Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
So I haven't jumped on the iPad bandwagon let. I've got a 13" MBP which I think is portable enough for my needs, and I recently got an iPhone 5 that I can take with me everywhere. What do I need an iPad for?

Don't get me wrong, I want to want one. I always thought the full size iPad was too big, but I took a close look at the iPad mini today and really liked the size, the form factor, and the screen. I couldn't bring myself to buy one though, just because I couldn't figure out what I would use it for.

What do you use your iPad or iPad mini for? What's the advantage to having one if I've already got a MBP and an iPhone? Is there something I'm missing?

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
I've a iPhone 4S, MacBook Air and an iPad 1, phone is on the road use, iPad is at home use, air for work as I actually hate using the air for anything other than what it's for , work and iMovie maybe.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
I can only speak for myself, but I do also have an iPhone 5 and a 13" MBP. Recently got a mini.

First let's be clear. The iPad mini is not a necessity, it won't substitute a computer at all for doing above average stuff.

Then what the iPad mini is? Nothing more than a pure media consumption device.

What does this mean?? The device I use the most is the iPad mini. It is so convienent to carry around, to instantly check what's going on, news, books, magazines, games, wepages, music. It is a truly awesome device for those who like to be roaming around the house always connected, to be watching a game while tweeting.

The easiest way to answer, is that I use my iPad mini for everything but save for a few things.

MBP:
Programming, webpage design, excel, word, homework.

iPhone 5:
Social networking, agenda, quick notes. Only used while on the go.

In the end for me it turned that instead of the iPad mini being a device for a particular purpose, it turned into my everything-for device. Leaving my other devices for very particular tasks, specially my MBP is hardly used now.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Just make your own decision; it's your cash. If you can't make this easy decision then you don't need the iPad

Oh and have a turkey sandwich for lunch.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
What do I need an iPad for?

Don't get me wrong, I want to want one.

These kind of threads make my head hurt. Are you incapable of independent thought OP?
Since you say you don't want or need one. Why do you want to want one?

(I can't believe I'm even asking....)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No offense OP, but if you cannot figure out why you don't want an iPad then don't buy one.

If you have little need or desire for the tablet, then move on and save your money.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Alright, guys. Don't bite my head off.

I'm mostly interested in what other people use their iPads for. Maybe to inspire me with something I haven't given enough thought to, but mostly because I'm curious.

Big Byte

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
I received an iPad mini for Christmas. Aside from using it when I loaf around, I find that it makes an excellent secondary display when connected to my 13" MacBook Pro.

Specifically, I use the Air Display app to display Contacts, Calendar, Reminders and other applications on my iPad. It's nice to have two apps open at once with quick access to both.

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I have an air 11" and the iPhone 5, and when I got my mini I found it extremely useful for lots of stuff by itself and very useful as a tool to use while working on the laptop, for example ill pull up state code and have the mini stand upright while I work on pleadings on the air.

You probably won't need the full size ipad but the mini fits the gap between your phone and 13"

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I have an MBP...

I use my ipad for reading ebooks, magazines (Scientific American), Wall Street Journal, casual gaming, document review on airplanes with limited space...

Also streaming video when laptop is less optimal for where I am sitting, etc.

The laptop is not always the best form for digesting "stuff".

R

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I'm mostly interested in what other people use their iPads for. Maybe to inspire me with something I haven't given enough thought to, but mostly because I'm curious.

Search the forum for "What do you use your ipad for".

If you're curious, buy one and try it out.

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
I have a 2010 iMac, rMBP 13", iPad 3, iPad mini and iPhone 5.

Here is my breakdown...

iMac is at home and used for heavy computing needs and large screen.

MacBook for travel and lounge-work.

iPad 3 with Logitech slimcase keyboard for meetings.

Mini for travel to work.

iPhone (well, it's a phone...).

But in many ways my iPad (3) has become my new laptop, with the mini my tablet... iMac is almost redundant if one has a MacBook with an external monitor...

Anyhow, just my two-cents on how my tech' life is shaping up...

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
borrow from a friend or at least use it within a week.
I am also a cynic when the ipad comes out, but now.. it hardly leaves my side.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

A reasonable request, perhaps best asked right off the bat ;)

You will like it. Trust me. You will like it more than any other laptop or computer. It takes time, and actually, your predicament is typical. It's hard to see the value. It really does look like a gimmick, or gee wiz toy.

not so.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
You're not missing anything. Most people I know who own an iPad say they rarely use it. I regard it as a toy but I recognize it's popularity has a snowball effect.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
You're not missing anything. Most people I know who own an iPad say they rarely use it. I regard it as a toy but I recognize it's popularity has a snowball effect.

Don't listen to this. This person hasn't used one for long. Notice the 'most people I know'.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Don't listen to this. This person hasn't used one for long. Notice the 'most people I know'.

All I'm saying to the OP is, don't feel like you have to buy one just because they are ubiquitous. I have an MBP which is a productivity machine and not simply for content consumption. If the iPad had not been given to me, I would be like you and admit I have little use for it.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
This is more like the sort of feedback I was looking for. I suppose I should have been more straightforward in my initial post and less tongue-in-cheek.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
So I haven't jumped on the iPad bandwagon let. I've got a 13" MBP which I think is portable enough for my needs, and I recently got an iPhone 5 that I can take with me everywhere. What do I need an iPad for?

Don't get me wrong, I want to want one. I always thought the full size iPad was too big, but I took a close look at the iPad mini today and really liked the size, the form factor, and the screen. I couldn't bring myself to buy one though, just because I couldn't figure out what I would use it for.

What do you use your iPad or iPad mini for? What's the advantage to having one if I've already got a MBP and an iPhone? Is there something I'm missing?

Why do you want to want one if you have no need/want? I look at them purely as content consumption and fun devices. I watch TV shows and play games. If that's not for you, fine, I don't see a point in anyone trying to convince you into an iPad.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I have an iPad 1 64GB that I purchased a couple months before iPad 2 came out - I like my iPad...but it is not uncommon not to use it for several days in a row. I prefer my laptop on my lap or my iPhone on the move. I have tried iPad 3, 4, Mini but returned them all. I just cant justify paying $ for them with my use personally (Their worth it to people that need/want them - I AM NOT BASHING iPad) ok back to my post....The only reason I have the iPad 1 is because it cost me $200 new.

If you dont need it - its fine - doesn't mean the iPad isn't useful - just not useful to you.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011

OP, try one. Almost everyone says the same thing but end up forgetting they own a computer until it's time to sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.