Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Had Apple replace my iP5 for dust in the camera and I received yet, another iphone 5 with a very loose rattling sleep wake button that you can hear all the time. And NO its no the freaking camera lens. Holding down the power button does NOT result in a rattle when the device is moved.

Why do they keep making iPhone 5's with loose power buttons?

mchnc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2012
They say: "iPhone 5 is made with a level of precision you’d expect from a finely crafted watch — not a smartphone. Never before has this degree of fit and finish been applied to a phone."

True masterpiece.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
They say: "iPhone 5 is made with a level of precision you’d expect from a finely crafted watch — not a smartphone. Never before has this degree of fit and finish been applied to a phone."

True masterpiece.

LOL!

To the OP, mine is rattling too.

But it doesn't bother me.

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
I have a slight rattle in mine, but it's definitely not the power/sleep button. Mine rattles a little even if I hold the button down. It doesn't bother me though.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Had Apple replace my iP5 for dust in the camera and I received yet, another iphone 5 with a very loose rattling sleep wake button that you can hear all the time. And NO its no the freaking camera lens. Holding down the power button does NOT result in a rattle when the device is moved.

Why do they keep making iPhone 5's with loose power buttons?

My power button isnt rock solid but it doesnt rattle

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
I guess the rush to meet demand has kept the workers from building them to spec. Perhaps the design was far more complicated than they could actually achieve without quality control issues. It can't be cheaper to keep replacing the phones with defective buttons can it?

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
But they've met the demand. Its February, not September! This phone was manufactured in January 2013 and is factory unlocked. The screen is also creaking very badly when slight pressure is applied at the top left.

Very, very poor quality control.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
If a person has to shake their phone to hear a rattle, then their is something wrong with them. Why would anyone do that? Dumbest thing I have heard.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
If a person has to shake their phone to hear a rattle, then their is something wrong with them. Why would anyone do that? Dumbest thing I have heard.

Why WOULDN'T you shake your phone to test for rattles? If anything, you're also checking to make sure there aren't any loose parts internally.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Why WOULDN'T you shake your phone to test for rattles? If anything, you're also checking to make sure there aren't any loose parts internally.

Well the thing that bothers me is that not all iPhone 5's have loose power buttons. Some seem to be more loose than others. If it was a common design then it wouldn't concern me. But my ip5 has so much play in the power button, the entire button is causing a rattle when the phone is barely moved. On my original iP5 when a case was installed, the rattle from the power button couldn't be heard. Not the case with my replacement.

Spidder

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
But they've met the demand.

Very, very poor quality control.

No, Apple satisfied peak demand, but there is always demand ;)

And yes, quality control is horrible.

Well the thing that bothers me is that not all iPhone 5's have loose power buttons. Some seem to be more loose than others.

We can speculate:

A supplier screwed up 10 million buttons and Apple/Foxconn had to make a decision... stop the whole production for a month because of a more or less rattling standby button while waiting for the next shipment of buttons or maintain the production.

How would you decide?

S

syd430

I don't think this is really a big deal (yes, I have it too). I'd rather they improve QC issues with screens (uneven hues) and misaligned front-panels.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
What I don't get is how people accept the high degree of defects present on their iPhones, for a device that retails up to $849 it shouldn't have issues. Poor screen quality, yellow tint issues, loose buttons, scuffs and scratches all over it and being told its normal so accept it.

While I do enjoy my Apple products the level to which people are will to accept excuses and make excuses for Apple is just incredible. If it were any other mfg users would be holding their feet to the fire, outrage in the streets, etc. If it's not acceptable then it's not acceptable.

S

syd430

What I don't get is how people accept the high degree of defects present on their iPhones, for a device that retails up to $849 it shouldn't have issues.

I think there are two main reasons for this.

1) Most people pay nowhere near $849 but closer to $199 (you can argue that the contract itself is part of the cost of the phone, however I disagree as I think most people would still sign up on an equivalent call/data plan even if it was separate).

2) Most people accept that they will probably hold on to the device for only 1-3 years, thus minor defects which don't really impair function are not of utmost importance.

I'm not saying whether people ought to care for their phones more or not, just what I think explains this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.