Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
https://vimeo.com/59278065

I did a time lapse of the effects of the blizzard at Lechmere Station in Cambridge, MA from 10am to 6pm.

This was done using relatively short exposures taken every 30 seconds. Normally i'd try and stick to a 180 degree shutter angle, but to do so in this situation would have blurred the scene because of the sheets of snow.

I used a 5D mkii shooting sraw on a 100mm 2.8L Macro. Iso ranging from 100-3200, F-stop: 11-7.1 . Using a Mac Book Pro (Fall 2011 13inch) I exported the video from Lightroom 3 using custom slideshow preferences.

Feel free to offer constructive criticism (or even just S___ talk since i'm usually hypercritical of everything).

Note: you should download the original MP4 to get the preferred viewing experience.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Look what I woke up to! This is about 20 min away from Boston.

boston-blizzard-2013-3.jpg

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
^ what a nightmare. You spend 2 hours digging out your car, only to have some one steal your space immediately after you leave.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
https://vimeo.com/59278065

I did a time lapse of the effects of the blizzard at Lechmere Station in Cambridge, MA from 10am to 6pm.

This was done using relatively short exposures taken every 30 seconds. Normally i'd try and stick to a 180 degree shutter angle, but to do so in this situation would have blurred the scene because of the sheets of snow.

I used a 5D mkii shooting sraw on a 100mm 2.8L Macro. Iso ranging from 100-3200, F-stop: 11-7.1 . Using a Mac Book Pro (Fall 2011 13inch) I exported the video from Lightroom 3 using custom slideshow preferences.

Feel free to offer constructive criticism (or even just S___ talk since i'm usually hypercritical of everything).

Note: you should download the original MP4 to get the preferred viewing experience.

Good idea. Appreciate the effort. But it stopped when it's getting good.

Improvement ideas: I would have let it continue to run all night and through the morning. Night shots can be better exposed.

No video in Vimeo and you web page is silent.

You need to mouse over what looks like an image on vimeo page to show player GUI. (Sometimes you need to click on it first). Yeah it's confusing.

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Good idea. Appreciate the effort. But it stopped when it's getting good.

Improvement ideas: I would have let it continue to run all night and through the morning. Night shots can be better exposed.

Thank you for your comments. I was hoping Mother Nature would cooperate and that the heart of the storm would arrive a little earlier. But i actually like how it goes dark at the end, since that's what the view looked like.

I couldn't go all night because i didn't have an automatic timer (won't make that mistake again :D). Also, I left out a bunch of shots at the end, because between the darkness and the increased snowfall it was impossible to get anything usable over night.

The real challenge was the distance of the subject, which is about 400 Meters away. Thats a lot of snowfall between me and the subject. It essentially prevented me from using longer exposures as it got darker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.