Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
I kinda like the red watch in the picture. Just remember: there are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't. And for those who don't, it says it's 12:15:26.

Binary is great for computers and digital electronics. As far as humans are concerned base 10 rules. The fact that america is still using base 12 for measurements and base 8 and 16 for weight and volume is beyond dumb. The rest of the world is using metric and the U.S. is about 50 years behind the times.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
No one wears watches anymore right? Especially not some dorky computer watches? ......Threads main picture is "Pebble" that raised over $10 million on Kick Starter... Say whaaa.. :eek:

springerj

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Portland, OR
Tog.

Wow. So great to hear from Tog again. I loved his insights into the Mac UI back in the beginning. (Wish some of the current Apple folk would go back and read his stuff. I am so tired of trying to hit the damn teeny red button to close a window.)

thatsallfolks

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
lol at the idea that the reason for an iWatch would be to unlock an iPhone. By that logic shouldn't you need something to unlock the the iWatch too? How 'bout an iNecklace. Of course then you'd need something to unlock that as well so I guess iUnderwear??

This guy's clearly a genius :cool:

Last edited:

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
i'm surprised NFC is still so small over in america. there's few eftpos terminals in australia that don't have it by this point. just tapping your card and bam, done is so much easy and simple.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I personally think the iWatch is a fantastic idea and would buy one the second it was released.....Is losing a watch more common than losing your cell phone? Better putting an NFC tag in my watch than in my cell phone IMO.

Everyone says the dont want or don't need one, but how many of these people said the same thing when the iPhone and/or iPad came out?

I also believe there is a future for such devices in general; the possibilities for a watch-sized touchscreen with Bluetooth and Siri are too numerous to even think up right now.

danhag

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
As for the fashion part, put alot of work into making a good eco system for (quality) "case" makers.

benjo765

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
Los Angeles
with word on the street quickly making it clear there's no point in stealing an iWatch

Word on the street? Really??
Is that some horrible misappropriation of youth slang, or just some even more horrible code for black criminals?

What a tool.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
As for the fashion part, put alot of work into making a good eco system for (quality) "case" makers.

I suspect this is the way forward - watches, as can be seen from many of the posts in this thread - are a very personal choice/statement so unless any "smart watch" functionality can be licensed to different watchmakers (and I don't mean the likes of Casio) then I think the appeal would be limited to techno-geeks. Those who choose to wear "fine" or "luxury" watches, for whatever reason, are unlikely to want to ditch them in favour of a $200 chunk of plastic no matter how cool the functionality might be.

Unwired4

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
London
I am all for such developments. I have ordered a Pebble watch and am looking forward to playing with it and setting it up to do what I want.

I like the idea that I can set a reminder on my iPhone to buy milk when I walk past my local supermarket and that reminder will prompt my watch to vibrate and pop a message on screen for me to review. That means I can leave my iPhone in a coat pocket on silent but not miss notifications (that I deem important enough to be displayed on my watch).

I also like the concept that I can display relevant info on my watch depending on what I am doing. One of the best examples that Pebble have shown so far is using the watch to display the distance to the hole in golf. Whilst playing a round, it is useful to be able to gauge the distance to the pin and whilst you can do that with various apps on your iPhone, how much easier to be ale to just glance at your wrist for that info?

Mapping apps info will also be valuable. Imagine having a ski app that can confirm where you are and which run you are following just by pulling down the top of one glove and looking at your watch? A lot safer and easier than pulling your iPhone out of your pocket on the slopes.

If an iWatch offered similar functionality AND looked cool then I would be tempted...

Last edited:

Payroll

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
really dont see the market or need for one of these.....

wish they would focus some more time with the :apple:TV

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Why does Apple have to be dragged kicking and screaming to develop new products all the time. Steve never wanted the iPhone but was convinced by the constant Mac user campaigns to get Apple to make one. He famously once said that he was just as proud of the products he killed as the ones he approved.

Apple have become so cautious over the past years that they are walking away from potentially very lucrative products/markets that their customers clearly want. I hope given time Tim will open up Apple to new ideas and new products.

dougw1025

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
The watch can and should, for most of us, eliminate passcodes altogether on iPhones, and Macs and, if Apple's smart, PCs: As long as my watch is in range, let me in! That, to me, would be the single-most compelling feature a smartwatch could offer: If the watch did nothing but release me from having to enter my passcode/password 10 to 20 times a day, I would buy it.

I all ready unlock my Mac with Tokenlock.
http://www.map-pin.com/tokenlock-home/

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Not exactly. Portable CD players were still selling in droves, and my bro was still using a sony discman when i got my first iPod.

Actually, I remember when the iPod came out - it kinda sat there, not unlike how the Apple TV did for the first year or so it was on the market. The initial ads were embarrassingly corny, and one tech mag even called it the new pocket protector.

Let's not rewrite history. I bought my first portable CD in 1986. That's 1986!, 15 years prior to the iPod. CD players were merely a replacement for the cassette walkman, which was a reinvention of portable audio. But by the mid 90s the concept of portable audio wore stale and thin judging by the # of people one would see in public with a portable CD player vs. when the cassette walkman became a hit.

The clunky nature of the players + the fact you had to carry around CDs made people leave them at home once the novelty wore off. By the late 90s you hardly saw anyone at a fitness club, or on a plane, train, with a portable CD player... places they were once common place. In Europe and Japan Sony's MiniDisk tried to pick up the slack and was marginally popular, but it never took off in the U.S.

The MP3 format popped up in the mid 90s and MP3 players soon followed, but were mostly only adopted by the gadget geek class, not gen public. Their cost:storage ratio and the fact the concept hadn't yet connected with the techno/computer-shy gen public kept the category at a slow growth rate.

Enter Apple's iPod. Yes, it was initially mocked (I remember the forum chatter here the day it was released. Negative (and proved to be wrong) as usual). But 5,000 songs on something the size of deck of cards was exciting and compelling. Sales were steady for a Mac-only device, and when the 2nd gen came out w/ Windows support there were lines on launch day at Apple Stores across the U.S.. Apple's digital music revolution was in full swing.

It wasn't too long before you once again saw people on the street, the gym, planes, etc with a portable audio device... an iPod. Then of course, the iTunes Music Store completed the new concept of portable digital music. That is what is called reinventing a category. It wasn't much longer when every electronic company in the world was trying to copy Apple's model.

To come full circle here... yes, lots of people owned portable CD players in 2001. But not many people actually used them on a daily basis. Same thing can be said for watches today. But Pebble is already showing that the watch concept can be modernized to be relevant again. Apple can refine it even more, just like it did with portable audio because that is its expertise.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I kinda like the red watch in the picture. Just remember: there are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't. And for those who don't, it says it's 12:15:26.

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhh :D

----------

Word on the street? Really??
Is that some horrible misappropriation of youth slang, or just some even more horrible code for black criminals?

What a tool.

It's a politically incorrect term for Byzantine-Latinos, referring to members with mental illnesses of the 1980s Nazi Party in the Netherlands. He's such a toolbag for using that term.

----------

Binary is great for computers and digital electronics. As far as humans are concerned base 10 rules. The fact that america is still using base 12 for measurements and base 8 and 16 for weight and volume is beyond dumb. The rest of the world is using metric and the U.S. is about 50 years behind the times.

Hey, there are a few advantages. What is 1/3 of a meter? That's awkward. But I'd still take the metric system. Actually, the US uses the metric system on food labels because everything is measured in Kcal, which depends on mL and ˚C.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006

In the US there was a big push in the 1970s to going metric, but we didn't for a couple of reasons. The US defense and aerospace industry was and is still using English units, and is No.1 in the world, they aren't going to switch over anytime soon. Secondly, no one wants to pay $3 a liter for gas and $3 a liter for milk. The way economics is, the smaller the unit of measurement, the more they can charge you.

Vorst

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
People still wear watches? I already have a perfectly good time-telling device in my pocket at all times.

Every year 1.2B watches are sold. So if apple can take 1% of the market, it can sell 12M a year. Small market?

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
I wear watches for fashion and exercise...lol you guys...

Endomondo with this watch ? Profiiiit

psionicnversion

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
So someone comes up and created a watch that can link to iOS and android maybe blackberry and WP at some point to, and some old apple guy thinks apple should create an iWatch. Then again i guess you apple guys really do need other people to come up with the ideas to make your products for ya, make em cheap slap a HUGE price tag on it and be useless.

For a watch like that to be even useful it would alot more processing power than you can fit into it, for video calls (integrated camera), watching a video you need at a decent resolution, a proper map display, voice, BT, etc etc NFC is a bad idea in a watch as it would be just as easy to get close to someones wrist if not easier in crowded places to steal information if they wanted to and would be linked to the phone at first anyway.

I know everything needs to start somewhere and evolve but apple is not the company to do it, there to greedy and only focus on giving the ppl what apple want give em and convince em thats all they need. Give a company with some actual vision for leading the tech 10+ years in the future not to what they can scrape together and push out for the next 6 months to 1 year.

Pebble is a good idea from the developers of it. Lets leave it at that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.