Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
You really have no idea what you are talking about, go get an up to date flagship Android phone and then come back with something intelligent.

And I base my opinion on my friends galaxy s3. I've seen her play around with it and it does have a choppier frame rate. I'm guessing this is because not every device is optimized to the android OS (this is on the most recent android OS).

Apple is known for not allowing users to change much, at the same time they don't let carriers put bloat ware on it. Look it up, android devices are loaded up with carrier nonsense.

Apps are better on ios because developers are more inclined to update and release new apps on ios because most apps on ios are paid for. Another known fact is quality of apps are better on ios. He'll, I think google maps is better on ios than on android devices lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
And I base my opinion on my friends galaxy s3. I've seen her play around with it and it does have a choppier frame rate. I'm guessing this is because not every device is optimized to the android OS (this is on the most recent android OS).

Apple is known for not allowing users to change much, at the same time they don't let carriers put bloat ware on it. Look it up, android devices are loaded up with carrier nonsense.

Apps are better on ios because developers are more inclined to update and release new apps on ios because most apps on ios are paid for. Another known fact is quality of apps are better on ios. He'll, I think google maps is better on ios than on android devices lol.

Buddy you are way off base. You're pretty much basing your opinion about an entire OS on hundreds of phones on extremely limited time with a friend's phone. You know I played with an iPhone 5 in the store for a couple of minutes. Should I base an opinion on iOS based on this limited contact?

And do you know how easy it is to get rid of bloatware. I would expect someone like you who is on a tech forum to be technologically competent enough to get rid of some bloatware. Apps are subjective... you can't make an argument based off of that. I personally like the app experience including the play store better on Android than iOS.

Again the frame rate thing doesn't hold much credence. Some complain that the iPhone 5 has frame rate issue http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13862743/unexplained-frame-rate-drops-only-on-the-iphone-5 Is it fair to base all iPhones off this information? No, so you can't base a claim like the S3 has a bad frame rate off of one experience with the phone. My S3 has no problems with frame rate.

To me it looks like you just can't accept that the S3 and Android are a very viable option and for many people the best option so you try to nitpick every little thing that you deem "wrong" with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Glad you have so much experience with which to be make such ridiculous assertions. Won't be giving what you write much weight.

I'm glad my 4S never slowed down though. Oh wait, it did. Always at the worst time, naturally. Granted this is my own, personal, experience. I should have instead watched a friend "play around with" one.

Michael

I need to actually own a s3 to say I notice my friends phone looked choppy? Really?

Just google why is android OS choppy compared to ios and you will see I'm not just blowing smoke. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RVDMOP1pWCQ&desktop_uri=/watch?v=RVDMOP1pWCQ

Btw every galaxy 3 user I've seen has the same issue and that's maybe 4 to 5.

I understand the need to defend your purchase but try to come up with an actual argument.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Stop the bickering and get back on the topic, in that the OP was asking about the S3 or an iPhone 5.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I need to actually own a s3 to say I notice my friends phone looked choppy? Really?

Just google why is android OS choppy compared to ios and you will see I'm not just blowing smoke. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RVDMOP1pWCQ&desktop_uri=/watch?v=RVDMOP1pWCQ

Btw every galaxy 3 user I've seen has the same issue and that's maybe 4 to 5.

I understand the need to defend your purchase but try to come up with an actual argument.

I dont think that's a fair comparison. You know those youtube windows in the page. In android those most probably are actual Flash plugin windows whereas on ios they are just image. So there are multiple windows (webpage itself + plugin windows) being refreshed at the same time compared to just one in IOS.

But for the action that really matters, IOS actually falls short - i.e. ease and speed of scrolling. IOS scrolling is retarded in the sense no matter how fast you flip the screen the screen scrolling just don't move according. See the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1GDLunomY

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I dont think that's a fair comparison. You know those youtube windows in the page. In android those most probably are actual Flash plugin windows whereas on ios they are just image. So there are multiple windows (webpage itself + plugin windows) being refreshed at the same time compared to just one in IOS.

But for the action that really matters, IOS actually falls short - i.e. ease and speed of scrolling. IOS scrolling is retarded in the sense no matter how fast you flip the screen the screen scrolling just don't move according.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1GDLunomY

I notice a frame rate loss. I just can't stand the choppier frame rate.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You really have no idea what you are talking about, go get an up to date flagship Android phone and then come back with something intelligent.

Problem is you can only pick one: Nexus Phone or LTE. The Nexus 4 looks INCREDIBLE, but the data speeds are just unacceptable at this point if you're in an LTE network.

----------

Touchwiz on the Samsung Galaxy SIII is really choppy.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Problem is you can only pick one: Nexus Phone or LTE. The Nexus 4 looks INCREDIBLE, but the data speeds are just unacceptable at this point if you're in an LTE network.

The original question was between a iPhone 5 and SGS3 and that is to what I was replying. I have a SGS3 and a Nexus 4, no LTE for me at the moment but still get good speeds. :)

I do however agree, once LTE is available in my area I'm sure that the Nexus 4 will not be that attractive solution. :)

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The original question was between a iPhone 5 and SGS3 and that is to what I was replying. I have a SGS3 and a Nexus 4, no LTE for me at the moment but still get good speeds. :)

I do however agree, once LTE is available in my area I'm sure that the Nexus 4 will not be that attractive solution. :)

Oh okay. For me, when I think of "Flagship Android" (as someone had posted earlier), I think "Nexus".

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think think although the nexus is a google phone, the s3 is their flagship android phone.

I think that's definitely fair, especially since the Nexus 4 is what it is. I really think Google needs to finish a Cadillac Nexus type phone, but Samsung is just so popular at this point.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Video is a year old on an old android version on a 3 year old android handset. My galaxy nexus doesn't drop frames in the browser

Took a quick video of scrolling on my nexus 7. Sorry about the crappy quality. Was using an old crappy phone and it was out of focus. The camera itself dropped a few frames at some parts but you can see that its not the phone as my hand movement gets choppy as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63CKnCHZDpk

----------

If you get an iPhone now, you can jailbreak it and get some of the customisability you're looking for.

Until the next iOS update and then its another 6-12 months of waiting for a new exploit. Not to mention that without true source code the amount of customization in iOS is limited compared to what is possible in android.

Last edited:

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Buy the S3, or wait for the S4. If you love it, keep it, if not, flip it and get the iPhone.

Everyone should try both.

I tried Android, but I had issues with the phone, and couldnt have a lot of the apps that I was using before, so I went back, but I don't regret giving it a try.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
OP.....without being rude here.....you really shouldn't be asking anyone else a question that you need to personally answer. The answer about which phone to go with is going to vary from person to person, depending on usage patterns, preference of materials, ecosystem, etc. To try and get direction on this from folks here makes about much sense as trying to make a choice on what your favorite food is by asking other people.

Go to the store to try them both out, watch some reviews on Youtube and then make the choice from there. The phrase "to each his own" has never been more relevant.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'll tell you what I tell every person who asks this question....

Go iPhone. :p

But seriously - there are two different philosophies at work here and the real question is which fits your use-case and lifestyle better.

iOS is all about the app experience. The OS and UI are designed to blend into the background - hence why most things are already configured - so the user can experience the apps the App Store has to offer without being bogged down by various settings and performance hiccups. This also cuts down on customization.

Android is all about the OS and UI and how to tweak and make that your own. The apps are really secondary as many things Android does (notification center, widgets) are designed to keep you either out of apps themselves or even off the phone (i.e. quick glance to check a notification light and then switch the screen off). If you are the type of person who spends more time fiddling with settings and performance toggles than actually in the apps, Android is the one for you.

Now, generally speaking you can use both OSes both ways (by jailbreaking an iOS device, or by leaving the settings in Android alone). But clearly each OS has a specific user it caters to.

As far as hardware goes - try to ignore the "well this phone has 13 mp camera and a 2.0ghz quad core". "Specs" really don't do a good job of detailing how effective a smartphone will be for you. Most flagship phones will have processors and enough RAM to do what 99% of the smartphone using public needs/wants to do. That being said, there are some hardware preferences to consider:

-IPS LCD vs. AMOLED: the LCD generally gives a more color accurate picture and offers higher brightness while the AMOLED gives deeper blacks and higher contrast. You should look at phones with both to see which you prefer.
-Build materials: phones like the iPhone and Nexus 4 are made primarily of glass and aluminum while most other Android phones are made of poly-carbonate. All have Gorilla Glass screens, but overall the look and feel of the phone in your hand is what is most important in this area. Again, go to a store and pick the phones up.
-Screen size: Despite what most people will tell you, the iPhone 5 isn't some stretched abnormality....simply a 16:9 ratio (same as the GS3) in a smaller form factor (4"). The Droid Razr M is also the same size. Find out which screen size is preferable for you by holding and using phones with different screen dimensions.

I know this was kind of lengthy, but I hope it helps. Ultimately, like a poster above said, the decision should be yours and based on your own preferences. People who say "that phone sucks" or "this phone is way better" are either comparing an old phone to a new one or are saying so based on THEIR preferences. It can be difficult to wade through the bs....hopefully, whichever you choose, you'll be satisfied. There are so many great offerings out now and on tap for 2013, its a great time to be deciding this!

Happy purchasing! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.