Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
If you want to Airplay mirror the content from your iMac unto your iPad. You could use a VNC such as Splashtop or logmein. It isn´t airplay mirroring, but it works similarly and better since you can controll your Mac directly from your iPad.

Now if you want to airplay mirror your iPad content unto your iMac, you can use AirServer.

Last edited:

Fhantompain

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
North Carolina
If you want to Airplay mirror the content from your iMac unto your iPad. You could use a VNC such as Splashtop or logmein. It isn´t airplay mirroring, but it works similarly and better since you can controll your Mac directly from your iPad.

Now if you want to airplay mirror your iPad content unto your iMac, you can use AirServer.

But there will be horrible lag if you use such Remote Desktop solutions. At least from my experience. Hell, even with AirPlay mirroring from iPad to speakers, I usually have 1-2 second lag. I don't think such over the air programs are ready for prime time yet.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
But there will be horrible lag if you use such Remote Desktop solutions. At least from my experience. Hell, even with AirPlay mirroring from iPad to speakers, I usually have 1-2 second lag. I don't think such over the air programs are ready for prime time yet.

That used to be my experience as well. However with the newest splashtop, I am actually able to use an external computer quite comfortably. Heck I can even play games on it. Before when I used logmein(2 years ago), playing games on it was like viewing a slideshow.

TRAV9614

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
You need to enable home sharing on your computer and then go to the videos app on your ipad and select shared at the top.

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom

With Airserver I don't find the lag too bad. It's obviously not silky smooth but with a good network it's perfectly fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.