready to go!!

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Just Do It. . .

The Apple trackpad is an absolute must when using Mountain Lion (and Lion). I had been a big mouse guy, like you, until about a year ago. But the trackpad gives an entirely new way to interact with the Mac. The two finger left-right swipes (next page), the three finger left-right swipes (next space), and the three finger up-down swipes (see all windows) are very powerful and I use them without thinking maybe hundreds of times each day.

I haven't automatically loved everything Apple has done with mice/trackpads in the past: I had tried the Apple mouse with the little dimple in it and stopped using after four or five months due to unreliability. I used the magic mouse with no scroll bar and stopped after four or five months due to inadvertant clicks and difficulty clicking both left and right simultaneously. I won't mention the hocky puck mouse, which I used for maybe a week and gave up on.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I'm still getting use to the trackpad, but I already love it!! I'm also new to having both wireless keyboard and mouse (trackpad), and it's so nice not having the wires crossing my desk!

jtrainor56

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
I received my new iMac on 12/24 and love it. After working on PC's for 25 years I was surprised how quickly I got the hang of it, especially at my age. I ordered my iMac with the trackpad and mouse thinking I would have a hard time with the trackpad and figured I could fall back to the mouse.

I find the magic mouse awkward, and use the trackpad most of the time. I did take the Logitec wireless mouse that I had with my Windows laptop and use that for playing a few games on steam. I find it more accurate than the trackpad. I also use the Logitec with Lightroom when making adjustments to my photos but also use the trackpad.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
My new iMac arrived this past Sunday! It's replacing a five year old iMac, so the changes in technology really stand out. I have the 27" with fusion drive. I also got the trackpad and I really like it! A bit of getting use to, but much more control than a mouse. The other thing worth mentioning is I used my Time Machine backup for data migration and that process couldn't have been simpler or gone any smoother. I don't see a single problem with my new iMac, but I'm also not going to put it under a microscope.

At some point I'll purchase some memory and do an upgrade, but after using it this past week I don't feel like there's a hurry. However, I did buy a four pack of Eneloop rechargeable batteries from Amazon.

Just thought I'd put my first week impressions out there as I've seen so many negative postings.

I hope you all love your new iMacs as much as I do!! :D

Awesome indeed ! with all the negative threads , makes you wonder if Apple should be in buisness ? Then I start to wonder if the forum is all about bashing the iMac. you know what they say , one happy customer tells one or two people, a unhappy customer will tell 10 or more . Happy Customers need to speak up ! I can't wait till Monday to become a Happy Customer !

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
I'm still getting use to the trackpad, but I already love it!! I'm also new to having both wireless keyboard and mouse (trackpad), and it's so nice not having the wires crossing my desk!

Well for what it's worth.....I have gone back to wired input devices. Used the bluetooth stuff [Magic Mouse, keyboard and trackpad) for the last three plus years. Sure the swipe gestures are cool but my machine i7 27" iMac Mountain Lion is a lot more stable and can I say Safari is snappier with the wired stuff;) And yes, I can live with the wires on my desk.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Well for what it's worth.....I have gone back to wired input devices. Used the bluetooth stuff [Magic Mouse, keyboard and trackpad) for the last three plus years. Sure the swipe gestures are cool but my machine i7 27" iMac Mountain Lion is a lot more stable and can I say Safari is snappier with the wired stuff;) And yes, I can live with the wires on my desk.

I am new to the bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but I am not noticing any delays in performance. I'm always a big fan of change (not for change sake). The trackpad is so awesome, and I love the new iMac! I'm also glad I ordered the fusion drive!

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I have gone back to wired input devices... my machine ... is a lot more stable...

How so? I think in the 5 years I've been using the bluetooth keyboard and mouse I've had nary a problem with them. Certainly nothing that would affect the stability of my machine. How does it make your machine a lot more stable?

But the trackpad gives an entirely new way to interact with the Mac. The two finger left-right swipes (next page), the three finger left-right swipes (next space), and the three finger up-down swipes (see all windows) are very powerful and I use them without thinking maybe hundreds of times each day.

But you can do all those or something similar with the magic mouse. I use the next page swipe all the time on my mouse. Not saying the trackpad is bad. I actually want to get one so I can use my 27 from my bed. Now I use my mouse and it's a pain.

The perfect situation would be to have both. Stuff it... I'm going to order the trackpad now!!!

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
How so? I think in the 5 years I've been using the bluetooth keyboard and mouse I've had nary a problem with them. Certainly nothing that would affect the stability of my machine. How does it make your machine a lot more stable?

Well the iMac started to do weird things..flickering etc then finally all I could get was a grey screen. And as you may know this scenario is very panic enducing and anything that does this to me gets the chop!!
After plugging in a wire mouse everything back, better than normal. It was a failing Magic Mouse. So I chucked it and have gone all wired and things just seem to be much better. I have taught myself to use the wired mouse...it's actually very good. I got an extended keyboard as well to plug it into. So I guess it's a case of once bitten a million times shy:)

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Well the iMac started to do weird things..flickering etc then finally all I could get was a grey screen. And as you may know this scenario is very panic enducing and anything that does this to me gets the chop!!
After plugging in a wire mouse everything back, better than normal. It was a failing Magic Mouse. So I chucked it and have gone all wired and things just seem to be much better. I have taught myself to use the wired mouse...it's actually very good. I got an extended keyboard as well to plug it into. So I guess it's a case of once bitten a million times shy:)

Just wondering if you've turned in your iPhone for a land-line..?

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Just wondering if you've turned in your iPhone for a land-line..?

That's funny! I'm actually on the fence about whether to go with a wired keyboard/mouse setup vs.a wireless keyboard/mouse setup.

Although having two less wires on my desktop makes the wireless version setup a much more pleasurable experience for me!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.