Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
What was your first MP3 player?

Mine was the Creative Nomad in 1999. Paid about 400-450 for it, and it had a whopping 64 megabytes. It even had FM radio and a voice recorder, and it came with a dock (the first ever dock apparently). I'm kind of bummed now that I sold it for $10 in a garage sale a few years ago. I didn't even get an iPod until 2005 (1st gen iPod nano).

creative-nomad.jpg

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
Mine was a POS made by, if memory serves, RCA. Powered by one AA battery that lasted maybe three or four days. It was small and sounded OK. One or two gigs. I have no regrets dumping it.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Diamond multimedia pmp300. 32mb of storage, expandable to 64mb.

I believe it was the first portable MP3 player. It couldn't even hold 1 compete cd worth of decent audio in stock memory.

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
An RCA Lyra, bought in 2001 maybe. It held a 32MB compact flash card & cost me about $300 IIRC. Crazy to think about that now.

Attachments

• RCA_Lyra_RD2201.jpg
    RCA_Lyra_RD2201.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 3,317

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
7004768nv.jpg

I held onto my CD player walkman until after college, I had my IPAQ for awhile, but it had low storeage.

So, one day I was buying a gift for my ex GF at a best buy, and saw the Gateway DMP X20, 20 gigs of storage, ability to play OGG, WMA, MP3 and some other format, very good battery life, even by today standards, had a nice chrome finish, I paid 399 for it. Lasted me for almost 5 years before the battery finally crapped out.

It had software that would scan your entire hard drive, for all playable files, and had a small online music store, which I never used.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
A Dell DJ in September 2004. In January I had gone back to school (12th grade) after Christmas break and the person in the desk next to me had gotten one for Christmas. I had never seen an MP3 player before and was fascinated. I thought it was a minidisc player at first. I immediately wanted one. I started researching MP3 players right away and saw the iPod for the first time. I ended up buying the Dell DJ after going to college for its cheaper price. I watched for sales and found a package deal with the higher capacity model and an in line remote included. I remember rocking out to it on campus walking to class and at my on campus job (cleaning flower pots and watering plants in the botany lab- true story). My Dell DJ broke maybe 2 years later and was replaced with the iPod Video when that came out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 796

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
A Dell DJ in September 2004. In January I had gone back to school (12th grade) after Christmas break and the person in the desk next to me had gotten one for Christmas. I had never seen an MP3 player before and was fascinated. I thought it was a minidisc player at first. I immediately wanted one. I started researching MP3 players right away and saw the iPod for the first time. I ended up buying the Dell DJ after going to college for its cheaper price. I watched for sales and found a package deal with the higher capacity model and an in line remote included. I remember rocking out to it on campus walking to class and at my on campus job (cleaning flower pots and watering plants in the botany lab- true story). My Dell DJ broke maybe 2 years later and was replaced with the iPod Video when that came out.

Another for the Dell DJ. My wife bought it for me for my birthday. I was a little annoyed at having to convert iTunes purchases to listen to them on it but it was pretty amazing that I didn't have to lug around a case full of CDs all the time in order to listen to music. Kept it for a few years then got an iPod Video.

csixty4

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Somerville, MA
Creative Labs MuVo2. I took that thing everywhere. It was only 4MB of storage, but that was enough for a couple albums and enough podcasts to get me through my commute in & out of the city.

QWH6Hlu.gif

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I've never owned an iPod... my first MP3 player was a Sansa something-or-other. Then I got an cell phone that played MP3s (my first RAZR, lol) and then a messaging phone (Samsung Impression?) and then an iPhone 3G. :) What's an iPod? Oh wait... I remember that app on my 3G!

First iPod I bought, though, was for my wife - a 1st gen Touch.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Diamond multimedia pmp300. 32mb of storage, expandable to 64mb.

I believe it was the first portable MP3 player. It couldn't even hold 1 compete cd worth of decent audio in stock memory.

First MP3 player ever was the MPMan.

450px-MpMan_mp-f60.jpg

This was my first MP3 Player. One of the first in the US, the RaveMP by Sensory Science later absorbed by SonicBLUE. This one had 16mb I think, I sold it a few months later. Wish I kept it for collectors sake.

attachment.php

I've also owned the HipZip by Iomega when they were trying get people to like their Clik disk format.

Jul05-MP3-Fig4.jpg

Attachments

• ravemp-2100-1t0m-460.jpg
    ravemp-2100-1t0m-460.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 917
Last edited:

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
My first MP3 player was a Rio 500. It came with 64MB and was upgradeable to 128MB.

220px-Rio_500.jpg

It was really not good. It was slow to load via USB 1.1 and only held an hour of music. It was nearly useless.

I got my first iPod a few years later. It was a 3rd gen classic that I still use here and there to this day.

1179_300.jpg

It still rules. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.