Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
What should I do with old underwear? I hate throwing stuff away. I don't want to make anything out of it either.

Yeah I know it's underwear, but they are obviously clean and everything. So idk is there some sort of charity that takes used, serviceable underwear to give to people somewhere?

*inb4 jokes*

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
No charity will take used undergarments.

Your best bet is to toss them, use them as rags, or wear them until they disintegrate in the wash one day. ;)

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States

no thanks

----------

Agreed. Used underwear is not something to resold or given away.

You say that until you can't afford underwear, and there are people that can't. So if there is a charity, sure I'd like to help. I don't really see how it's any different than wearing a used t-shirt.

Just throw it in the trash.
That's wasting it. I don't throw anything away if I can find another use for it.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
You could probably make paper out of them with a couple of simple tools, but since you said you don't want to make anything,

Yup.

I was thinking about using them as rags, and maybe using them for cleaning and polishing leather shoes, but I'm worried that the color may pose a problem.

Really though, I don't have anything to use a rag for.

What would you need to do to make paper out of them? That sounds interesting. I guess when I said I don't want to make anything I meant I don't want to make any other clothes with them.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I was thinking about using them as rags, and maybe using them for cleaning and polishing leather shoes, but I'm worried that the color may pose a problem.

What would you need to do to make paper out of them? That sounds interesting. I guess when I said I don't want to make anything I meant I don't want to make any other clothes with them.

Do you not have clothing recycling centres over there? We have them in the uk. They weight your old clothes and pay you cash. The fabric gets shipped off reworked and reused.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Cut them up and use em as rags....

Cleaning shoes, furniture, fishtank, etc. etc....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't care how poor and destitute, I would go commando before wearing someone else's used underwear.

My sentiments exactly. Expressed graphically and succinctly.

No charity will take used undergarments.

Your best bet is to toss them, use them as rags, or wear them until they disintegrate in the wash one day. ;)

Exactly.

Agreed. Used underwear is not something to resold or given away. Just throw it in the trash.

Or reuse them - as rags.

Seriously? Nothing at all? No cleaning that requires something that you simply cannot reuse afterwards?

Cut them up and use em as rags....

Cleaning shoes, furniture, fishtank, etc. etc....

Not to mention ovens, perhaps window sills, sinks.........such as all the unmentionables of life which may require the steady application of elbow grease, a cleaning agent and sundry rags......

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Not to mention ovens, perhaps window sills, sinks.........such as all the unmentionables of life which may require the steady application of elbow grease, a cleaning agent and sundry rags......

There's millions of uses. I have a pile of old t shirts and underwear in the garage that I use for various things.

Cleaning the car's wheels is another one.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
bleach them and then use them for rags. I do the same thing with socks.

I have "nice" rags for some things but sock and underwear rags get used and then tossed if they can't easily be washed. If i have glue or something like that on my hands I get as much off with a sock/underwear rag and then toss it. I keep a couple in my truck just in case I get grease on my hands or something in the vehicle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.