Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdoople

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I got my black Sector 5 from Caseswill for Christmas and I have some feedback after about a month.

I've had no issues with reception. It stays the same when the case is on the phone vs when the case is off. I have had no issues with this case and applying/removing causing any scratching, unlike another aluminum bumper I got off of eBay. I also dropped the phone (for the first time) from about 3 ft onto a cement floor and it landed in the top corner. Much to my happiness there is only a small dent in the case and everything else is fine, so it held up pretty well.

Unfortunately I applied the felt back, which went on fine, but when I tried to take it off it was a whole different story. It came off the glass fine but refused to come off of the aluminum. It was pretty much like if you try to peel a sticker off something and halfway through it just rips and leaves all the residue behind, only there was lots of felt in the residue. It took 4 or 5 alcohol pads and lots of elbow grease but I did manage to get it off without any damage, but it is worth noting.

Overall I'm really happy with the case, but it just makes me want the real one. :mad:

Dexy

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Anyone have a SlickWraps glow skin on the side of iphone with Sector5? Is it compatible with sector5?

pokenguyen

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
I got my black Sector 5 from Caseswill for Christmas and I have some feedback after about a month.

I've had no issues with reception. It stays the same when the case is on the phone vs when the case is off. I have had no issues with this case and applying/removing causing any scratching, unlike another aluminum bumper I got off of eBay. I also dropped the phone (for the first time) from about 3 ft onto a cement floor and it landed in the top corner. Much to my happiness there is only a small dent in the case and everything else is fine, so it held up pretty well.

Unfortunately I applied the felt back, which went on fine, but when I tried to take it off it was a whole different story. It came off the glass fine but refused to come off of the aluminum. It was pretty much like if you try to peel a sticker off something and halfway through it just rips and leaves all the residue behind, only there was lots of felt in the residue. It took 4 or 5 alcohol pads and lots of elbow grease but I did manage to get it off without any damage, but it is worth noting.

Overall I'm really happy with the case, but it just makes me want the real one. :mad:

How about the edges? Mine are sharp enough to make me uncomfortable while grabbing. I'm finding a way to make it less sharp.

bdoople

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
How about the edges? Mine are sharp enough to make me uncomfortable while grabbing. I'm finding a way to make it less sharp.

It's pretty much fine aside from the bottom. The rest of the phone is a little sharper than I'm sure the real one is but the bottom edge is a little sharper. It doesn't bother or harm me, personally, but I can tell it doesn't follow the same machining process the real ones do.

thelarster

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
What link did you order these from?

Here its my Element Sector 5 rep the latest version in gunmetal with Spigen GLASTR screen shield plus the Aluminium home button.

Free shipping in the US. $29.99

Element Sector 5 - gunmetal
Element Sector 5 - Silver
Element Sector 5 - Black
Element Sector 5 - Black Ops

----------------------------------------
Free Shipping in the US $17.99

Draco 5 Aluminium Case for Iphone 5 - Silver
Draco 5 Aluminium Case for Iphone 5 - Red
Draco 5 Aluminium Case for Iphone 5 - Purple

jcoa332

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
I'm thinking about buying one of these and was hoping to get a little help. I'm a case newb, only case I've ever had for any phone is the Otterbox Commuter I bought for my iPhone 5 that is so terrible I only used it for 2 days. I hope you case experts don't mind answering my questions below.

1. Most importantly, will the fake Element or even the real Element cases scuff/scratch/knick the edges of the phone at all if I don't install the rash guards?

2. What is the best site to order the fakes from and how long does it take to get them (I'm in the north east US).

3. If I got a black sector 5 is it possible to order the black screws from element and would the genuine screws fit the fake case? I like the black with black screws.

Thanks for your help!

stanlehh

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Here its my Element Sector 5 rep the latest version in gunmetal with Spigen GLASTR screen shield plus the Aluminium home button.

Free shipping in the US. $29.99

Element Sector 5 - gunmetal
Element Sector 5 - Silver
Element Sector 5 - Black
Element Sector 5 - Black Ops

----------------------------------------
Free Shipping in the US $17.99

Draco 5 Aluminium Case for Iphone 5 - Silver
Draco 5 Aluminium Case for Iphone 5 - Red
Draco 5 Aluminium Case for Iphone 5 - Purple

Hi there,

May i ask does your phone move about when fitted in the case? Thanks.

Stan

pokenguyen

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
thelarster

I don't have a link, you can purchase it and paypal me at mymbmobile@gmail.com

Thanks!
Steve

----------

coa332

Asnwer 1: I didn't install the rash guards on my iPhone, once you install the case and is lock in place.
it's pretty tight fit and no movement. therefore no scatchs or scuff!

Answer 2: You can order the latest version Sector 5 rep directly thou me. I have the black, gunmetal, silver and the Black Ops in stock. I accept paypal and you will receive it within 3-4 days

Answer 3: Our Black Sector 5 comes with black screws

----------

stanlehh

I didn't install the rash guards on my iPhone, once you install the case and is lock in place.
it's pretty tight fit and no movement.

Steve
Macfreak28

How is the edge? Is it treated to be smoother? Do you have a store in aliexpress?

pokenguyen

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
Are the edges on the real ones smoother and not "sharp"?

I don't know if the real is sharp or smooth, but many reviews say that it's very comfortable, while my sharp case is not. I end up using a nail file to wear off the edges and the plastic insert in the back, then use a paint spray to cover white metal exposed:D. Now it's much easier to hold, at least won't scratch my hands as before. Besides, I use paint spray to make my screws black too.

vodavoda

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Sector 5 Original vs Replica

I've received the replica Element Black Ops. I own an original FE so here's my comparison:

Finishing: The replica does not have the flux finish but is still smooth. There are still some rough bits which you can see/feel.

Fit: The original has a small gap on left side due to the internal padding. On the replica, the gap is at the bottom. And because of this there is some freeplay whereas the original is tight.

n0side

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Finally got mine in. It was a ***** to close

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 333

n0side

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Feedback?

So far the only problems I had are trying to close the damn thing and a scratch from the screwdriver slipping. Haven't noticed any signal lost with wifi or lte. The phone fits nice and tight with no gaps that I can see. Not feeling the sharp edges other have posted about.

n0side

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
http://m.caseswill.com/item_detail/4652-NEW+Sector+5+Aluminium+Bumper+Frame+Case+For+iPhone+5+-+Silver

andyjslin

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
Canberra, Australia
Sorry for reviving this thread. I've looked at so many aluminium bumpers and the main consensus is that radio signals will be affected, with some more than others. I've decided to go for the Sector 5 replica hoping that the plastic kinks would avoid those issues.

So my question now is, where do i get i from. From this thread there is Aliexpress, Casewill and DX-box. I've looked at these sites but I don't know which one is better. Could I please get some assistance.

Kahluaman

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
No data on which is best. I wish I knew the answer to that one myself.

Anyway, for those that ordered from caseswill, did it come with the rash guard? If so, is it color matched to the case/phone? Also, does it come with the zipper case? Can't seem to find any reliable info on these things.

omNomNom

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
I have an original black and a fake black (second edition) here. If you compare them side-by-side or know the original you can really easily point out the fake: anodised original is "satin smooth" matte while the fake appears to be painted over. it is shinier. not as dull, but simply shiny. You can pretty much compare it to those painted over aluminium key-rings. Just like that.

That being said:
- the fit of the fake is great
- the backplate feels hm, ok, but not as great as the original
- the fake edges are sharper, they are more intense, if you know what I mean
- the paint seems to scratch rather easy (1 in 3 days), while the original showed not a single mark after 2 weeks of use.
- The fake pocket is a tiny bit too small and also noticeable cheaper
- As the fake's size is modelled after the Sector5 FE it is smaller!

It is still a great case and if you like the style, I'd say go for it. Mine works quite alright and is a great case to use and to look at. If you like the satin look - you only get it with the original.

One other thing:
The fake black on the black phone looks ... boring. Adding black screws would be even worse - imho. The orange links on the BlackOps make a lot of sense that way. If you have a black phone, I'd really urge you to consider the gunmetal-gray version. With the black links and screws it looks bad-ass I think. Not too bright, but still "noticable". With the black I always had the feeling that the sector would disappear. It felt a bit quirky/strange. I can post an image 2morrow if anyone cares...

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I have an original black and a fake black (second edition) here. If you compare them side-by-side or know the original you can really easily point out the fake: anodised original is "satin smooth" matte while the fake appears to be painted over. it is shinier. not as dull, but simply shiny. You can pretty much compare it to those painted over aluminium key-rings. Just like that.

That being said:
- the fit of the fake is great
- the backplate feels hm, ok, but not as great as the original
- the fake edges are sharper, they are more intense, if you know what I mean
- the paint seems to scratch rather easy (1 in 3 days), while the original showed not a single mark after 2 weeks of use.
- The fake pocket is a tiny bit too small and also noticeable cheaper
- As the fake's size is modelled after the Sector5 FE it is smaller!

It is still a great case and if you like the style, I'd say go for it. Mine works quite alright and is a great case to use and to look at. If you like the satin look - you only get it with the original.

One other thing:
The fake black on the black phone looks ... boring. Adding black screws would be even worse - imho. The orange links on the BlackOps make a lot of sense that way. If you have a black phone, I'd really urge you to consider the gunmetal-gray version. With the black links and screws it looks bad-ass I think. Not too bright, but still "noticable". With the black I always had the feeling that the sector would disappear. It felt a bit quirky/strange. I can post an image 2morrow if anyone cares...

I would like to see pictures. Thanks for the review.

pokenguyen

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
I have been using the fake Sector 5 BlackOps case for a month and it's very good. The case is too tight with rash guard, so I only cover the phone with foam. The paint looks like it is anodized, and I don't see any wear-off up to now. The edges of the plastic is a bit sharp, so I use a metal band to nail it. The back plate is damn smaller than my phone, and its glue is very bad, so I took it off after some days, ought a carbon backplate and all's well;). Take a look at my combo. Sorry for poor images, I don't know how to use a PnS properly:confused:
dsc01510c.jpg

dsc01481zy.jpg

dsc01483tf.jpg

dsc01487g.jpg

dsc01485fh.jpg

dsc01491a.jpg

dsc01489yl.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.