Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Yes, these are two of the most prominent "universal" bugs - the Apple forums are full of people having these issues. The high power consumption already started with 10.8.0 (I instantly "lost" two hours of battery life the very moment I installed 10.8.0), the spotlight indexing problem started with 10.8.2 and is caused by problems with sandboxing - which, by the way, causes many other problems that you can see in Console.

Seems like most of my sandboxing issues have been fixed with a Safe Boot (reboot while keeping the Shift key down) - try it out yourself. After that, just reboot normally and see if it works.

walfrieda

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
Seems like most of my sandboxing issues have been fixed with a Safe Boot (reboot while keeping the Shift key down) - try it out yourself. After that, just reboot normally and see if it works.

I have gone through that before, and it doesn't fix anything permanently (neither for me nor for the many in Apple's forum). That's why I asked here whether 10.8.3 DOES fix the problem. It looks like no-one knows, though...

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I have gone through that before, and it doesn't fix anything permanently (neither for me nor for the many in Apple's forum). That's why I asked here whether 10.8.3 DOES fix the problem. It looks like no-one knows, though...

Been asking the same thing for ages now...no one has a clue or cares to answer this specific point.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
My main problem is that there is just no alternative that stacks up to Safari on a Mac. When I had a PC, I loved me some Opera, but not so much on the Mac. Now I have to just sit there and suffer random anomalies and page breaks.

No, your main problem is your closed mind. Try Chrome or Firefox. Chrome has been superior to Safari for at least the last 18 months (yes, even on Mac).

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Clunkier? I guess that's why Safari, Firefox and IE have all completely ripped off the uncluttered and simplified Chrome UI then? :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about the UI as much as the slow scrolling and heavy feel of the browser. It's not as snappy. And here, lemme toss the obnoxious eye roll back atcha. :rolleyes:

----------

Agreed. Use chrome daily. No reason for safari

You obviously haven't tried Chrome on Retina machines. It's nowhere near as fast as Safari. But sadly, I'll take the reliable website rendering of Chrome over the snappy-yet-flawed Safari any day.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
And here, lemme toss the obnoxious eye roll back atcha. :rolleyes:
:D

You obviously haven't tried Chrome on Retina machines. It's nowhere near as fast as Safari.

I wasn't aware of this but i'm sure it's just a matter of time before this is corrected.

Have you tried the webkit nightly builds to see if your Safari issue is fixed there?
http://nightly.webkit.org/

Last edited:

RedGeminiPA

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Altoona, PA
No, your main problem is your closed mind. Try Chrome or Firefox. Chrome has been superior to Safari for at least the last 18 months (yes, even on Mac).

Chrome is horribly clunky and slow compared to Safari. Even Firefox feels much snappier. Yes, my Chrome is updated to the latest version.

I still can't let go of Safari. It just feels the best, even if I have to shut it down a few times a day in attempt to keep memory usage under control.

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
is 10.8.3 or 10.9 still coming out today? i want to put windows 8 on my mac!

10.8.3 is coming soon, nobody knows when. 10.9 is not yet announced so definitely not coming out today

ghosthaunt11

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
No, it's coming tomorrow (wednesday) at 1;30PM PST.

Nope, it didn't come yet.

is 10.8.3 or 10.9 still coming out today? i want to put windows 8 on my mac!

Why do you want to use Windows 8? It's as bad as Vista if not worse. Of course, I don't care if you use Windows 8, so go ahead and use it. I just think it's as bad as Vista, which is also what many people think.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Nope, it didn't come yet.

Why do you want to use Windows 8? It's as bad as Vista if not worse. Of course, I don't care if you use Windows 8, so go ahead and use it. I just think it's as bad as Vista, which is also what many people think.

So... you hate Windows 8, I take it?

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
MS has done a pretty consistent 2-release cycle. Every other release sucks, every other release is great. Windows ME = garbage, Windows XP = good, Windows Vista = garbage, Windows 7 = good, Windows 8 = garbage, Windows 9... guess we'll see.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
MS has done a pretty consistent 2-release cycle. Every other release sucks, every other release is great. Windows ME = garbage, Windows XP = good, Windows Vista = garbage, Windows 7 = good, Windows 8 = garbage, Windows 9... guess we'll see.

Windows XP was initially panned as garbage.

What is it with people and revising history?

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Windows XP was initially panned as garbage.

What is it with people and revising history?

Sure, initially it was crap. But it was one of - if not THEE - most successful operating system ever. Not saying I personally like it. You must be reading an old history book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.