Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Is there an easy way to compare 2 photos side by side in iPhoto?

In PS Elements on my PC I could select a couple, press F12 (IFRC) and they would come up side by side full screen.

I cannot see any similar function in iPhoto.

Volkan1984

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
I would recommend something like Gemini. You will find it in the Mac App Store as a paid app.. Now on sale IIRC.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
If you are pushing any limits of iPhoto... I would upgrade to Aperture. It leaves iPhoto in the dust... yet fully integrates with everything in OSX.

Aperture does this and so much more. It is a bargain in the MAS. $80 if I remember right... and if you buy iTunes gift cards when they are on sale... Aperture is only $64.

/Jim

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Thanks,

I guess if I need a different program I should consider getting PS Elements for Mac? At least I am already familiar with it to some extent, or is Aperture altogether superior?

Volkan1984

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
If you are pushing any limits of iPhoto... I would upgrade to Aperture. It leaves iPhoto in the dust... yet fully integrates with everything in OSX.

Aperture does this and so much more. It is a bargain in the MAS. $80 if I remember right... and if you buy iTunes gift cards when they are on sale... Aperture is only $64.

/Jim

Does Aperture show duplicates? If so, would you be able to tell me how?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Does Aperture show duplicates? If so, would you be able to tell me how?

Duplicates are handled at import. You can set Aperture 3 (A3) to not import duplicates. Each original is imported exactly once and is stored in exactly one project.

From there... you can have as many versions of that original. However, versions do not take up any space (for all practical purposes).

/Jim

Volkan1984

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Duplicates are handled at import. You can set Aperture 3 (A3) to not import duplicates. Each original is imported exactly once and is stored in exactly one project.

From there... you can have as many versions of that original. However, versions do not take up any space (for all practical purposes).

/Jim

Ah yes. I was asking because I lost all my pictures (wasn't thinking straight).

Then I imported a lot of pictures from different places (Dropbox and an external hard disk) and Aperture did not recognize that most pictures were already in the library. The EXIF data of the pics is gone, causing Aperture to not see dupes..

Hence the question if Aperture can show dupes once in library.

I used the app Gemini for this and this did the trick for me. Anyway thanks for your reply!

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Ah yes. I was asking because I lost all my pictures (wasn't thinking straight).

Then I imported a lot of pictures from different places (Dropbox and an external hard disk) and Aperture did not recognize that most pictures were already in the library. The EXIF data of the pics is gone, causing Aperture to not see dupes..

Hence the question if Aperture can show dupes once in library.

I used the app Gemini for this and this did the trick for me. Anyway thanks for your reply!

From memory... Aperture uses file name, file type, size, and maybe date to determine duplicates. Hence... if you were to import raw, export JPEG, re-import the JPEG... it would in fact come in because the Original RAW and the newly imported JPEG would be different files.

/Jim

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
This works for me(iPhoto09 v 8.1.2). Select the photos(2,3,4 etc), View Menu>Full Screen.

I cant seem to do that in iPhoto '11. I thought it was there... but I use iPhoto so infrequently I just may be missing it. Once I got Aperture... there has been little to no reason to use iPhoto... except to help out friends/family who have questions.

/Jim

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Thanks,

I guess if I need a different program I should consider getting PS Elements for Mac? At least I am already familiar with it to some extent, or is Aperture altogether superior?

Ideally, you would get both Aperture and Ps Elements..... though I know that may more money than you want to spend. However, they do different things.

Aperture is a Digital Asset Manager, that helps you organize and collect your images... and it also does some editing. Edits done in Aperture are 'non-destructive'. Also, you can create many versions of a an image in Aperture with no space penalties.

Ps E is an editing application. It edits by replacing the original with the edited version (by default, though you can do a 'save as' - if you remember). Different versions take up more space. However, the editing capabilities of Ps E are greater than what you can do with Aperture.

Generally speaking, most photographers will do their organizing Aperture and the bulk of their editing. They will then use Aperture to send some images to an editing application, such as Ps E, for some heavy duty editing. The editing program returns the finished image to Aperture which stores it next to the original master image. This is one of the few instances where different versions of an image in Aperture actually do take up extra space.

Hope this helps....

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Ideally, you would get both Aperture and Ps Elements..... though I know that may more money than you want to spend. However, they do different things.

Aperture is a Digital Asset Manager, that helps you organize and collect your images... and it also does some editing. Edits done in Aperture are 'non-destructive'. Also, you can create many versions of a an image in Aperture with no space penalties.

Ps E is an editing application. It edits by replacing the original with the edited version (by default, though you can do a 'save as' - if you remember). Different versions take up more space. However, the editing capabilities of Ps E are greater than what you can do with Aperture.

Generally speaking, most photographers will do their organizing Aperture and the bulk of their editing. They will then use Aperture to send some images to an editing application, such as Ps E, for some heavy duty editing. The editing program returns the finished image to Aperture which stores it next to the original master image. This is one of the few instances where different versions of an image in Aperture actually do take up extra space.

Hope this helps....

A cheaper alternative to PS Elements is Pixelmator. It too is a pixel-level editor. It is on the App Store for $15. I use it instead of PSE when needing to do things that Aperture can't do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.