Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Looks promising, I hope they don't increase the screen size though. The current size is pretty much perfect.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I agree, I think if they kept the for factor exactly the same but threw in some better specs and a nicer screen that would be great. It's already a steal as it is but if they wanna do that and keep the price point $200 I'm down.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
Looks promising, I hope they don't increase the screen size though. The current size is pretty much perfect.

As long as Google slims it down, I'll be fine with the size. 7 inch is perfect and it's easier to hold one handed than the iPad Mini but Google needs to decrease the bezel and make the next Nexus 7 as thin as the iPad Mini.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
The one big thing I'd like the 2nd-gen Nexus 7 to include is better build quality. I never understood why many people praised its build quality, it felt very poor to me. It felt pretty cheap and mine had screen creaking. A design like the ASUS TF line would be nice.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The one big thing I'd like the 2nd-gen Nexus 7 to include is better build quality. I never understood why many people praised its build quality, it felt very poor to me. It felt pretty cheap and mine had screen creaking. A design like the ASUS TF line would be nice.

Being a total newbie to Android, I've had my N7 for about a month now I guess...I agree to a certain extent about the build quality, but it's not the worst I've ever seen. I bought it only to play around with Android, and being an iPad and all Mac guy, I wouldn't buy another one, but I'm having fun with the little tablet....It's just so portable and light....Turning Developer mode back on gives it a big kick in performance too...Can't understand why they turned it off by default in 4.2, but it's easy enough to get back...Just go into system / about this tablet / scroll down to the build number and keep tapping it ( takes about 7-10 fast taps) until you see the "You are now a developer" message.

Makes Chrome much smoother and faster....As a fun toy at a good price, I find it hard to criticise it really.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Being a total newbie to Android, I've had my N7 for about a month now I guess...I agree to a certain extent about the build quality, but it's not the worst I've ever seen. I bought it only to play around with Android, and being an iPad and all Mac guy, I wouldn't buy another one, but I'm having fun with the little tablet....It's just so portable and light....Turning Developer mode back on gives it a big kick in performance too...Can't understand why they turned it off by default in 4.2, but it's easy enough to get back...Just go into system / about this tablet / scroll down to the build number and keep tapping it ( takes about 7-10 fast taps) until you see the "You are now a developer" message.

Makes Chrome much smoother and faster....As a fun toy at a good price, I find it hard to criticise it really.
There is no "developer mode" to turn on. That simply gives you access to a menu that there's a 99% chance that most people don't need to use (hence why it was hidden). Simply unlocking that menu does not somehow increase the performance of your device, it's just a menu and nothing more. That performance increase is just in your head. Unlocking a hidden menu did not make your device faster.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
I love my nexus 7. Great little device for browsing and reading on the bus. I hope they don't slim it down. Apple choose looks over functionality.. keep it as it is or even boost the battery with any space saved. The materials are perfect. Don't have to worry about scratches etc.

ukbondraider

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
I love my nexus 7. Great little device for browsing and reading on the bus. I hope they don't slim it down. Apple choose looks over functionality.. keep it as it is or even boost the battery with any space saved. The materials are perfect. Don't have to worry about scratches etc.

:eek:

Looks over functionality? There is still not yet an Android tablet that can be passed as usuable in my opinion. Stutter, stutter, frame drop, more stutter and did I mention stutter.

Not to mention the build quality of all Android tablets being akin to those used by toddlers but why is it taking so long for Android tablets to use retina level screens.

The build quality of the Nexus 7 is appalling and am amazed at the frequent positive reviews for this device.

Yes you dont need to worry about scratches but you should worry that people do mistake you for a 5 yr old.

I dislike IOS but in the Tablet space, there is yet NO true competition to the ipad. I hope the Xperia Z tablet can change this because the Nexus 10 couldnt.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
that sounds really good, any news of when approximately it will be released to the market? I feel like buying one now but might hold until the new one will come out...

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

Looks over functionality? There is still not yet an Android tablet that can be passed as usuable in my opinion. Stutter, stutter, frame drop, more stutter and did I mention stutter.

Not to mention the build quality of all Android tablets being akin to those used by toddlers but why is it taking so long for Android tablets to use retina level screens.

The build quality of the Nexus 7 is appalling and am amazed at the frequent positive reviews for this device.

Yes you dont need to worry about scratches but you should worry that people do mistake you for a 5 yr old.

I dislike IOS but in the Tablet space, there is yet NO true competition to the ipad. I hope the Xperia Z tablet can change this because the Nexus 10 couldnt.

Outside of the apparent lack of optimization for Chrome and the high resolution panel the Nexus 10 packs. Where have you noticed lag and this massive amount of stuttering? For the life of me I cannot find it...

Also, are you mixing build quality with build materials? If you prefer metal over textured plastics that that is your prerogative. I personally feel like the rubberized aluminium Motorola used on their early Droid line is the best option. However to claim the latest offerings from Google lack in build quality is just silly. The Nexus 7 had some defects on early models coming off the line but everyone of them I have had the pleasure of using lately have had no flaws whatsoever. The Nexus 10 I own is free of any issues, it is solid and I have yet to notice anything such as creaking or flexing of the screen.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

If they can get that extra .7" without increasing the size of the device, im all for it. Seems to be plenty of room for hat when i look at it. I agree the size of the device right now is perfect.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
If they can get that extra .7" without increasing the size of the device, im all for it. Seems to be plenty of room for hat when i look at it. I agree the size of the device right now is perfect.

That's fine if they make it taller and not wider. I do like having a bit of bezel to rest my hands on.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I disagree.

I feel my iPad 3 is a big iPhone. Which is fine because that's basically what I wanted when I got it.

But the iPad has so much power and battery life but still crippled by the OS. In my opinion anyway.

I use my Xoom/N10 as a media center. Dock it connected to my HDTV and lay on the couch using a Bluetooth keyboard trackpad. I can enjoy the Internet including flash (plenty of sites still using it unfortunately) stream music, game using a game controller including play the millions of emulators, etc etc.

My iPad as much as I like it for my uses it can't stack up against my Android tablets. AirPlay is good but your still hold the tablet because it has no mouse functionality so what's the point? Plus you need to buy an Apple TV.

I'm going to try to JB my iPad one night this week to see if that can help (never JB anything before).

Build quality, I much prefer hold my Xoom, N10 and iPad in that order although the iPad feels very solid so do the other two.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
This is interesting. I just hope it doesn't have terrible build quality, like the current one has.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I don't know why everyone is dissing the Nexus 7's build quality. It's not metal like the iPad but you knew that before you bought it. I've not got any creaking on mine, it feels super solid despite everything. And hey, it's super cheap for what it is, you can hardly complain.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I like the feel of the back of the N7. Dont know why this build quality always comes into play. You want to spend $329 on a Mini, go ahead. For $199 i think the N7 is a good built and great working device.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
No backfacing camera?

I find it odd that the Nexus 10 has backfacing camera, but the Nexus 7 doesn't.

I'm a lot more likely to use a backfacing camera on a 7" to 8" tablet than a 10" tablet.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia

Haha, that's why the Nexus 7 doesn't have two cameras, because Apple chose looks over functionality?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

My thin iPad mini with two cameras and great battery life seems to fly in the face of your argument.

While I agree that if Google can find some space savings a larger battery may be beneficial. I see many people using their iPads in place of cameras so having a rear camera is a plus imo

Internaut

macrumors 65816
As long as Google slims it down, I'll be fine with the size. 7 inch is perfect and it's easier to hold one handed than the iPad Mini but Google needs to decrease the bezel and make the next Nexus 7 as thin as the iPad Mini.

Yes, that's my thinking too. Keep it at or below the weight of an iPad Mini and the end product will be be very nice in use.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
My nexus 7 feels solid as a rock. I love that I can set it down on any surface and I don't have to worry about scratching it. I wish it was thinner and lighter but the build quality is very good IMO. Outside of the early production issues are people complaining because it isn't made out of aluminum?

I wouldn't mind a slight increase in screen size but the main thing is slightly less weight. Doesn't need to be iPad mini thin but any weight reduction would make it even easier to hold.

2gb of ram would be nice too.

Did I mention I love my nexus 7 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.