Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
No. Normally, I'm a huge advocate of jailbreaking, but the 4th generation iPod touch is slow enough on iOS 6 without a jailbreak. I imagine it would be so much worse after.

MyNameIsDave

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
Blighty
If there's nothing you specifically need from a Jailbreak, I wouldn't bother.

If you're asking the question, it sounds like theres nothing specific you want?

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
I did it for BiteSMS which I have used on ios5 and really like. Just easier and simpler than the standard SMS app. I also like ncsettings for simple stuff but to be honest... unless you want to change icons and stuff like that, jailbreaking doesn't give you to much over a stock IOS 6 setup. With every release, Apple has taken away some of the need for jailbreaking.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
^
And with every release the jailbreaking community comes up with new and innovative apps/tweaks that are steps ahead of Apple.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'd jailbreak it just for the (free) tweak:
%Hook's Law

Wow, what a fantastic reccomendation! :D It even speeds up the more tedious animations, so everything seems… snappier. (can't believe I just used that word)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Is Safari snappier :D ?

YNtRKXB.gif

…yes.

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
No I definitely wouldn't. I jail broke mine using Evasi0n last week and it pissed me off so much I restored it. Almost no free themes or tweaks in the Cydia store, and the ones that are free are full of bugs and errors. And every time you change something you have to reboot or respring your iPod. And what I also noticed is if you use winterboard which almost required for have a different theme, it slowly grows larger and larger until I only had a few hundred megabytes left of free space. Believe me, considering what it did for me, the pro to con ratio is like 1:10, and I would rather wait until Apple allows those tweaks in future iOS updates.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Definitely. A lot of tweaks are free. Some are paid but it's not that expensive. You can get many tweaks that speed up the old iPod like, iCleaner, and fakeclockup (both free). You can also customize the springboard easily with springtomize although this tweak is $3. All you have to do is jailbreak (2 clicks of a button) and 5 minutes of your time! If you don't like it, just restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.