Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Momo1010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Hey all, I have a Blackberry Torch and it is really slow and it freezes a lot. So, I'm thinking of buying the iPhone 5. I want it to last with me for at least a year and a half and I'll be pretty annoyed if I bought it and then after a month the new one comes out. Should I buy it now or should I wait until the iPhone 5s/6 is out? Thanks. :)

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
The new one won't come out until at least June. The iPhone 5 will be an incredible upgrade on the Torch. Apple release hardware so fast nowadays, it is a waste of time waiting for the next one just to be up to date. Buy when they release a version that you like.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Hey all, I have a Blackberry Torch and it is really slow and it freezes a lot. So, I'm thinking of buying the iPhone 5. I want it to last with me for at least a year and a half and I'll be pretty annoyed if I bought it and then after a month the new one comes out. Should I buy it now or should I wait until the iPhone 5s/6 is out? Thanks. :)

If you get an iPhone 5 now and a new iPhone (5S/6/whatever) comes out 4.81 seconds later, your iPhone 5 will still be good for at least a year and a half.

With that information in mind, I recommend you buy an iPhone 5 now...if you want to.

Momo1010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
If you get an iPhone 5 now and a new iPhone (5S/6/whatever) comes out 4.81 seconds later, your iPhone 5 will still be good for at least a year and a half.

With that information in mind, I recommend you buy an iPhone 5 now...if you want to.

Thanks dude, that helped :)

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I don't think you have to worry about Apple releasing the next generation of the iPhone within the next month. Buy the iPhone 5 now. You won't regret it.

Last edited:

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I'm using a 4 and it's perfectly awesome (99% of the time, lol). :D Get the 5, use it, and love it!

apple111115

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
I think you would be happy with an iPhone 5. As stated above, I think the 5 will be a great upgrade from the Torch. I HIGHLY dought apple will release a newer iPhone(s) anytime soon. :)

Good luck with whatever you do! :)

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Honestly, I would say wait. Yes an iP5 will last you for two years but why not see what upgrades are coming in 4 or so months. Get a cheap replacement off of eBay for now and save that upgrade and cash. You will only kick yourself later for buying today, and this is not a keep waiting for the next one comment since they only put one out a year (unless they put 2 out this year).

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
It depends, are you gonna get upset when the new iPhone (insert random number here) comes out after and you've already purchased an iPhone 5? If not, then I would get an iPhone 5 now. But if you think you're gonna want the lastest and greatest, I would just wait.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I would get it as a new one won't be out next month or so. I was also thinking weather to wait or not as I am using a droid razr that is not working properly but with what the razr will sell for plus the 50.00 from best buy got me to upgrade once they start the promotion today.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Cody21 makes the best point, if you won't regret the iP5 when the next model comes out this summer/fall then go for it. Personally with 4-6 months left to go for me I am waiting. That and my upgrades are still 2 months away so I don't have a choice (and paying retail is not an option).

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Wait. It's February. In 4 months IOS 7 is announced and in 7 months iPhone 5S. Definitely wait. Even if your not waiting for the iPhone, the suspected Samsung Galaxy S IV is expected in march/April.

Poro

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
If you can, you should wait. I bet the new one will have NFC capabilities on it and that should be worth the wait. They'll probably include NFC payments later on. I'm also in the same situation and I'm gonna wait for the new one to come out.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I would just go ahead and get the iPhone 5 with a one-year contract. That way you won't have to wait so long to upgrade.

Don't count on them adding NFC or anything else anytime soon. It seems that apple has it's set ways when it comes to listening to it's own fan-base and what features we would like to see.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
The 5S will be an evolutionary product. Any significant new inclusions will come from the 8th generation iPhone (which I seriously hope they don't call the iPhone 6... the numbers never made sense to me though).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.