Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kahanabob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2010
I gifted a friend Apple TV she has a mac desktop. i am try to help her import a movie from a usb stick into the movie section in I tunes, doing this long distance over the phone. when she opens her I tunes and goes to movies her screen is not the same as mine. Mine has a bar on the top that says
Unwatched Movies Genres Home Videos List
This is where you drag the movie from the desk top to , ie Home Movies.
When she clicks on movies in the side bar a page comes up with a box in the center that says rent a movie buy a movie
She does not have the bar at the top as described above. What is she doing wrong?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Had her check that, said the reply "was up to date, latest version"

I would ask her to check "About iTunes" so you can confirm it is Version 11.0.1 which is the most current. Not calling her on it, but it should be showing that bar across the top. There is no way to turn it off under the View Options or under Preferences.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
she should just be able to drag the movie into the library area, even if it's the music section. and iTunes will sort out where it should go.

also, are you sure the file is in an iTunes friendly format?

kahanabob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2010
I would ask her to check "About iTunes" so you can confirm it is Version 11.0.1 which is the most current. Not calling her on it, but it should be showing that bar across the top. There is no way to turn it off under the View Options or under Preferences.

OK, did what you said, she has version 10. had her download version 11.0.1
after that found out her op system was version OSX10.5.8 and she needs OSX10.6.8 to play I tunes 11.0.1. had her download OSX 10.6.8. was going to take over a hour to download that so will pick up the story tomorrow.

will advise when i talk to her tomorrow.

thanks for the help, i am not a mac user so I am in uncharted territory.

----------

she should just be able to drag the movie into the library area, even if it's the music section. and iTunes will sort out where it should go.

also, are you sure the file is in an iTunes friendly format?

The file i want to get into her I tunes is a MP4 video so should be fine...

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Had her check that, said the reply "was up to date, latest version"

Older macs will say this if they fail to meet the system requirements for newer versions of iTunes. My Mom's 2005 iMac only updated to the end of iTunes 9 with the same response. "Latest version" means it is the latest version for her mac, and it won't accept any newer versions.

kahanabob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2010
Older macs will say this if they fail to meet the system requirements for newer versions of iTunes. My Mom's 2005 iMac only updated to the end of iTunes 9 with the same response. "Latest version" means it is the latest version for her mac, and it won't accept any newer versions.

think hers is about 2008 vintage, will it take the OSX10.6.8 download?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
after that found out her op system was version OSX10.5.8 and she needs OSX10.6.8 to play I tunes 11.0.1. had her download OSX 10.6.8. was going to take over a hour to download that so will pick up the story tomorrow.

will advise when i talk to her tomorrow.

thanks for the help, i am not a mac user so I am in uncharted territory.

Hopefully all goes well with download. With iTunes you can also just drop the movie into the library area as previously stated by waw74. You do not need to drop it onto the bar. Keep us updated.

----------

think hers is about 2008 vintage, will it take the OSX10.6.8 download?

Should take it. I have a 2007 iMac that is running 10.8.2.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

You can't update 10.5 to 10.6 via download, it installs from CD. She's probably downloading an update from 10.6 to 10.6.8, which won't run on her OS

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

In the meantime, she CAN import movies into iTunes 10 for use with Apple TV. On your iTunes, open the sidebar (Ctrl-S in Windows iTunes) and it will look similar to hers. She wants to drag it into the Movies area on the sidebar.

kahanabob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2010
You can't update 10.5 to 10.6 via download, it installs from CD. She's probably downloading an update from 10.6 to 10.6.8, which won't run on her OS

In the meantime, she CAN import movies into iTunes 10 for use with Apple TV. On your iTunes, open the sidebar (Ctrl-S in Windows iTunes) and it will look similar to hers. She wants to drag it into the Movies area on the sidebar.

yea found that out....she might take it to a apple store and get it tuned up and get OSX10.6.8 installed. meantime will go with your suggestion for iTunes 10. i mailed her a couple of MP4 movies will be a couple days till she gets them and will try then will update here.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
You should still be able to open iTunes, Go to File -> Add to Library ->Point to the movie file and it will import it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.