Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdon401

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Hi, with all the talk about what you can and can't delete, rename or just plain move in Tiger my question is can I get rid of ALL foreign language fonts, I'll never use any of them and I hear they lots of space!
And another thing, why are there TWO font folders...??
Can I move all fonts to ONE folder...?
Thank you
R

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Well, you cannot get rid of all foreign fonts. Some are used by the system (even if you've deleted/not installed the corresponding languages).

But there's many you can get rid of. Easiest is to use Font Book to turn off all those fonts you don't want (you will be warned which cannot be turned off because of the system). Then if your system is running properly for a while and you don't miss any of them you can use Font Book to delete those turned off fonts. (I have a list of 47 that's turned off, from Al Bayan to AppleMyungjo. ;) )

Just don't mess with any of these.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
There can actually be many font folders.

Most fonts are in (startup disk)/Library/Fonts and (startup disk)/System/Library/Fonts. You should not remove those Mac OS X depends on. Lots of fonts come with applications you install, and you may be able to remove ones you don't want, however some applications are pickier than others if they look for particular fonts.

You can also have fonts in (startup disk)/Users/(user name)/Library/Fonts. Such fonts are available only to that particular user. These are fairly unusual but let you have different sets for different users. It's unlikely that removing these will get you in much trouble.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
macdon401 said:
Hi, with all the talk about what you can and can't delete, rename or just plain move in Tiger my question is can I get rid of ALL foreign language fonts, I'll never use any of them and I hear they lots of space!
And another thing, why are there TWO font folders...??
Can I move all fonts to ONE folder...?
Thank you
R
It's actually the language packs for applications and OS X itself that take up a fair amount of room, not the fonts for those languages. I'd recommend looking into how you can remove them. There's a utility that does it... but I forget what it's called.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.