Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I replaced Final Cut Express with Final Cut X and it is a huge improvement. I'm running it on a 2009 I7 Imac and it's so much faster and more reliable.

The titles, transitions, enhancements and exporting capabilities are excellent. No more waiting and redoing and waiting. The editing process is going quicker. I'm reading a book called "Final Cut Pro X, Making The Transition" which I would recommend also.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Also go on YouTube and you will find a wealth of information. If i got amy problems that is were i head for.
FCP-X is a wonderful software if you dont have the powerful skill as some other software offer you.:apple:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Glad you enjoy it too. I think a lot of times when people bash on final cut pro x they don't realize that the key to a good video is more about content than anything else, if you have quality content then it doesn't matter as much what program you use to edit as long as the tools are sufficient to achieve the result you want. In addition if you've got poor content then using premiere or avid ain't gonna save it. I'm not talking about high end effects based composting like in smoke but just putting together videos of stuff. For me FCP X has been great though I would strongly recommend beefing it up with third party plugins because that makes a big difference in what you can do with it.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
For me FCP X has been great though I would strongly recommend beefing it up with third party plugins because that makes a big difference in what you can do with it.

Sorry to be threadjacking, but would you mind listing some of your favourite plugins for FCPX? I am sometimes missing something here and there and it is always very helpful to know if there is a better or faster way to do things. :)

Other than that: Yes, FCPX is working fine for me too. Then again, I am just doing this for fun and mostly in a short amount of time, which FCPX really caters to.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Tons of decent plug-ins free ones too :)

Check out Ripple Training for tutorials as well as Lynda dot com.

If you want to go deep, there is Denver Riddles Color Grading Central too.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Sorry to be threadjacking, but would you mind listing some of your favourite plugins for FCPX? I am sometimes missing something here and there and it is always very helpful to know if there is a better or faster way to do things. :)

Other than that: Yes, FCPX is working fine for me too. Then again, I am just doing this for fun and mostly in a short amount of time, which FCPX really caters to.

Pretty much anything at FXFactory, Pixel Film Studios, My FCP Effects, Neat Video Noise Reduction ..

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I got it when it came out, first day. It really was troublesome back then, but I had to use it for a few months.

Then I took a break and didn't use it for quite some time, but kept at least doing the software updates.

When I came back to it a few months ago, it was much MUCH better. Really happy now!

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
The last two updates changed most professionals perspective on it.
Just the R3D workflow alone gave it a push towards the top choice for Digital Film users.
No more round-tripping for some of us (depending on your workflow of course) ;)

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Glad you enjoy it too. I think a lot of times when people bash on final cut pro x they don't realize that the key to a good video is more about content than anything else, if you have quality content then it doesn't matter as much what program you use to edit as long as the tools are sufficient to achieve the result you want. In addition if you've got poor content then using premiere or avid ain't gonna save it. I'm not talking about high end effects based composting like in smoke but just putting together videos of stuff. For me FCP X has been great though I would strongly recommend beefing it up with third party plugins because that makes a big difference in what you can do with it.

Yes, the content is the star. The sure sign of inexperience is excessive title length, wacky transitions and a camera that moves too quickly and too often.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Is there a way to modify the sharing quality? When I post to Vimeo, I get choppy pans, as if the frame rate is too low.

Make sure your project settings have the right frame rate. I wouldn't use share to YouTube or Vimeo options. If you want the BEST quality use these settings.

1. Use File -> Send To Compressor
2. Drag the preset 1080p HD Video Sharing (or 720p, depending on your frame size of source footage)
3. Change the "Video" settings of the preset to "Best" Automatic quality. This will give you the highest bitrate.
4. Change the "Audio" settings from the default 128kbps to either 320kbps AAC constant or average bit rate, or, I use "Best" variable bitrate AAC.
5. Submit.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Make sure your project settings have the right frame rate. I wouldn't use share to YouTube or Vimeo options. If you want the BEST quality use these settings.

1. Use File -> Send To Compressor
2. Drag the preset 1080p HD Video Sharing (or 720p, depending on your frame size of source footage)
3. Change the "Video" settings of the preset to "Best" Automatic quality. This will give you the highest bitrate.
4. Change the "Audio" settings from the default 128kbps to either 320kbps AAC constant or average bit rate, or, I use "Best" variable bitrate AAC.
5. Submit.

Thanks for that. I will buy the optional Compressor. ($50 is ok)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.