Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Ummm... heating up plastic will make it shrink. Unless, you get it hot enough and then it will melt. In which case he will have melted plastic all over his phone.

Correct but if he heats the top edge it'll work

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Is it simply the case or did you have some kind of skin on it? Mom put a bamboo case on her 4 WITH a clear skin on the back and it was a PITA to get off.

Ummm... heating up plastic will make it shrink. Unless, you get it hot enough and then it will melt. In which case he will have melted plastic all over his phone.
No, in this case the 'case' will become more pliable and will most likely be able to be removed..... NOW I don't know what the case is made of (its composition if you will) but surely it wont "melt" before he is able to remove it. Of course I'm talking out of my 4th point of contact so take it with a grain of salt.

mchnc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if the unibody frame bends when removing a case. The weakest point of the frame is the tiny cross section at volume button hole.

Like in the video (@0:41) above, one may have the phone face down and pull from the corners and push from the middle. If done first on the volume button side (video suggests correctly to start from microsim side) there may be enough leverage to cause high stress to the cross section at the lower volume button hole. It could be that the required finger force isn't that high or doesn't seem excessive.

I tried to analyze this load case with an approximate FEA model. As the model doesn't have absolute exact dimensions, it should be regarded only as an estimation (the model is made using the information from the published iPhone 5 external drawing and some photos from internet). Also, what's not exactly known is if the unibody material is heat treated or not.

Pulling from the corners and pushing at the middle with 50N force (= 5 kg = 11 lbs) may result a stress comparable to yield strength of non-tempered 6000 grade aluminum. It's an estimation, but could be in the ballpark.

Red area at volume button hole edge is the highest stressed point at 55 MPa (8 ksi).

With bathroom scale it's easy to try how 5kgs (11lbs) feels on thumbs. Some one dare to try with iPhone 5 (I don't have and no one wants to lend me one, wonder why :D )? I tried with couple of other phones (including 4S) and they could stand it ("tortured" my L800 up to 12kg). What is excessive for a phone, that question of course remains.

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
today i finally removed the case by prying it from the bottom. It turns out the phone wasn't bent at all! it was just the case, which somehow got very crooked. Anyways, I am ditching the case, for I just love the feeling of my naked iPhone 5, not to mention that the case got a lot of crap stuck wedged between my phone and it somehow.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I know why everyone puts your posts in the wasteland, first your talking about working at apple and seeing a blue iPhone 5S, then your talking about not knowing what Siri is, and then not even having an iPhone at all? I am pretty sure you are trolling to get attention. Pleas post more reasonable stuff or you could risk getting banned.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
this thread is another reason why I chose to stay away from using cases to begin with. Thanks OP

JPChicago

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Chicago
I have the same case right now and I take it on and off a lot! Just push it out through the Camera opening. While u do that make sure u don't push exactly on the camera. It's too easy. And idk why people saying it will bent. My phone still looks normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.