Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
T-Mobile 3G speed is pretty nice on iP5

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 116

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
3G is very spotty in Buffalo. Will get good speed when I get it, but it can change by moving only slightly or by going into a building. I really wanted to use t-mobile, but for me, the coverage is really bad. I still have hopes for the refarm, but they are not as high as they once were. I have a t-mobile blackberry for work and the coverage is ok. Better than what I was getting with the iPhone, but still not great. And I only live 3 miles from downtown Buffalo in one of the most popular areas of the city.

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
3G here in Tampa Bay area is really spotty. I have 3G coverage around my neighborhood but once I go to work nearby the airport. Everything goes back to EDGE. I wonder if they're done with the refarm or still going to put effort into it. I just need it to be available at work where I spend most of my time smh:(

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Well, if you believe T-Mobile's CEO, they're rolling out iPhones some time in the next 3-4 months. I'd like to think they'd get their network refarmed almost entirely before they'd do that. Might be worth checking again later this quarter.

It would be much easier if apple just produced an iphone with the aws band. Apple makes several different varients with different lte bands. It wouldn't be difficult to have a pentaband hspa+ chip. The galaxy nexus, nexus 4, and s3/note II all have one.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
It would be much easier if apple just produced an iphone with the aws band. Apple makes several different varients with different lte bands. It wouldn't be difficult to have a pentaband hspa+ chip. The galaxy nexus, nexus 4, and s3/note II all have one.

The refarm is not just about the iPhone though. They have to refarm to use 1900mhz so they can use their 1700mhz spectrum for LTE. So either way, a pentaband iPhone is not necessary after this year in the USA. But I do agree, I'm not sure why Apple doesn't put pentaband in the iPhone.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
The refarm is not just about the iPhone though. They have to refarm to use 1900mhz so they can use their 1700mhz spectrum for LTE. So either way, a pentaband iPhone is not necessary after this year in the USA. But I do agree, I'm not sure why Apple doesn't put pentaband in the iPhone.

Because they save 4 cents a unit or something and that's worth more than letting a carrier that didn't pay their dues to Apple have the iPhone before they are officially approved.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Finally seeing some 3G in Charlotte. Went downtown over the weekend and had 3G the entire time. Didn't get to test it on my iPhone 5 but on my 3GS the download speeds were around 3mbps.

I suspect their LTE rollout will follow the same order as their refarm so hopefully LTE is here by Q3 or Q4 and I can consider dumping Verizon.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Does MMS work on the latest iOS version? I know with Straight Talk (AT&T) that the iOS configures the service so that MMS will not work.

Yep you have to go into the settings and manually input the mms settings for Tmobile. It doesn't lock you out of the mms settings like straight talk does.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
T-Mobile is working perfect in South Florida. Most if not all areas are already in 3G. Good signal too.

I get 4-5 bars of signal in my house whereas my AT&T iPhone only gets 1-2 bars.

Everything works perfectly.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Got my Simple Mobile SIM today and cut it down to insert it into my iPhone 5.

I can confirm that T-Mobile 3G 1900MHz Reaffirm is pretty damn good down here in Bronzeville Chicago, IL (60605-60616 Zip Code areas) I am getting 9-11Mbps/down and 5-8Mbps Up!

I have my other line on Straight Talk which only gets 3-4Mbps/Down and 0.5-2Mbps, depending on how this month goes I think I may just ditch Straight Talk and go with GoSmart Mobile's $45 plan which offers 5GB of 3G data.

Last edited:

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I can confidently say t-mobile reaffirm in Chicago is way better than any city. I have seen nothing 3-5 bars and speeds well over 5+Mbps/down! I am definitely ditching straight talk for T-Mobile's new carrier GoSmart mobile next month.

I haven't hit a single spot of "E" (Edge) within a 30Mile radius of 60616 Zip code as I have gone in just about all directions from here in the past few days.

kettlecorn

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
Orange County/South LA county in California, I get anywhere from 2mbps to 5.5mbps and 3g signal most of the time. However it doesnt have good building penetration, inside my house it's very spotty. changes from 3g to edge all the time, have to use wifi. also the galaxy note 2 I have pulls a little bit more speed and a lot more upload speed.

kettlecorn

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
Given that Tmobile's launching LTE thats compatible with the ATT phone, will that also improve signal strength in GENERAL? I want to keep this phone bad but constantly having no service and edge (just as useless, cant even make calls) in my own room is kind of a dealbreaker. I have this and a note II and have to sell one and as much as I want to keep the iphone 5, the note II has full bars, amazing battery life and the HSPA+ speeds are ridiculously high at like 12+ mbps constantly. When I have signal on the i5, i barely get 3-5m.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
So my iPhone 4S is unlocked and I can use my T-Mobile sim in the phone for all functions with no problems. I haven't tested it out yet to see if I can get 3G service in my area yet though I do know I can't get it at my house. This is noting new, I dropped Verizon because I could not get 3G or make calls from my house, AT&T and T-mobile have no problems there.

With the 3G setting on, will that enable me to get 3G if I can get it around my area?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
So my iPhone 4S is unlocked and I can use my T-Mobile sim in the phone for all functions with no problems. I haven't tested it out yet to see if I can get 3G service in my area yet though I do know I can't get it at my house. This is noting new, I dropped Verizon because I could not get 3G or make calls from my house, AT&T and T-mobile have no problems there.

With the 3G setting on, will that enable me to get 3G if I can get it around my area?

Yup, with 3G on you will get 3G if its available in your area.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Yup, with 3G on you will get 3G if its available in your area.

I went out for a drive around my neighborhood to try this out. In my area (Wesminster/Thornton/Fed Heights) in Colorado, it's very spotty service at best. I did get 3G once I toggled the 3G switch off and on. It was very slow as well.

At this point in time, it's just not worth it. I can get faster speeds with my 4S on AT&T and my Nexus 4 on T-Mobile. T-Mobile on my Nexus beats my DSL speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.