Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chineseguy38

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Melbourne
Not interest in Apple stuff anymore

Apple only playing catch up nowadays. After getting all the iPad since the first one, it's time to move away.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
So the iPad screen will remain at 9.7"?

16:9 for a phone and 4:3 for a tablet. Yep, it makes sense, Apple.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I feel like apple needs to do a major upgrade to their OS more than anything else...However I will line up for these...

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
I do hope the upcoming iPad has the smaller borders like the Mini. I got rid of my iPad w/ retina for a Mini for this reason alone. I cannot touch type with my fingers and need to be able to type with my thumbs. I LOVE the Mini.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I feel like apple needs to do a major upgrade to their OS more than anything else...However I will line up for these...

And as long as people line up, there is no dire need for them to make the upgrade. The focus seems to be more on form, and that's what catches the consumers eye.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Where are all the people who claimed it was technically impossible for a thin device to have a Retina display? And there was 'no way' there would be a Retina Mini in 2013?

Of course this was coming. I feel bad for all the iPad 4 buyers who got duped when a much lighter thinner device was in the pipeline.

And I'm really looking forward to all those 'the display isn't that bad' apologists fawning over the Retina Mini when it's released later this year.

They were screaming about how the technology just wasn't possible for many years, and how great the iPad Mini's screen is. A couple big tech reviewers also said the technology was impossible.
Probably changed their screen names.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
iOS has a very boring UI. Seriously, it looks like a stamp album. Another art inspiration from good old days. Like the "Bauhaus look" for Windows 8 UI.

I see many iPhone users collecting so many junk apps like a stamp collecting hobby.

But iOS stamp album design is OK to me as long as I can use iPad to read PDF, read e-books, read newspaper, surf internet, Skype, Google map, shoot photo and video. That's good enough, and that makes iPad not a toy.

BrewCityGirl

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2005
And as long as people line up, there is no dire need for them to make the upgrade. The focus seems to be more on form, and that's what catches the consumers eye.

50_asian_experiences_sheep.jpg

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
If the iPad 5 is going to look like this, an is light, I might have to get rid of the mini. The size of the iPad 5 in the image, and hopefully a bigger iPhone would be a winner for my line of work.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
If iPad 5 is light enough to hold with one hand as easily as the mini currently is then I would opt for that one over the mini...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i think it looks great. the slimmer bezel is much wanted. however, please release in march/april. also, the retina ipad mini i believe would be even better. if it gets the A6X chip, it would be the perfect iPad

anchov13

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2005
Washington
Why not eliminate the entire bezel and work with the thumb technology they have been developing for the mini to recognize they aren't interacting when the user is holding the device. It would be like a new thin bezel television, so good!

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
My iPad 3 still works perfectly. Did yours quit working when the 4 came out? Do you expect it to quit working when the 5 comes out?

My iPhone 4s exploded when the iPhone 5 came out, Apple is being extra aggressive.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Not interesting in the slightest. Where's the killer feature? To those saying it makes the current iPad look ancient. lolol shills. There aren't even any apps that show the power difference between the ipad 3 and ipad 4. ie. What's the point.

Apple built itself to be very independent of processing power and now that's biting them in the butt, the same with the stalwart dedication to the that silly resolution on the iPhone. Literally what is the point of a more powerful processor if there are no apps to take advantage of it? Faster and faster web browsing? We're well past the point of good enough.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Where's the killer feature? To those saying it makes the current iPad look ancient.

So much is about perception of when and how something comes out, I wonder how new the iPad would look if it had no bezel and then went with one because people did not want to touch the screen, or if the cell phones were so huge and the smart phones with smaller screens were new and people were happy they can finally have one not take up so much room.

A mouse would be a amazing device if we had been touching our computer screens this entire time. (Not tablets.)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This again feels like evolution, not revolution.

Split screen/Multitasking - yes, this is venturing into iOS turf. But it is a bit ridiculous that we can't respond to a tweet/iMessage whilst watching a film. But yep, I recognise that is an iOS issue.

Thoughts?

I agree, and while other think Apple should rest on their laurels I think making the iPad even more useful will help Apple keep the lead they have.

This one option I quoted above is what's making me consider other alternatives. The Galaxy Note 2 is one device that really does have the power and functionality of a tablet, and has really made my iPad useless. Now, in looking for an updated tablet, I can either get the same functionality and usability as my Note 2 (i.e. a Note 10.1 . . . . which is one ugly tablet) or I can deal with the many limitations of the iPad.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I have the mini but my thumbs touch the screen all the time. It doesn't really work. But it does make the thing smaller which is good...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.