Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rMBP13

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
It would be an excellent strategic acquisition for Apple to takeover Blackberry. The goal is for Apple to create a new iPhone line-up with dedicated physical keyboard or flip (i.e. BB Torch). What do you guys think?

I used to be a BB user before switching over to iPhone 5. The only thing that I miss is the ease of use of the physical keyboard, I could type so fast. But yea, other than that iPhone 5 totally trumps any BBs..

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
It'd go against why the iPhone even exists. Given market share and various other statistics, there's very minimal demand for a physical keyboard, so it's hard to justify an entire separate model for that minority.

A more likely answer to people who simply need a physical keyboard is likely that touch-screen tech that can create textures on the surface of the glass, technology that has been speculated to appear on iDevices for quite some time and is actually somewhat close to commercial use.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
It would be an excellent strategic acquisition for Apple to takeover Blackberry. The goal is for Apple to create a new iPhone line-up with dedicated physical keyboard or flip (i.e. BB Torch). What do you guys think?

I used to be a BB user before switching over to iPhone 5. The only thing that I miss is the ease of use of the physical keyboard, I could type so fast. But yea, other than that iPhone 5 totally trumps any BBs..

Not enough market, quite simply. There IS a reason why BB is where it is.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
The only reason for Apple to buy Blackberry is to show their executives an example of how a company went from number 1 to non existent in less than 5 years. Great learning tool on how to do everything wrong.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States

I went back to a BlackBerry to test this theory a few months ago (and for nostalgic reasons). Just a few "smart"phones I have owned include the Motorola Q (the worst one and very unstable), an old Verizon branded HTC Windows phone (XV6700?), BlackBerry Curve (forgot the model number), Motorola Droid X, then and the last and current the iPhone 4. I would never go back to an Android due to Google's company philosophy and privacy issues, not to mention the phone was too large, buggy, and unreliable. The BlackBerry was rock solid. I did like the physical keyboard at the time, but when I went back to it and used it for a few weeks, I was not nearly as efficient on that device as the iPhone 4. The iPhone also IMO has a much better keyboard than the Android device, although other newer Androids I am sure have improved in that regard.

I hope BlackBerry rebounds, as I thought they made great products. I have never been anti-Microsoft like many, but I have been less than impressed with any of their recent offerings including Windows 8, Exchange 2013, and Windows Phone. I don't see or expect Apple to acquire BlackBerry, but I do hope to see them rebound and add some competition to the smartphone market.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Adapt or die. Keyboards are so 00's.

Apple has been rumored to remove the Home button, the only button on the front of its iDevices. What makest you think they would ever put a whole keyboard on there?

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

If Apple made a landscape keyboard slider phone 3 years ago, they would have had me. If they wanted to make a keyboard phone, they could have done so without having to buy BlackBerry. Look at so many other manufacturers with phones that have physical keyboards. Personally, I think Nokia had the best keyboard phone out there, but that's my personal preference. I don't like the BB keyboard because the keys are too close together.

It'd go against why the iPhone even exists. Given market share and various other statistics, there's very minimal demand for a physical keyboard, so it's hard to justify an entire separate model for that minority.

A more likely answer to people who simply need a physical keyboard is likely that touch-screen tech that can create textures on the surface of the glass, technology that has been speculated to appear on iDevices for quite some time and is actually somewhat close to commercial use.

Tactus is a company that is working on a touch screen that can change shape to give a tactile feel for the user. I hope they are successful. I hate touch screen keyboards with a passion. I have the SGS3 which is my first phone without a physical keyboard. As much as I like it, the lack of a keyboard almost made me ditch it for a Galaxy S Relay. I like to actually be able to watch what I'm typing instead of looking at the keyboard. You can't do that with a touch screen keyboard because you cannot feel around to see what key you are about to press before you press it.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
They could takeover BB for poops and giggles but BB really has nothing to offer Apple so it would be pointless.

Now Google or MS on the other hand would be the best takeover in history. I believe they have enough cash to buy those companies combined.

S

syd430

They could takeover BB for poops and giggles but BB really has nothing to offer Apple so it would be pointless.

- Security infrastructure
- enterprise contracts
- patents

Of course, this probably doesn't justify a take over. But if Apple was ever interested in blackberry (which they probably wouldnt be) it wouldn't be for just a physical keyboard as the OP suggests.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/rim-considers-sale-options-should-apple-buy-blackberry/72803

http://exchangeserverpro.com/microsoft-apple-which-company-should-acquire-rim

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1377935/

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

I think its not that far fetched actually. Although Apple would not likely release an iPhone with a physical keyboard, the gesture based OS that BB developed is in some ways better than iOS. The fact that there is no physical or *software* home button on BB10 is actually quite an Apple-like creation. I'd love to see an iPhone without a home button.

Sometimes I think Blackberry released BB10 not because they expect to come bouncing back--but to encourage more favorable buyout offers.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
- Security infrastructure

BB's infrastructure is based on an outdated security model. it was fine back in the early 2000s when no other "smart"phone (referring to the old heavyweights: PalmOS, Symbian, Windows CE... none of which are relevant today) supported any security features, and your "smart"phone was pretty much an open book to anyone who cared to get information from it.

Now, modern smartphones support the same security platforms that desktops do: IPSec/OpenVPN, TLS, Microsoft EAP, AES-256. And they are more nimble and flexible (and often less expensive) than setting up extra hardware to support Blackberry's outdated BIS offering.

And with Samsung's Android devices getting FIPS certification and iOS pending the same, It's pretty much been proven that you no longer need a Blackberry to be ultrasecure.

Also, consider that this same, "supersecure" infrastructure of Blackberry's has government-poked holes that turn it into swiss cheese.

And, let's not forget the outages. People complain enough when iMessage goes down. Imagine not being able to do ANYTHING? No web, no twitter, no e-mail.

So, Apple doesn't need them for that.

- enterprise contracts

Many of which are already bailing for other platforms, including iOS, and Apple seems to be raking in the billions even on its "worst" quarters while Blackberry is in a fight for its life. So, Apple doesn't need them for that.

- patents

Apple has gotten along much patent litigation from Blackberry. And in fact, Blackberry is still losing lawsuits for various claimed patent infringements. Blackberry would be more a liability than an asset.

So, Apple doesn't need them for that, either.

Buying Blackberry would be a waste of money at this point.

Last edited:

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Some people like the design of the BlackBerry, but as others have mentioned, Apple sought to break the mold. They were tremendously successful with it, as nearly the entire market shifted from physical keyboards to on screen keyboards. Personally, I resisted the change and hated it. But, once I spent some time with it, I loved it.

Like the old Henry Ford quote, "If I had asked my customers what they had wanted, they'd tell me a faster Horse". Sometimes an idea sounds bad but when you actually experience it, it turns out really successful.

Moving to a plastic keyboard just doesn't make sense. Apple has repeatedly broken their own rules, like.. "No 7" tablet", or even "We won't make a cellphone"! But, this doesn't seem like the case here. The tiny plastic keyboard technology has not yet changed. The touch interface of an iPhone is still superior for most users than a physical keyboard.

The iPhone is marketed as a mainstream product. Apple is not likely to invest in niche avenues for that product, they'll focus on what's best for the mainstream.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, being able to text and drive is simply great..

That isn't even legal here, for a number of valid reasons.

The iPhone is marketed as a mainstream product. Apple is not likely to invest in niche avenues for that product, they'll focus on what's best for the mainstream.

If RIM IP related to secure email is a big feature, that could be desirable. I doubt the selling price would make sense just to get that though. Enterprise use can still be considered mainstream.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

If apple wanted physically keyboards, which they absolutely do not, they wouldn't need to buy out BB. Apple are perfectly capable of designing a physical keyboard IF they wanted to.

There's no reason apple needs BB because really BB posses no threat to apple.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
If apple wanted physically keyboards, which they absolutely do not, they wouldn't need to buy out BB. Apple are perfectly capable of designing a physical keyboard IF they wanted to.

There's no reason apple needs BB because really BB posses no threat to apple.

They pretty much HAVE to be little/no threat for the SEC to approve a sale anyway. Things have happened in the past, sure, but for the most part the SEC won't let a company buy another company just to eliminate competition. Microsoft would NEVER be able to buy Apple, or vice versa. A company can't just buy another company and shelve them, they have to demonstrate how that purchase will benefit consumers and not impede competition.

Through the magic of lawyers, things slip through the cracks, but Apple buying, for example Google's Android IP or even buying Google altogether (An example of an actual competitor) would be near impossible.

If RIM IP related to secure email is a big feature, that could be desirable. I doubt the selling price would make sense just to get that though. Enterprise use can still be considered mainstream.

Apple has had issues with enterprise users in the past. Steve Jobs once voiced HIS frustrations saying that Enterprise customers are not the users of the product, the users don't get to pick (And that's generally true, though they certainly have input), and so Apple struggles to find the 'formula' for great user-focused products that are also attractive to enterprise customers. iPhones, however, have been a great enterprise product, and Apple has done some work in the early days of the iPhone to cater that (rushing to add exchange support, etc.).

So, I could see RIM IP for improving the enterprise features of the iPhone. However, I'm not sure if Apple 'needs' it. There are third party applications and, enterprise customers are already buying the iPhone in leaps and bounds. Although I'm an Apple fan, I see this as more of an opportunity for Google. Google may be able to sieze RIM as an opportunity to improve the marketability of Android as an enterprise device. Wheras Apple, I don't think, would gain as many NEW customers as Apple would (as Android would gain most of them from Apple). Kind of a catch 22.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
The problem with an Apple acquisition of RIM is that it's greatest assets are its OS, for which there is absolutely no chance that Apple will abandon iOS, and its patent portfolio, most of which it already shares as joint patents with Microsoft an Apple.

I honestly don't know what's going to happen to RIM. They still have $2.1B in cash on hand, no debts, and a current customer base of 80M users. If anyone could pull through, I suppose it would be them, but I have a feeling that BB10 has come about six months too late for them to pull it off.

rMBP13

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
RIM's market cap is only less than $7-billion, just by offering 50% premium to its current market cap, RIM shareholders will approve the takeover for sure... Apple in the other hand have $137b on hand

macophile101

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Apple and Blackberry Must be Friends

I use both systems and I trust both Apple and Blackberry with my personal information and security. Both companies focus on creating a good customer experience and make money by providing security. By contrast Google makes most of its money by ads. Get the kiddies addicted to the free candy, then lock the cage!

I would like to see Blackberry and Apple in a limited partnership. Developing maps together, optimizing the enterprise security of both systems and sharing patents to help defend themselves against the people that are trying to sell us things and invade our privacy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.