Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will/\

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Hi! Everything was going great when I first got my iMac until two/three weeks back. When I got it my iMac was fine no noises at all. Completely silent. Now al of a sudden my iMac makes a grumbling noise sounds like HDD and also the fans are running constantly now.

I am going to ring up Apple support tomorrow and ask for some advice as haven't had a chance yet and I just thought I would ask around here for some help and advice first.

Thanks,

Will

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hi! Everything was going great when I first got my iMac until two/three weeks back. When I got it my iMac was fine no noises at all. Completely silent. Now al of a sudden my iMac makes a grumbling noise sounds like HDD and also the fans are running constantly now.

I am going to ring up Apple support tomorrow and ask for some advice as haven't had a chance yet and I just thought I would ask around here for some help and advice first.

Thanks,

Will

Reset the SMC 2-3x in a row and see if that helps the fan issue.

Will/\

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
OK so, spoke to Apple and they said to take to store. Any advice before I reserve?

Alterin

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
Did you migrate from another mac? I migrated from an old macbook that had overheating issues. So I installed smcfan on it, and I had those fans turned WAY up. Those settings migrated over and took affect the first time I rebooted(I just wanted to see how fast it could!) Scared the hell out of me til I figured out it took over and changed the settings (And ultimately uninstalled it)

Will/\

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
No I didn't, it's my first mac so slightly annoyed because I have waited six months for the upgraded model only for it to make a noise. Ahh well might take it in for service next weekend.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2012
No I didn't, it's my first mac so slightly annoyed because I have waited six months for the upgraded model only for it to make a noise. Ahh well might take it in for service next weekend.

My hard drive and fan are audible to extent if i don't have music or videos or tv playing. I figured I would just deal since i know the fans are working haha. It does bother my ocd a bit but when you bring it to the apple store i figured they would think I was nuts since you won't be able to hear it in that store. Let me know what they say if you could be so kind.

Will/\

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
My hard drive and fan are audible to extent if i don't have music or videos or tv playing. I figured I would just deal since i know the fans are working haha. It does bother my ocd a bit but when you bring it to the apple store i figured they would think I was nuts since you won't be able to hear it in that store. Let me know what they say if you could be so kind.

Thats exactly what I was thinking and probably what mine sounds like as well.
Just went back to my iMac after being on sleep for 6 hours and fans were running while asleep. Getting to be annoying.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2012
Thats exactly what I was thinking and probably what mine sounds like as well.
Just went back to my iMac after being on sleep for 6 hours and fans were running while asleep. Getting to be annoying.

I find that having my ipad plugged in will wake my macs fans every now and then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.