Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skwash

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
I think more likely they would use the same PPI as the current iPhone (or the 4/4s for that matter)

The dev's are already accounting for two resolutions for their phone Apps.

3:2 for the previous iPhones
71:40 for the iPhone 5

I could see this going two ways.
4.75in at the iPhone 4s (1296x864) same PPI
4.5in at the iPhone 5 aspect (1280x720) same PPI
4.9in at the iPhone 5 aspect (1400x787) same PPI

I think it's fair to say they will keep the same PPI and the same aspect ratio of a previous iPhone. This would keep life easy for the developers as they wouldn't have to change any code, and Apple would use the same screen technology they are already using.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
What? That's a redundant argument because it makes the same point. Obviously some people bought those bigger phones because they wanted a bigger phone, but to suggest that the size of the phone is the sole reason for their success is just incorrect posturing. All of those things you're listing are possible scenarios but they have no relevance on the point I was making about a logical argument.

Your last point is fine and dandy but the opposite can equally be said judging from the success of the 3.5-4" iPhones. The rest of what you're saying is just hyperbole.

Fair enough.. Whether right or wrong, my getting next iphone will mostly based on whether they get near 5 inch w/ top quality specs or not.

All I am saying is, when all else equals, I will take the iphone.. but not when next iphone stays 4 inch.. Not for me.

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Fair enough.. Whether right or wrong, my getting next iphone will mostly based on whether they get near 5 inch w/ top quality specs or not.

All I am saying is, when all else equals, I will take the iphone.. but not when next iphone stays 4 inch.. Not for me.

I won't either.
Many won't.
I won't be paying more for less.

Shlooky

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
Everyone wants a bigger iPhone but they forget about iOS!
You don't want 8 rows of icons, I would prefer the OS be redesigned to perhaps resemble Mac OS, multiple desktops, etc. A clean UI with widgets, and the ability to have a nice clean background without icons.

It's time iOS gets a refresh.

greenrabbit

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Here's what I think the line-up will be at the end of the year:

iphone_2013.jpg

ipad_2013.jpg

http://greenrabbits.blogspot.com

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
I agree with you that 4.5" @ 1280x720 is a likely resolution for a future iPhone. Your third suggestion is all but certain not to appear simply because oddly numbered resolutions are extremely rare. A better choice in my opinion would be 5" @ 1440x810.

I think a switch back to 3:2, even for an "iPhone Plus", is probably as unlikely as the originally suggested switch to a significantly lower pixel density. If they were to go wider than 16:9, I could maybe see 16:10, but even that seems like a long shot.

I think more likely they would use the same PPI as the current iPhone (or the 4/4s for that matter)

The dev's are already accounting for two resolutions for their phone Apps.

3:2 for the previous iPhones
71:40 for the iPhone 5

I could see this going two ways.
4.75in at the iPhone 4s (1296x864) same PPI
4.5in at the iPhone 5 aspect (1280x720) same PPI
4.9in at the iPhone 5 aspect (1400x787) same PPI

I think it's fair to say they will keep the same PPI and the same aspect ratio of a previous iPhone. This would keep life easy for the developers as they wouldn't have to change any code, and Apple would use the same screen technology they are already using.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
4.2" seems like the sweet spot to me. Anything above 4.5" is just too large for a phone imo.

Agreed. I mean we are talking about a PHONE here. I really hate that Android phones are starting to look like tablets. 4" is a good enough screen size for the iPhone. I don't play any games, so I guess if I did, I wouldn't be so opposed to having a bigger screen.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Agreed. I mean we are talking about a PHONE here. I really hate that Android phones are starting to look like tablets. 4" is a good enough screen size for the iPhone. I don't play any games, so I guess if I did, I wouldn't be so opposed to having a bigger screen.

It is also for watching hours and hours of movies! (sarcastic)

I will use my iphone for some you tube, that is a few minutes here or there, the only real time I would use it for a movie is if the power is out and I want something to do.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
It is also for watching hours and hours of movies! (sarcastic)

I will use my iphone for some you tube, that is a few minutes here or there, the only real time I would use it for a movie is if the power is out and I want something to do.

I do watch an ocassional YouTube video on my phone. But in no way does my iPhone hinder me from watching it. I don't think I could watch a movie on my phone. My eyes are bad enough as it is. :D

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I do watch an ocassional YouTube video on my phone. But in no way does my iPhone hinder me from watching it. I don't think I could watch a movie on my phone. My eyes are bad enough as it is. :D

It works well when relaxing at the end of the day for some light viewing. What I am currently trying to do is use my phone as it feels more justified the more I use it, and if I had a tablet I would use it even thought I can use my phone.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
It works well when relaxing at the end of the day for some light viewing. What I am currently trying to do is use my phone as it feels more justified the more I use it, and if I had a tablet I would use it even thought I can use my phone.

Oh I definitely agree. The majority of the time when I'm on the couch relaxing, and I don't want to get my MBP, I just reach for my iPhone and lauch YouTube to watch whatever video piques my interest. It's definitely more of the convenience factor.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Oh helllll no...!

Yes please, to a larger ~5" iPhone.

No thanks to anything less than a 300ppi screen.

I bought a Note 2 because of the large screen, but looking at it beside the iPhone the difference is night and day - quality/resolution goes to the iPhone hands down. Unfortunately the quality is not so good that I wanted to stick with a dinky little screen.

If they made a larger iPhone at less than 300ppi it would still lose on screen/hardware features compared to Android phones.

I really want to use an iPhone again in the future, so I'm hoping that there is a really truly great iPhone in the works... (the original was good at the time, but there is so much competition from Android phones these days...)

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Which would great by giving people options, something Apple tends to have issues with.

When Steve returned to Apple from NeXT the first thing he did was get rid of the options. It was a crazy environment Mac Performas, Mac LC, Powermac Quadra, Powermac CD6300, Powermac 6300CD, PowerMac TV in Black etc etc etc

he kill everything and create a simplicity lineup: PowerMac G3, Powerbook G3, iMac and iBook and a little thingy called iPod

SUCCESS!!!!!

now that he is dead it will be a crowded store as it was before Steve I supposed. Ever been to a Sony Store? it will be worst! just wait!

Last edited by a moderator:

DetroitJake

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
Detroit Michigan
Great Predition

GENIUS.

Makes total sense.

I pray Apple will do this. My eyes are still fine, but not for much longer if I continue to stare at that tiny 4" screen.

A retina 5" would be better, but considering Apple doesn't have scaling built into iOS (which is part of the reason that makes iPhone so clean / stable / fast), it would make total sense to change the ppi and just make a bigger screen with the same pixel count.

Easy to make, no big OS change, app developers aren't pulling their hair out on another pixel count change, and iPhone lovers can immerse themselves in an easier to read iPhone.

Apple please make it!!

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
4.2" seems like the sweet spot to me. Anything above 4.5" is just too large for a phone imo.

I think Apple needs to go at least 4.3 or 4.5 to stay in the game, 4.0 and 3.5 are just too small now in today's market. Years ago we dealt with small little screens, but now people live on their phones and do so much more with their phone then a tablet or PC or laptop.

I sold my iPad and have just a MBP, but use my phone for just about everything, but with the lack of Flash, and such a small screen, I am forced to use my MBP from time to time to view things I just can not see on my phone.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I think 4.5" is a great size. My razer maxx is 4.3" and I wish it was a little bigger. I think 4.5" would be perfect. I also think 5" might be getting a little to big for a phone. One reason I never went with iPhone is the screen is to small for me.

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Buddy, I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. Tell me why are big screens are bad again? And no I don't watch an excessive amount of video on my phone. Thats not an enjoyable experience. BTW your right, Angry Birds is so much more enjoyable with a wider pixel spread :rolleyes:

Just in case I have to spell it out for you... Bigger screen with same amount of pixels = worse picture quality.

As for your TV reference, its not translatable to a phone. When you're sitting far away on a couch, you can't tell the difference in screen quality between a smaller and bigger screen. But when a phone is a foot away from your face, you can tell the difference between a smaller and larger screen with the same pixel count.

Talk about ignorance...

The Droid DNA has 441 ppi. the iphone 5 is what? yeah talk about ignorance.....bigger screen + more pixels = better :)

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
The Droid DNA has 441 ppi. the iphone 5 is what? yeah talk about ignorance.....bigger screen + more pixels = better :)

What are you blabbering on about? I never said anything about the Droid DNA. I don't even know what you are trying to retort. In case i didn't make myself clear the first time... why would you want a larger screen with the same amount of pixels? The picture quality will suffer. If Apple were to release a bigger phone, I would hope they would improve the resolution or else the picture quality would be subpar to the iPhone 5

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
As a Note 2 owner, I might be tempted to go back to an iPhone if they made a 5 inch version. Every time I have to type or God forbid browse the web on my iPod touch 5th gen, I am just reminded how insanely small and frustrating the iPhone 5 was to use.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Yes I dont know how I cope walking about with this Plasma TV in my pocket. Look how dinky the iPhone 5 looks next to it. :D

I wish the phone on the left was made by Apple. I would buy it. It is sad how Samsung can offer such a diverse set of products, while Apple cannot offer even a relatively basic product differentiation (and no, having a 3.5" and 4" screens doesn't count).

----------

A phone is supposed to be a ultra-portable, pocket sized device, not a tablet which TBH I concede 5" as.

A phone is supposed to be what a customer wants it to be. If there are enough customers, a manufacturer should cater to their needs. Samsung does that; Apple does not. Samsung's gain is Apple's loss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.