Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Well, it depends, because the Samsung GS4 is rumored to be out, or at least announced, around April. So, while the N4 is a great phone with the pure Android experience, there might be better options on the horizon. Keep in mind though, if you are always waiting for the next big thing, all you'll ever be doing is waiting.

I guess my thought on going with the nexus was that I can get it for 350 without having to use my upgrade. There isn't a new Nexus on the immediate horizon (next 5 or 6 months) is there?

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I guess my thought on going with the nexus was that I can get it for 350 without having to use my upgrade. There isn't a new Nexus on the immediate horizon (next 5 or 6 months) is there?

That's exactly why I picked one up. As for a new one, not that I've heard of yet. The N4 is still pretty new if you consider the 2 months it was sold out right after going on sale.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
That's exactly why I picked one up. As for a new one, not that I've heard of yet. The N4 is still pretty new if you consider the 2 months it was sold out right after going on sale.

Cool I decided to order one from the play store. Hoping that the 2-3 weeks until shipping is an overexageration :confused:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Is there any verdict yet on whether the constant buzz/static coming from the nexus 4 earpiece is causing harm and or battery drain?

It's so obnoxious to hear it when you're on a phone call too.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Here's another annoying bug that I hope Google will address...

Sometimes my Nexus 4 is slow to wake. I'll press the wake button, and it'll be a good solid 2-3 seconds before it wakes. It's usually instant.

It happens rarely, but it does happen. What's frustrating is you think you didn't press the button, so you press it again, and when it comes on, that second press turns off the screen.

That's 4.2 fer ya.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012

Sometimes my Nexus 4 is slow to wake. I'll press the wake button, and it'll be a good solid 2-3 seconds before it wakes. It's usually instant.

It happens rarely, but it does happen. What's frustrating is you think you didn't press the button, so you press it again, and when it comes on, that second press turns off the screen.

That's 4.2 fer ya.

When I put mine to sleep sometimes it will wake right away like I double pressed =(

I had to put in for an RMA on my week old Nexus 4 today. I will charge it to full and after about an hour it will sleep, flash the notification LED a few times, and shut off. When I plug the charger in it will boot showing 0% battery.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

That's 4.2 fer ya.

It still happens.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It still happens.

You mean with 4.2.2?

You got/flashed the update?

EDIT: Awwww snap. I'm reading about it now. So it still randomly is slow to wake? ... That's majorly disappointing.

The real thing to keep an eye on though is the battery life. I haven't gotten the update, but do share anything new with the battery you discover in the coming days, please.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
EDIT: Awwww snap. I'm reading about it now. So it still randomly is slow to wake? ... That's majorly disappointing.
Pretty much.

The real thing to keep an eye on though is the battery life. I haven't gotten the update, but do share anything new with the battery you discover in the coming days, please.

lol I've been telling you for more than a week that the battery life will be much improved.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Well, this weekend I stuck the Paranoid Android 3.0 release on my Nexus 4 and boy, is it a joy to use 100% of that screen for browsing.
screenbhb.png

PIE soft buttons & extended desktop + AOSP browser with quick controls enabled is fantastic and having total control to how apps render (tablet mode/DPI/Phone mode) has given another level of use to my N4.

nexus4frf.png
nexus4ara.png

So nice to see more of that screen put to use, especially when gaming.
:D:cool:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Nexus 4 here onscreen buttons went busted (that part of the screen) :( allready ordered the whole part.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The only N4 issue I've experienced has been the battery life - any confirmations of 4.2.2 officially on an N4 - I'm not rooted.

Looking forward to better battery life, although JuiceDefender is working well today with minimal use. Still well over 75% and its been going all day, though I've been at a conference and haven't used it much.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Ordered a Nexus 4 today and it has already shipped with free over night shipping. I should have it tomorrow. I haven't been excited about a phone since the early days of the iPhone.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
The only N4 issue I've experienced has been the battery life - any confirmations of 4.2.2 officially on an N4 - I'm not rooted.

Looking forward to better battery life, although JuiceDefender is working well today with minimal use. Still well over 75% and its been going all day, though I've been at a conference and haven't used it much.

If you're asking if 4.2.2. has been released to the public yet for the N4, the answer is no. That said, you will be quite surprised at the battery life difference.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Well, this weekend I stuck the Paranoid Android 3.0 release on my Nexus 4 and boy, is it a joy to use 100% of that screen for browsing.
screenbhb.png

PIE soft buttons & extended desktop + AOSP browser with quick controls enabled is fantastic and having total control to how apps render (tablet mode/DPI/Phone mode) has given another level of use to my N4.

nexus4frf.png
nexus4ara.png

So nice to see more of that screen put to use, especially when gaming.
:D:cool:

dam thats a huge difference compared to the 3.5 inch screen, the 4 inch screen on the i5 is such a HUGE difference to the 3.5 inch screen honestly... at least to me it makes all the difference in the world

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Ordered a Nexus 4 today and it has already shipped with free over night shipping. I should have it tomorrow. I haven't been excited about a phone since the early days of the iPhone.

Where did you order from? The play store forced me to pay for overnight shipping despite its 2-3week shipping estimate. :(

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Is there any way of assigning the up-volume button to be the camera shutter button when the camera app is on? For example, like on the iPhone? Trying to look at the thing/person you are taking a picture of while trying to figure out where the shutter button is on the screen is incredible annoying.

I would really like to be able to do this without flashing the rom, trying to keep myself from doing that. I like stock Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.