Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I have an earlier version of the 802.11n Extreme that does not have a guest network feature. Does this firmware add it?

No, but you should consider getting a newer Airport Extreme. It is certain that Apple will add additional features to these devices in the coming months, and your current gear will not be able to handle it.

Three updates:
1. Mac OSX Airport Utility Update
2. iOS Airport Utility Update
3. Firmware updates for Airport Extreme and Express

Get 'em all, boys! Took me about 20 minutes to update the FW in my Airport Extreme and 5 Airport Expresses. FYI, I had to run Airport Utility a couple times before the red badge showed (indicating FW update available) on all my routers. Be patient with it, it all works.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
This update broke my network.

I still have internet on my iMac (through Ethernet) but can't connect to my Wi-Fi network on my MacBook/iPad/iPhone, even though I can see it. Also, my Time Capsule and Airport Express appear as missing in the Airport Utility.
Tried resetting my Time Capsule but it does nothing (it's "stuck" with a green light). Tried unplugging and plugging back in, the Airport Utility recognizes it for a little while, and then it goes missing again.

Have you tried a factory reset? It has helped me in situations like this.

Factory reset:
- unplug from power
- press and hold reset button
- plug into power again while still pressing reset button
- after a few seconds release reset button

Note: you have to do all settings again after this.

radioactive

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2006
DO NOT UPDATE to 7.6.3

Freakin' brilliant Apple!

After the updates my music played through airplay to an airport express cuts out continuously.

Airplay is now useless.

Replacing a "hosed" updated AE with one without the firmware update eliminates the music cutting out issue.

Thanks Apple for another brilliant FAIL!

Same for me, I have a 2TB latest generation Time Capsule and AirPlay is now dropping out every 2-3 minutes, where before it played flawlessly.

It's not a problem with routing either, the TC is only configured as a bridge for WiFi, I have a separate DSL router and PowerLine (homeplug) network that transports the audio.

I downgraded to 7.6.1 and it's all fixed.

File a bug report here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
DO NOT UPDATE to 7.6.3

Freakin' brilliant Apple!

After the updates my music played through airplay to an airport express cuts out continuously.

Airplay is now useless.

Replacing a "hosed" updated AE with one without the firmware update eliminates the music cutting out issue.

Thanks Apple for another brilliant FAIL!

LOL....after reading all the problems people had with 7.6.2 I've stayed at 7.6.1....if it ain't broke...

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Safari is a little..

Okay no I won't go there..

Anyway, I didn't notice any performance issues after going to 7.6.3. However the update for Airport Utility did come through the App Store for me.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Did you guys update ALL the software? E.g. the Airport FW, the OSX Airport utility AND the iOS Airport utility? I did and Airplay works flawlessly over a long range.

Maybe restart all your gear?

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Question, I have a guest network enabled on my 4th gen time capsule and I also have an airport extreme (4th gen) plus a airport express. I can now see the option to add a guest network on my extreme, but I want to extend the current guest network from the TC as well as extend my main network. If I enter the same credential on the extreme as the current guest network setup on my TC will the software know to extend the network or will it create a 2nd guest network? This seems to be the way the main network is being extended, but before I went fiddling with it I figured I would check here first and hopefully save myself some time. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!

Or is this even possible?

mdpeterman

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
Like others have mentioned the new update broke my IPv6 tunnel from tunnelbroker.net. Hope there is a fix quick.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
The new iOS app won't accept the same basestation password I use to connect from OSX. Probably doesn't like some of the special characters I use in my password, and I'm not about to use a weaker password just to be able to use a dumbed down app on my iPad or iPhone.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I just cannot comprehend why Apple would "dumb down" Airport Utility the way they have since v. 6. I also keep V. 5 on my new iMac for the options it affords one.

Funny, I once called in AppleCare about an issue with a NAS on my network. This was when the "new" AirPort Utility came out. I still used 5.x, while the dmg will not install, you can drag and drop it from another (older) OS X install and it will run. The tech rep on the phone said she wouldn't use the new one herself, and was glad I had the older version (5.6). I don't know what Apple is thinking since 10.7, but this iOS (and the new AirPort Utility is exactly like the iOS version) of everything OS X is pissing me off.

RoarinRow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
How did you downgrade? I need to do that to fix my IPv6.

Found my answer:

AirPort Utility 6

Open AirPort Utility.
Select the base station you want to downgrade.
Place the mouse cursor over the version number and hold down the Option key to turn it into a pop-up menu. Press and hold the mouse button to open the menu.
From the menu that appears, select a firmware version and click OK. If you select Other, you will be prompted to manually locate the firmware update.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Another *possible* problem w/new firmware?

I just upgraded both my Airport Extreme (latest revision) and Airport Express (latest model too) with this 7.63 firmware and all seemed to be well initially.

A few hours later, my wife tried to kick off a Time Machine backup over the LAN to my FreeNAS box serving as the makeshift Time Machine server (always worked pretty good before), and the backup suddenly halted.

I went downstairs to troubleshoot and realized the Airport Express and the Extreme which I had been running in bridged mode, with the Express extending the wi-fi network were not seeing each other. Both still had green lights on the front, but no network traffic was flowing between them at all.

I rebooted the extreme by unplugging the AC power, and when it came back up, all was well again. But now i'll have to keep an eye on it for a while to see if this was a one-time glitch, or a problem with the firmware.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Updated Airport Extreme base yesterday. Working perfectly after the update. No issues at all.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Wifi

they really need to do some work on the Wifi controls in ML. (not Airport, wifi).

They simply aren't as easy to use as the ones on much cheaper, lower quality PCs. And that is sad.
Plus, I have seen quite a lot of beachballing on my users MBPs. Not from Firefox or Safari, but from the dang Wifi preferences panel.
Compared to the stock windows wifi control panel, or Lenovo's and HP's wifi applets, it's primitive and annoying.
Why does it ask you to type the name in of the network first? (though there is a button to click to go to a list of networks)
Why doesnt it display the TYPE of network (ABGN etc)?
Why does the drop down for choosing networks freeze so often?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.